Danny Welbeck Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by dd601, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #951 johno, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    you cannot possibly be this much of a ********. I'll let you work things out on your own for awhile.

EDIT: forum acting up, this was meant to be Amdrag. Dunno what happened.

2. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What the ******** are you going on about now?

johno repped this.
  3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    See edit, something strange is going on. :)

4. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A lot of work to do for his future. He moves well, but decisive moves in the last 3rd will take some time.

5. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah, okay. Thought it was a bit weird.

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah. He thinks both a) it is healthy to slag off our youth products b) A whole season of how a player is going to play is indicated in 3 matches, ignore the first, count the 2nd and 3rd.

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just some facts from the game. Danny had 43 touches, the most of any attacker in the game. He completed the highest percentage and 2nd highest number of passes by any attacker. He had a shot on target, same as several attackers.

He was dispossessed twice, gave it away 3 times lets say 5 brainfart moments, RvP had 6, Coutinho and Sturridge had 6 and 5 respectively.

I'm not defending Danny here. But weeks will go by and people may point to this game as if he was shite, worse than RvP or our worst attacker on the night. Again, he wasn't stellar, but he sure as shit wasn't the reason we lost or piss poor as compared to any attacker in this game.

----------------

That aside, I thought it was strange to see how he was deployed today.

I think if he was given a role in the hole, he'd have done better and we'd have done better. For starters, Lucas would either have lost him or got a yellow sooner and Lucas was their best player. He could have disrupted him and beat him to balls. He might have allowed RvP some space and more importantly, he'd have helped Clevs and Carrick.

I'm thinking it MUST have been explicit instructions to stay up top (help with press or keep them from playing high line) because Danny isn't the player who shirks either defensive responsibility or misses an opportunity to get his foot on the ball.

------------

Another note entirely, I hope his development is taken in hand. He's got tremendous tools and we've got to find a way to get the best out of him at whatever position that will be it. Love me some Danny and I'm proud of him.

8. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #958 Amdrag, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    Oh, but it is better to say that the goals will come after one match? Hypocrite. He is still scared shitless in the box. Youth product or not, he needs to stop being a coward in the box.

He has cost us points twice in a week doing that.

9. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    I think we're overrating danny's skill level on this board or we're still judging him on potential. Hes got ideas and flair but not always the technique to execute those ideas, he certainly cant erase defenders at will. The fact that he never wants (or can?) shoot from distance also makes him less of a threat IMO. When Rooney, RVP, Cheech get space near the box you know theyre going for it...

10. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Did Danny have a great chance in this game that I'm not remembering at the moment? He has been fairly poor in the last two games but that goes for pretty much everyone who has been on the pitch. He still needs to work on his end product certainly but I think he has been one of the best attackers through 3 games. Sadly not a lot of competition for that honor at the moment.

11. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You dont watch all of our games do you?

If Welbeck couldnt beat a man, or he didnt have the skills most here think [know] he has, then I dont think Welbeck would be starting on the wing.

Unless you think he's only starting because of his speed and workrate, and that would be absolutely foolish.

12. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    If Welbeck could finish/be decisive in front of goal (both consistently), it's fair to say he would be a top 5-10 attacker in his age bracket.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That was a statement of hope, maybe of expectation... about a kid who has only ever played for Manchester United. I'm so sorry I'm enthusiastic about him.

Regardless, his issue was not an ability to finish or shoot. It was as you mentioned, nerves. Here's hoping that a couple early goals help him along his way. I've nothing left to discuss with you on the subject.

14. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    I watch all of our games... Beating a man and erasimg defenders at will are two different things, agreed? Young and Valencia start a lot of games on the wings, that kinda kills the skill argument.

Ive never said that Welbeck didnt have skills but I do think his skill level is being exagerated. I love his creativity more than his technique. He still slices balls quite often when trying to shoot with power, his passes are not always weighed properly (often short), and his 1v1 moves dont come off all that often. Imo, at least - you can disagree.

I do think that his workrate and movement without the ball are keeping him on the field at this point, especially in big games. He also seems to execute defensive instructions to a T.

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm interested to find out which United players are better at going past players than Welbeck. Care to share?

16. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    nani is the only player on our squad that can regularly get past past defenders in 1v1 situation. a severe lack of dribblers in the squad doesn't make welbeck particularly good at it. if he were at chelsea, his dribbling skills would never be mentioned.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Interesting how you've taken this tact with assessing Welbeck when you didn't for assessing Valencia.

18. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Definitely overrated on this board, so much bullshit here. Kagawa should be on the field before him for goals, but for industry or pace Danny can play.

19. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Your rhetoric is all over the place. Its like asking whos better at taking FK than Rooney on the team. Only RVP. Doesnt mean that Rooney is not wildly inconsistent

Now we're jumping to Valencia. What does that have to do with the price of cheese? Are you still making up that I ever said that he was better than Nani or we're past that now?

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Weren't you one of those people recently arguing that Valencia was our best winger, 'up to a point in the season' ignoring the fact that he was rubbish? Apologies if you weren't.

'My rhetoric' was one line. I don't think that qualifies.

Further to the point I was making, I think Danny is actually quite good. But you've also forgotten Evra who is an excellent dribbler as well.

21. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Welbeck can play on the wing or better yet, defend from the wing while still attacking and not gassing himself.

Kagawa cant.

22. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    To be honest, you are the only person i know taht feels this way.

He's not Nani, but he's way better at getting past players from any position, than any one else on our team. Thats not the logic Im using, just saying.

What the difference between erasing a player, and beating a player again?

23. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    the difference is being able to beat a player and beating players at will. only nani can do the latter. erasing is a synonym, you should read my replies.

i've explained why i'm not overly impressed by being among the best at something this team doesn't do particularly well.

danny is a good, creative player who works hard for the team, and makes intelligent runs. i'd call his skill level and technique promising.i do think that it's overrated by some on this board.

24. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    RVP missed better chances at Anfield tbf.

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I did.

What is it a synonym for?