Daily Mail Top 50 players ever

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by PDG1978, Jun 14, 2009.

1. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Maybe you could post some extracts in the "Brief Histoy of tactics" thread?
    Especially about the older ones

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  2. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Some footage of Channon (& Frank Worthington) in action:

msioux75, PDG1978 and JamesBH11 repped this.
  3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Channon does his Windmill celebration after his goal I see (think he did a more extreme version at other times though).

Did you happen to see that I posted Jimmy Greaves's top 50 British players (with a few words about each player) on Puck's Placar thread Roy? Some names that you have mentioned a few times included (eg Cliff Jones and Nat Lofthouse are in, and also Johnny Haynes is right up near the top and Billy Wright in the top half). I can link it here if you're not sure where to find it but I thought you might like to see it if you hadn't already in a newspaper or online....

4. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    JamesBH11 and PDG1978 repped this.
  5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Dalglish showing his magic:

7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Here a good piece about Bergkamp, published yesterday
    http://www.theguardian.com/football...-stunning-moments-dennis-bergkamp-wonder-goal

Btw, the whole series is alright
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/series/25-stunning-world-cup-moments

For example the Hand of God piece.

laudrup_10 repped this.
  8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    La-Máquina repped this.
  9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I spotted a nice series with highlights of two star players from Serie A, from a few stand-out games for each. There is a Maradona vs Platini one on Youtube too that I haven't watched yet (and also one for Napoli vs Juventus, so they have versions for teams too) but here is one for Roberto Baggio and Marco van Basten:

In Van Basten's certainly, there's not much if anything I haven't seen (maybe one or two moments for Baggio though) but still a nice video and perhaps a good guide to some games of each of each player to look at and/or make videos for....

11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Not sure if I posted this on this thread before or not, but here is Baggio remembering Van Basten plus Gullit and Baresi:

Not sure @La-Máquina if you'd like to translate any interesting comments, to enhance the footage for us?
    @leadleader - just tagging you for the above video in case the Inter-Milan game in 1989 might be a good one for Van Basten for example, or even if you have extra ideas for Baggio though I think he's one you are very familiar with.

leadleader repped this.
  12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yesterday Demetrio Albertini was interviewed on television (about Italy). Without being asked for it he started an enthusiastic appraisal about Van Basten (Albertini also features prominently in the Football's Greatest episode ofc). It seems he's sort of a fan, like me haha.
    He said it is maybe sort of a pity he played so advanced in the forward line because it saw him "absorbing most of the charges and blows". Most of the things he said also passed by in the Football Greatest episode IIRC but in his eyes MvB was probably the most skilled/gifted header that ever lived.

Anyway, the accuracy of player ratings is always doubtful (with defenders/goalkeepers being advantageous too?), but this shows ratings from the 1989-90 season.
    http://football-ratings.blogspot.com/2011/12/memory-lane-serie-1989-90.html
    I'd say that a margin of ~0.10 points difference is an insignificant separation anyway.

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, he was the one in the Footballs Greatest Van Basten episode that said that at times Gullit received more attention but to him (and other players?) Van Basten was the finest player I think. Something to that effect anyway IIRC.

14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #1739 PuckVanHeel, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014

That's at 22:13. That they listened to him even though Gullit was more charismatic and outspoken.

Also comments along similar lines at 18:48; 25:10

Now I've seen that again (esp. the comment at 25:10), he did say something very similar yesterday on TV, yes. Anyway, just replied it to you because I saw the similarities in comments (cf. the Footballs Greatest series of 2010).

Sacchi says in a off-spring series that Van Basten was "the best" and the "icing on the cake" but "Gullit was number one" and the "leader".

Full remarks are at 6:35. Continuation on a similar theme at 13:05. Saying that he risked his job when attracting Rijkaard (because Berlusconi preferred the Argentine Borghi as third foreigner & media attraction?).

But Sacchi fell out with MvB in 1991, was fired as a result (said Berlusconi himself at least; probably more circumstances played a role) and when Sacchi was one of the few managers to not include MvB in the top three for the 1992 year (FIFA world player; back then only managers were eligible to vote), it was rumoured Sacchi had still hard feelings.

15. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Fair observation.
    In the 1989/90 Serie-A season, in the ratings resume, van Basten "could be" (statistically) named the best foreigner and arguably a top-5 performer.
    According that only source, La Republicca.

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Agree. It's only one source.

Matthaus is in that list the highest placed offensive player. All players above him are defensive players (one DM/CM, Marocchi, and all others goalkeepers or defenders).

That sources can vary greatly shows the 1983-84 season (where foreign stars Platini, Zico and Brady interchange positions depending on source).
    http://football-ratings.blogspot.com/2011/11/memory-lane-serie-1983-84.html
    http://football-ratings.blogspot.com/2014/05/memory-lane-serie-198384.html
    http://football-ratings.blogspot.com/2014/02/serie-highest-averages-ratings-in-one.html
    (I know that the last one is Gazzetta dello Sport)
    DBScalcio (average of Gazzetta dello Sport, Tuttosport and Corriere dello Sport) had 1. Zico (7.08) 2. Platini (6.66) and 3. Brady (6.64)

msioux75 repped this.
  17. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Was Van Basten that great a header, I though Gullit was a more skilled header of the ball. I would say Van Basten is the greatest volley shooter in history, a good third of his goals came that way, including his most memorable in the Euro88 final.

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It's a personal perception (and personal taste) but while a player like Gullit had an insane jump and wasn't really bad, I think it is fair to say that Gullit didn't make headers like these.

But Gullit jumped higher yes, had more power and had proper ankles eventually (esp. causing huge troubles on transitions to imperfect pitches). But I can see it when ppl rank the other one as a more skilled header. Cristiano Ronaldo has also more hangtime and airtime.

You can also see the feeling and sensitivity for the ball with his head when he was off-form (out of shape?)

Or in shape:

19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Saw also this one somewhere (I thought on twitter?)

A number of those goals became assisted by either Gullit or MvB. Gullit is very well recognizable but an MvB assist is for example at 0:13 or 2:00, 3:08
    At 0:40 a pre-assist.
    Baresi assist at 1:12.

20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Both were great in the air, but Basten was just better in header

22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I might as well post a video I created here - it's just for entertainment purposes really although hopefully a nice 'guide'/introduction to the qualities and some of the best moments of the players shown.

I plan to do 8 videos in the end hopefully including 100 players. I'll be using my own list as the guide (but if I used the consensus top 100 from this thread I'd be lacking enough good footage for some players in the top half of it anyway) so I'm afraid I'm not taking requests for players to include, or the clips to use - I already have plenty more in mind including probably the 8 each I'll use for Laudrup and Muller on the next video for example which I'll maybe get done next week.

In some ways these compilations are so 2007 lol! I linked a really good top 30 best players ever one someone produced in that year, in this thread when I started tallying top 30 votes as well as top 50. But I think as entertainment, and to compliment the excellent videos of a players touches in a single game or over a few games from a players year or time at a club (as well as of course all the good footage of full games and highlights) they are still a good addition and hopefully this one and the others I'll do are worth producing:

I've made the video unlisted for now at least but I guess people viewing this thread will see the video or at least a link to it....

The next video will contain:
    Franco Baresi
    Kenny Dalglish
    Luis Figo
    Garrincha
    Michael Laudrup
    Bobby Moore
    Gerd Muller
    Ronaldinho
    Ronaldo
    Karl-Heinz Rummenigge
    Lev Yashin
    Zico
    (I did think about waiting to post the first two together but I think some of you might like to view the first one this weekend).

Gregoriak, JamesBH11 and RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I know Puck is planning some more videos on his channel on Daily Motion with the touches of a player in a single game so I'll link the latest Dalglish video (from 77/78 European Cup vs Borussia Monchengladbach) and his account here now too:

http://www.dailymotion.com/user/PuckvH/1
    And a Vimeo page too - http://vimeo.com/user26204590

And leadleader and others would be welcome to use the thread to post such videos too. I think the thread has moved past it's original theme now, although if new votes do come in then I'll tally them of course. To use it for observation and and discussion of some of the best ever players is certainly fine.

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The music is more associated with cricket and skiing but I think it fits nicely:

RoyOfTheRovers and Gregoriak repped this.
  25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Part 3 is done already:

RoyOfTheRovers and Gregoriak repped this.