Damallsvenskan et alia 2012

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Apr 17, 2012.

1. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1st off the match that K/Göteborg demolishes Linköping 6-0 ended w/ them winning. I agree w/ you that a 3 goal lead doesn't mean that a game is over. However, if a team can not defend a 3-0 lead, than they deserve to draw or lost. 2nd, I never said a team winning by 3 goals has to sit back and not work. I said that team should work on Plan B or Plan C at that point, and if they happen to score goals by that, than so be it. A team at the professional level up 3-0 in America w/ our ideology on Sportsmanship is not suppose to contiue to score for the sole purpose of getting another goal. It's to work on Plan B or Plan C. That's what the reporter was indicating w/ his questioning.

This is crazy, at professional level they do not just keep hammering goals for the sole purpose of scoring goal and not they don't pull back at an 8 goal lead. After a 3 goal lead you pull back. They only team on a regular bases that will keep scoring are the USMNT & USWNT, they run up the score. Running up the score in sports in America Football(soccer), American Football, Basketball at the pro level is looked down upon.

This doesn't apply at the youth levels.

2. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Hmm, I assume those leagues do not have goal difference as first tiebreaker and goals scored as second tiebreaker if two teams end at with the same number of points?

3. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We have playoffs here in the States. Top 5 teams from 2 different conference automatically get in(ten teams total). If there's a need for tie breakers, who gets in, who's out, who's the higher seed; they use head-to-head competition 1st(like La Liga) of teams that are on equal points. If, teams are than still equal on head-to-head, they look at the goal differential(EPL). There's other tie breakers after this.

4. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    jocasta, your cover seems to be working. Nobody'd ever guess that the first thing you did when you came out of the womb was rope a steer and go looking for oil wells.

5. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Since she seems to be popular 'round here, more on Press: hear a post-game interview at sverigesradio (in English, and not the same interview as referred to earlier although much of the same ground is covered) and see her goals in the game at YouTube. (tack Dandal)

The funny thing is that I can't imagine a Swedish sports reporter asking a Swede the same question. Of course winning by 6 goals is embarrassing, everyone knows that, although it is a little awkward when one has to keep goal differential in mind (of course Umeå were happy to beat Bälinge 11-1 back in '08 with no games left and the season won but we're not talking about that). Hence my suspicion of American-baiting. I think perhaps he was counting on getting a very American response, and in this he was not disappointed.

Håll tyst, Smulan, allt går efter ritningarna... (och kor och olja kom senare, det första var att fånga en skallerorm)

6. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    See Lisa Ek's nice opening goal and also Press's goals from the Linköping game (her second is my favorite, nice concentration and speed), and some damn depressed looking Linköping players sitting around afterward. When did Linköping go pink? Does the color just follow Manon Melis now from team to team? Hey, where was she, anyway?

7. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Couldn't it as well be following Nilla Fischer?

But the colour do match Linköpings performance so far this year (apart from the Tyresö game), a pinkish red hue of shame.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You clearly live in a different part of the USA than I. Because pro/collegiate teams I've watched (and even a good chunk of youth teams) do not act as you describe. Nor is scoring a good batch of goals looked down upon by fans/etc in the USA. If anything, one of the 'popular' knocks against soccer n the USA by non-fans or casual fans is the typical low scoring games. Teams might try different things (eg x # of passes b/f a shot or two touch only) when up 8-10 on a far inferior team. But never 3-0.

9. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's not how our country is in Soccer, when your up 3 goals you stop scoring w/ plan A and work on plan B or C. If goals follow after that than so be it. If X-pro team needs to score 4 up before their comfortable to play w plan B or C that's what they do. Some teams need 4 goals not 3 to put the game away for them. After, that everything else applies. At the professional level it's unsportsman like to keep scoring for the sole purpose to score after the game is put away.

This is the same practice in a few sports at the pro level, Soccer, Basketball(one doesn't score at the end of the game if one's up a descent amount, one just runs down the clock), football(ie Drew Breze 5000 passing yard mark).

Youth teams don't practice this, their playing for development. Even than they change up positions and/or strategy.

National teams will keep scoring and not change their strategy, clubs teams are discourage of scoring just to score.

The casaul fan wants to see a games w/ goals where both sides are in the match, not lobsided. Having a score of 5-0, 8-0, 10-0 is not a match for to attract casual fans. The games that sell are the games that have score lines of 3-5, 2-5,4-8 etc those are the type of games that gain interest not 5-0 or other blowouts.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, you must experience a part of the USA that I do not. I've watched more than a fair share of sports in the USA in my lifetime and while sometimes fans of other teams might moan about running up the score, what you describe is not at all my experience. I've seen tons of teams "run up" scores or simply just score a lot. In soccer, in basketball, in American football, in field hockey, baseball, etc. Some leagues have "mercy" rules but those tend to be for the very young. And in soccer, the 3-0 score is not at all the point where I've seen teams playing far inferior teams start to "hold back" b/f scoring.

11. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What part don't you understand. I never said teams "hold back" nor did I suggest it, get that thought thur your head. I said teams use plan B or C, whatever those plans included, they are a different form of attack than Plan A. If, they score by using plan B or C so be it. Using Plan B or C doesn't mean one stops playing or "holds back", it just means one plays different, practices another form of attacking offense.

Running the score up at the pro level is consister bad sportsmanship, Brees got stick for running up the score last season in a game that was over, for him to get over a career 5000yard passing for a season; when the game was over. Rondo ran the score up when the game was over w/ just a shot clock left, and received criticism for doing that. If it's at the begining of the season or midseason for hockey, a coach may give more ice time to his 3 & 4 line guys if it's a blow out game in the 3rd period. Closer to playoff time that probably happens less. There are other examples.

I watch pro sports just like you and other here.

Lets agree to disagree.

12. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Thats why it makes sense in leauges run for profit, particullary without a promotion/regulation system (where a tem that really sucks will stay in the leauge and probably keep that rep after it recovered the strength). But non of those reasons is relevant in Sweden, and here each goal haev a value for the end tally.

13. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

That's why the reporter ask Press if she thought they scored to many goals, in that 6-0 win, from our ideology of some sport practices.

14. GambitSWE

GambitSWE Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Landvetter
    Club:
    Göteborg FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I can't say for sure, but I think the reporter referred the score against a team of Linköpings standing. Linköping was thought to be the utmost contender to Tyresö for the gold. With the squad they have, they should be. Malmö was considered for a third place before Damallsvenskan began. The only other big-scoring game, was between Umeå and Malmö, which Malmö won with 1-7 away. Although it made some headlines with that result, it wasn't as shocking as this one, since Umeå wasn't considered to belong to the top teams.

So I think the reporter meant more if she thought that six goals was too many, against an opponent of Linköpings "presumed" standing. That thing about not kicking somebody that's already down, is perhaps more a North America thing. 6-0 is a pretty huge number in soccer, but not overly when you count in the fact that it is womens soccer we are talking about. Look at the french league, Lyon has made 116 goals in 21 games. The only low-scoring games are against Montpellier, Juvisy and PSG. All other teams doesn't stand a chance, and often loose with huge numbers.

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, for a player that scored 71 goals in 4 years at Stanford it's so against nature to play in high scoring games. Whatevs, believe what you want to believe. :rolleyes:

So, um, I know I haven't paid attention at all but Vittjö? Tied for 2nd?

16. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't they a just promoted team? (That is taking names, kicking butt on the pitch apparently.)

17. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes, they are the biggest surprise so far. It was assumed by pretty much all "experts" that they would be down there with the other newly promoted team AIK and the depleted Djurgården figthing to avoid regulation.

18. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hey how about you stop with the insults. I never said she didn't play in high scoring games.

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having already admitted to my ignorance of most things Vittjö (though I do see an American, Danesha Adams is on the roster), did they pick up new players prior to the season or are these mostly the ones that won promotion?

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading about the possibility of Sjörgran's season being done makes me :(

21. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I do know know, honestly. I 'feel' as though read a lot of stories last year about Vittsjö acquiring this and that, here and there, but what players remain of the team that got them there, I'm not sure. They have been remarkable, and especially this Sofie Andersson who has scored 7 goals so far. She was there last year, I believe... edit, oh yes, here's her page, perhaps she's always been there? No previous club affiliation given... not for some others either, they need to pick up a little web slack here... ha, she herself picked her team to finish 8th in Damallsvenskan...

Yes, yes, very sad indeed, for LdB and Team Sweden as well. Not sure if she'll play again at all, being... well... you know. (old.)

22. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    As long as I've come up for a brief gasp of air down here... For your viewing pleasure, here's a treat in honor of Tyresö hosting Djurgården this weekend... Yes, all Hail the Return to Damallsvenskan of one Miss Jessica Landström, gracing the blue and navy stripes just as she did ten years ago. Haw!

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I looked a little closer at Vittjö's roster and found Kendall Fletcher there. Yay! I've followed Kendall since her UNC days. I don't know where they're playing her but she's a really solid defensive mid and can be used as a defender. She's gotten under a certain Tyresö star's skin enough that she took a swing in one game and two arm pushed her in another. :devilish:

I might have to cheer for the little underdogs--unless that means they start not winning. Hear that soccer-karma-jinx-gods? I haven't picked 'em yet. So don't do anything to 'em.

24. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes, they did some rercuting. But not any big names, you have already found the two biggest Danesha Adams and Kendall Fletcher (and nothing against them but hardly very big as names goes), and not that many either, four or five altougheter IIRC.

25. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Pernille Harder to Linköping.
    (Shame, I wouldn't have minded seeing her in Germany...)