Dallas Sidekick News

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by IndoorSoccerNews, Apr 27, 2012.

1. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear God... I LIKE MPS scoring, and I don't like that idea.

Just remember, a camel is actually just a horse designed by a committee...

2. puma10

puma10 Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Rockford
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, an indoor soccer purist!!!

You are right, let’s protect the integrity of this strong and growing sport.:cool:

3. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    He would be the opposite of an indoor purist. An NPSL purist maybe.

4. puma10

puma10 Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Rockford
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think having multiple points in the last 2 or 3 minutes of the game offers the best solution for both leagues. A team who is down by 3 goals with 3 minutes left will still have a chance to win if they score two goals from the outside of the arc, not an easy thing to do.:cool:

5. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    I totally agree... and to REALLY make our game more exciting, each time should have one pit bull on its bench. They are only allowed to release it ONCE, and only if the opponent has a 3-on-1 or better...

dcunitedTV repped this.
  6. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it makes no sense to change the scoring rules during the fianl 3 mins of the game

soccersubjectively repped this.
  7. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hells, yeah.

Don't forget a 1-point shootout attempt on a blue card, and the rule that I miss the most; on a ball out of play, the restart taken where last touched.

8. EnricoSharke

EnricoSharke Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the end of regulation, keep playing: next score wins. Although the pit bull idea, that would work well too.

9. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the days of the power play disadvantage where you could only score 1 point on a power play but the short handed team could score 2 or 3 points!

I was surprised that more teams didn't decline the power play (which was an option). If you declined the power play, you still got the 1 point shoot-out attempt and the penalized player still had to go to the penalty box for at least 2 minutes. I only saw a power play declined once when Buffalo was down by 3 against Baltimore (?) with less than 2 minutes in a game.

I am still amazed that people think MPS makes the game more exciting. The most exciting thing about indoor soccer is sudden death/victory overtime. We'd have a lot more of them with the correct scoring system!

10. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Kit, as a MPS fan, your statement above is the best reason I've heard yet to go back to supporting SPS. Overtime is the best. All the other reasons I've heard are all bunk (will see attendance increase, league will flourish, traditionalists will support the game, you'll get back on national tv, we'll have a 20 team league going coast-to-coast, world peace will finally occur).

11. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    thats what we always did as kids when game was almost over - "Ok next goal wins" or "next run wins" or "next basket wins" we didn't care who was winning or losing at that point but next goal wins
    so with under 5 seconds left the losing team is able to call that out and the game rides on that

12. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    None of these are reasons anyone has cited. But it can't be good when the sport's biggest fan is embarrassed to recommend Blast games because of the stupid rules.

13. cdskou

cdskou Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    The multi -point system was created for a Vegas betting line.

14. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Well then it was 100% failure.

15. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Syd, my list of outcomes was generally "tongue-in-cheek" (world peace, really?). The only thing I've ever heard is the SPS is "better" because that is what was used in MISL1, therefore making it somehow more legitimate and, therefore, more sellable, which I believe was your point all along. Personally, I don't think the scoring system make any difference in the success of any indoor soccer league, as history shows a multitude of leagues folding that have used both scoring system. My only point was that I was agreeing with Kit that overtime games are very exciting and logic would dictate that SPS games would have a higher percentage of games going into overtime then MPS games.

As to your embarrassment of recommending Blast games because of the "stupid" rules, I think that's your problem to deal with.

16. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please take the soccer-point scoring vs basketball-point scoring debate to it's own thread.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How'd that work out, then?

Despite the often-offered canard that most gamblers will gamble on absolutely everything, what they actually don't do is wager on sports they don't care about and can't build a reasonable "system" for. Anyone who would go through an MISL season and say, "I have an aunt in Rockville, so I'll bet Baltimore minus the points against Milwaukee" probably isn't the type of guy who'll make a killing betting on MISL games (if you could find a bookie even willing to take the action, and good luck getting a legitimate sports book to do it).

It's far, far easier and lucrative (and fun, let's be honest) to wager on a sport you can actually understand, that you have a history with, and that you can watch on television. Nobody's going to put money down on an MISL game and then wait to find out the score online or watch the online stream. And sports books (legal and otherwise) aren't wasting time with something only a handful of people care enough about to buy tickets for, much less gamble on.

The whole notion that multi-point would create gambling interest and gambling interest would create actual interest was doomed from the start. It's just another in the long line of decisions made in place of actual thought about owners and business plans and stuff like that.

dtid repped this.
  19. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    ... Maybe add a second pit bull in overtime?

cardshopmd repped this.
  20. dcunitedTV

dcunitedTV Member

Sep 30, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey getting back on topic. Is anyone recording the over the air Time Warner Broadcasts? NOT the Webcast

21. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas