Damallsvenskan et alia 2012

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Apr 17, 2012.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely wouldn't call Adams and Fletcher "stars" or big names but I think they're both very solid pros. At one point, I thought Fletcher would make a very good USWNT dmid/holding mid back up to Boxx. But that's a subject for several years ago and a different forum. I'll have to look more closely at which USA players have ventured to Europe for play this summer.

2. flax

flax Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Sweden
    Sofie Andersson has played for both Kristianstad and K/Göteborg in Damallsvenskan, but was in Vittsjö last year and was the top goalscorer in Söderettan. New this year in Vittsjö are Dutch goalkeeper Loes Geurts, Scotland's Ifeoma Dieke, Americans Danesha Adams and Kendall Fletcher and the promising Swedish defender Emma Kullberg. Emma Sjödahl and New Zealands Kirsty Yallop weren't with the club the whole season last year. All these players are now in the starting-11 so it's quite a new team really. Dutch defender Mandy van den Berg will join the club in August.

3. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    From the Frauenfussball Schweden blog, about Tyresö:
    :eek:
    (One of the players got so upset about women smoking at a cafe table next to her that, when one the smokers refused to put her cigarette out, she pulled her hair?!)

4. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Kerfuffle... marta... Not arrested, though police were called...

5. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008

:eek: Those hot-blooded Swedes...

6. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Don't know if you've noticed, but Marta's not Swedish.

7. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Jane Törnqvist is going to play two more matches and then that's it?! :eek:

8. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    This is the worst news ever.

9. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I (almost) second that emotion.

10. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Fear not. You may see Krahn in Sweden instead.

11. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    THIS IS THE WORST NEWS EVER.

12. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It's a very strange feeling, getting ready to board a train that one knows is taking one to see the End. I feel detached, impersonal, absent.

13. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Since being found guilty of soliciting a prostitute last Autumn, Hans Löfgren, former "sports manager" at Tyresö, has been claimed to have had "no official role" in the club: the official line is that he's just an ordinary club member and supporter. Why do they embarrass themselves by spouting such utter nonsense? Löfgren spent yesterday's match between Tyresö and Göteborg on the media terrace above the bench, scribbling notes, shouting directions to the players, and making very vocal analyses of the match together with some other Tyresö representatives. At half time, he scurried off to the players' tunnel to catch up with the team, then was back on the terrace for the second half. At the final whistle, he went on to the pitch, handing out flowers and prizes, hugging players...

How many "ordinary members and supporters" get to sit on the media terrace... get access to the players' tunnel... get to go on the pitch with flowers after the match? And if he only has an "inofficial" role at the club, who gives him the official badge he had around his neck? The club would maintain a lot more credibility if they just stated "Yes, he got caught, but we don't think it was a big deal, plus we need him around so much that we don't care".

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any reports on how Becky Edwards is doing for Kristianstads? I thought she'd be a worthy backup for Boxx at one point.

15. MarlandRules

MarlandRules New Member

Dec 26, 2011
    I saw all the comments on twitter, but it seemed to be journalists upset the most. Is it a big deal with fans and sponsors?

16. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    My rather uninformed guess would be that the club's official statements reflect their difficulty in balancing Löfgren's popularity with fans (he IS Tyresö to many Tyresö fans, and even to many of the players) with the need to appease sponsors such as UN Women. Rather unsurprisingly, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women were far from thrilled when the story went public in April. Their sponsorship deal was signed in February, several months after Löfgren was charged (December). Despite claims that he no longer had an official role in the club, Löfgren was the contact person for UN Women, something which obviously became impossible once the verdict was delivered. Several members of the board said as much, one of them (a politician) going as far as to state that she foresaw a future impact on sponsorship.

Tyresö's claims that Löfgren had no official role with the club beyond last winter (when charges were made) were made even more ludicrous by Marta's agent stating that negotiations were exlusively carried out with Hans Löfgren. Ironically, she signed in February, on the same day that UN Women signed their sponsorship agreement. It also happened to be International Crime Victim Day (oh, I love to get the snark out...).

17. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    She scored a goal the other day :p.

Seriously, though... Coach Gunnarsdottir seems rather happy with her. Edwards is signed up for the rest of the season and they're already negotiating a contract for the 2013 season. Kristianstad are dead set on a Champions League spot and are also in the process of recruiting Margret Lara Vidarsdottir for the second half of this season.

The local paper, Kristianstadsbladet, is your best bet for news (though we all know what Google Translate does to Swedish :rolleyes: ).

kool-aide repped this.
  18. MarlandRules

MarlandRules New Member

Dec 26, 2011
    So I guess the more pressing question is can he bring in enough sponsors to replace the ones that are unhappy so the club can keep the fans and players happy.

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my all time favs, Chalupny is looking to go overseas and Sweden is her preference.

21. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's this I'm hearing about Camille Levin and the Damallsvenskan? Anyone have news on that?

22. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Well, she tweeted that she was joining Göteborg...

23. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    She's now signed with Göteborg. The club are touting her on their web page as "an all-round player, but primarily a replacement for Jane Törnqvist in the backline".

24. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. Cool. Will be interesting to see how she does. Thanks for the info, Micol and Smulan.

25. welshfan

welshfan Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States