Danny Welbeck Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by dd601, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    I think before the end of the season, there is going to be a need for tall, physical, pacey striker, who can head the ball. I say we throw this kid on the bench against some of the smaller sides in games that a surely crocked saha would have been on the bench...i hope he's not too bummed out over the penalty miss...

here's a compilation of his team debut...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CKrBlWzgXM4

2. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That fact that that we opted to use him suggests that he's in the frame and even if it was a friendly he seemed to do quite well. Doesn't look That big if I'm to be honest. But as I've stated before.. I'm a sucker for giving the youngsters a 20 min runout in any game that we lead by 2. However with only 5 subs that's always going to be hard...

3. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    I heard he's our most exciting prospect in the academy (along with Brandy).

I'm always eager to hear stuff bout him as I really want him to make it at this club. The fact that he went on tour signals big things are expected of him and I hope he delivers. I hope we don't fluff the CC next year and then Danny can get a platform to perform then. Although the sales of Rossi and Jones have made me more skeptical of youngsters making it, I sincerely hope Danny can buck the trend.

4. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
  5. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    If Rossi couldn't get a look in, then I doubt this kid will either. :(

6. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    rossi had rooney ahead of him in his position, and then we bought tevez, who was better...and rossi wanted to go...

welbeck is competing with crocked saha for playing time

7. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't know too much about this guy...Brandy's the real guy I'm excited to see break the United bench soon.

8. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't realistically see how this lad could get any minutes. If we were really desperate to play some youth why wouldn't we end the loan of Campbell who is way ahead of Welbeck at this point?

With all due respect, could someone please inform me how exactly Welbeck has (allegedly) moved to 4 on the forward depth chart?

9. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    b/c he's here...you don't end frazier's loan b/c you want him to get games, and develop...welbeck can't be loaned this january as far i know...or can he? now that the youth cup is done...

10. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, all due respect, I don't think Welbeck is on the verge of getting minutes. I guess if we really don't have a choice (no Saha, no Rooney, no Ronaldo, no Tevez, no Dong, no Ferdinand, no O'Shea) and if we're ahead by 10 goals late in the second half then maybe, but it doesn't make sense.

Who was that defender who got a couple minutes at the end of last season and hasn't been featured since? This smells like that.

11. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I still think about Giuseppe.. :(

12. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    he's better than dong..saha is always hurt...and he's one for the future...he may get a runout during the congested period around the CL

13. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I think it will be similar to good old whatshisname from the end of last season. How many appearances does he have this season?

14. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Quite a lot of people are interested in Danner's development. If I were still writing the youth profiles he would get a glowing one. But, he's not close to the first team, and getting some minutes in a pointless game, which was also meaningless probably has more to do with all our prospects closer to their do-or-die season here all being out on loan.

Wellbeck would be lucky to even get on the bench if Brandy, Campbell, Martin, Evans, Gibson and Cathcart had've been here.

He's at least two years away from anything for us, and that's because he's not a special 17yr old. His development is merely that of a very good youngster, not a prodigy or a man-boy. He doesn't have strength, height or power in adult terms and he's not particularly fast either.

At 17yrs old those that tend to come through and play are

A) The man-boys
    B) The players who are absolutely lightening quick and thusly can't be chopped down by grown men.
    C) Those of absolutely exceptional technical ability playing in teams who are light in their position.

Wellbeck is none of these things and there's no real reason for him to get a shot in the first team outside of an extreme injury crisis.

I like the lad and his future looks rosey, but he is susceptible to pressure - he does not have that ice cold exterior of a young Rossi or Rooney, and too much to soon is likely to destroy him should he fail.

Under the new board changes, this is an interesting thread. He's a promising talent, but don't read more into the Saudi game then there is, is what I'd suggest.

15. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. DS and I on the board at the same time. It's been a while.

16. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There is no way this kid is near the first team. If all the kids we had out on loan were here, one of them would have been the "fringe player" to come on the trip with the squad. Probably Campbell or Brandy, who are much closer to the first team IMO.

As I mentioned before, Fergie's quotes about Wellbeck were a bit of a surprise to me. I never saw anything too exceptional about him, to put it bluntly. A good player, but I'd like other kids to have a shot ahead of him. Fergie may have said these things only because Wellbeck is the only kids still around, either way I didn't expect such a glowing review of the guy.

17. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Hi,

who are you?

18. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Name's Reggie Hammond.

19. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Pleased to meet you, Reggie.

20. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the new sheriff in town.

21. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    DS how has Brandy been doing this season for the reserves? Heard he's gone on loan, but is that because he's been stellar at reserve level, or because the reserve level has been poor, and its lack of games?

Damn, I wish I didnt go to uni in Hull - effin' shithole it is, but on the brightside, when I get my car in March/April, I'll be able to get to the KC stadium to see Frazier in all his glory :)

22. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I haven't watched all the reserve games this season, but from what I've seen he looks to be improving as a player. His reading of the game and his positioning as well as his confidence in his ankle all seem to have improved and the loan was neccesary because of his game - you can just tell he can go up more levels than reserve footy can get out of him.

The big question would be whether Swansea are using him as a SS or just as a winger ala SWP.

23. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    True, though Swansea have got a Spanish manager, so he should, theoretically atleast, be more susceptible to playing Brandy in his rightful position...

24. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    I didnt intend this thread to revolve around a discussion of whether he will play this year or not...the most significant part of the thread to me was the link to the video...i thought he showed really good attributes there...pace, heading ability, and dribbling activity in his first game against grown men, outside of a practice setting...

check his move at 1.30 in the video where he shrugs off defender, and makes the pass to nani

25. quintessence

quintessence New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I definately agree - he looked excellent (from that compilation). Only time (a lot of it) will tell if he makes it at OT or not.