Merrier as a Terrier: Danny Williams at Huddersfield

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Looks like he got a half with SC Freiburg in a recent friendly:

Der SC Freiburg spielte mit: Pouplin (46. Salz); Cha (46. Mujdza), Williams, Butscher (46. Barth), Olle Olle (46. Rathgeb); Banovic (46. Abdessadki), Makiadi (46. Schuster), Sirigu (46. Targamadze), Glockner (46. Roth); Jäger (46. Bechmann), Idrissou (46. Reisinger).​

And:

Dafür tauchten neben den fünf Neuen (Manuel Salz, Du-Ri Cha, Stefan Reisinger, Cédrik Makiadi und Mensur Mujdza) zwei gänzlich neue Gesichter unterhalb des Batzenbergs auf: Daniel Williams aus der Regionalliga-Mannschaft des Sportclubs durfte sein Können zeigen – und das auch noch als einziger Akteur über 90 Minuten. Der engagiert auftretende Williams verdankt seinen Einsatz der Tatsache, dass der SC nach Topraks Unfall noch einen oder zwei Abwehrspieler sucht, diese auch im Visier, aber noch nicht verpflichtet hat. ​

http://www.badische-zeitung.de/sc-f...l-auftakt-fuer-den-sc-freiburg--16518135.html

However, unless there is another guy with that name in Germany, he may also have played with SG Rot-Weiß Neuenhagen in an earlier match:

Für Neuenhagen spielten: Florian Rudolph; Frank Sommer, Johannes Müller (75. Riccardo Hopf), Johannes Wirth, Philipp Sterna, Robert Herold, Toni Dunkel, Nils Kriwanek, Sven Stepputat (75. Daniel Williams), Mathias Gursche, David Pergamenter.​

http://www.die-fans.de/fussball/akt...in+9:0+Sieg+über+Letschin,41914,,,,,northeast

So he may be on the move. He was not on Freiburg's pro team this past season, so I presume he's looking for a deal and first-team action somewhere (though he's relatively young, still an 89).

Also -- since I don't see Gabriel Hoyos in the Freiburg lineup above, will try to see if there's a story there.

2. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Re: Daniel Williams in Germany (Update)

Must be someone else. Neuenhagen play in the 9th division.

3. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are a bunch of pictures of Daniel in the match reports for SC Freiburg II. Looks like he is a solid starter for the team since returning from injury against Weiden.

http://www.scfreiburg.com/teams/sc-freiburg-ii/archiv

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

5. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As Smithfan pointed out in the gameday thread, he is getting his Bundesliga debut right now against Stuttgart. It is live on GolTV in the US and here is a stream that seems to be working

6. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005

Here is his info provided by Smithfan https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19749470&postcount=2:

Name: Daniel Williams
    Club: SC Freiburg
    Date of birth: 08.03.1989
    Height: 1,80
    Nationality: Germany / USA
    Position: Defensive Midfield, Centreback, Fullback

A 20 yrs old starting in the Bundesliga? I say cap him now!!!;)

Also, can the mods change the title of this thread to Daniel Williams at SC Freiburg.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Has this kid played for Germany at any level or is he worth getting excited about?

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

This is actually quite a surprise, at least to me. At the beginning of the season, Williams was with the second team and -- I believe -- not a professional. Apparently he's had a good year.

He has some interest in playing for the U.S. I don't belive he's spent any meaningful time with the German YNTs.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Well then, without any further ado (not Adu or Edu) allow me to say....

CAP HIM!

10. Rockingout

Rockingout Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Los Angeles County

Lets bust a CAP on him

11. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Daniel is making his second straight Bundesliga start for SC Freiburg against Bayer Leverkusen today

12. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Nice.

13. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

this is awesome for him. A nice german-american contingent is coming through.

14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Williams is making his 3rd straight Bundesliga start for Freiburg today against Schalke

ESPN lists him today as a RM and not a RB. I actually think midfield is his natural positon so we will see how it works out

EDIT: ESPN now has Williams at RB

15. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

this is awesome. I hope bradley calls him in for March 3. I mean, dolo is out, and that leaves us who to look at that hasn't played in the two MLS-NT games?

16. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anything is possible, but the Dutch game will have as many first-teamers as Bradley can call. Which means that Spector and Bornstein will probably play at fullback. I can't imagine a 20-year old who has never played with the team would be called up for such a crucial WC prep friendly.

17. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll give you Bornstein and probably or even maybe Castillo. That might be the one to watch. Castillo or Williams. You can bet that we won't see wynne or alston at this one. When I think of 8 defenders he would bring in, I come up with Onyewu (hopefully), DeMerit, Bocanegra, Spector, Bornstein, Marshall, Castillo, and....well, its a toss up. They need another true winger, and with Dempsey out, and Williams being capeable of right mid, and castillo of left mid, it only makes sense in my opinion.

18. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009

On the other hand, we'll probably take eight defenders to the WC, and after the first 7 selections, we'll probably be 2 deep at RB, 5 deep at CB, and 3 deep at LB, which suggests that the 8th defender should be able to play RB. Anyway, with Cherundolo out, somebody has to go as a back up RB against Holland, in case Spector pulls a muscle in training.

Doesn't it seem likely that a Bundesliga starter is better than Hejduk, Wynne, Alston, or Cameron are now? Maybe it's worth subbing Williams into the game in the second half to find out, especially if no one shows well at RB against El Salvador.

19. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

ohh geez. Hes a Bundesliga starter at 20 years old. And pretty much shutting down his side of the field vs Not only Bayer Leverkusen last week, but today vs Schalke (Also had the best Fouls drawn to fouls commited ration of 4:1, in the game today.)

Yea, lets not call him up because hes 20 and its a crucial WC friendly.

Bradley is not that dumb.

Both England and Germany have brought players to the World Cup who never played in a National game before.

20. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll admit, I have not seen him play. Is he the entrenched starter? I thought he was playing mainly because of injury to the usual starter.

21. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

I believe he made his way-up to the first team from his excellent performences in the second team. Not sure if he got his chance to actually play because of injury , but so far he has gone the full 90 last two games vs Bayern Leverkusen and Schalke...and has not looked out of place at all. pretty much did an excellent job of containing his side. Blocking shots, stealing the ball, and drawing fouls.

22. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It looks like he just replaced Du-Ri Cha, who was a converted RB, and hasn't lost the job since then. And Cha, after playing most of the season at RB, has started in the midfield the last two games after coming on as a midfield sub in the Williams' first game

23. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Really looking forward to Danny Williams, he'll never be great but he has a chance to be a solid fullback.

24. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

I did a quick google on him and the one article i read said that he intends to play for Germany

25. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

[​IMG]