CUSTOMIZING YOUR BOOTS [2] - Tips and tricks here plz!

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejgrownarseman

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice. I love that colorway as well. I have the black/white/red colorway. Great boots. I hear you about stepping on someone. I always thought guys wearing Vapors, etc in the EPL were freaking nuts. Getting stomped on wearing a thin synthetic on a cold, wet January day? No thank you. Hurts bad enough wearing leather and getting stomped on by FG studs on a warm day. A whack to the shin I can take just fine, a stud to the toe not so much.

gwood88 repped this.
  2. gwood88

gwood88 Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks! I have used them one more time since then and they are preforming great. I am really glad I converted them into mixed sole. To think I was about to sell them for about forty USD! So glad I didn't do that too.

3. ejgrownarseman

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking of converting mine now, too. I rarely/never use them as is and I don't have any SG boots. I live in FL, though, so rarely would mixed sole boots be needed or even acceptable. I'm not even sure they're allowed in my league, but I could use them for training when they're warranted. Or I may convert my blacked out Copas. Not sure.

4. gwood88

gwood88 Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You should do it! It was a really fun project. I don't really have much use for SG boots either but it's still nice to have a pair when the rare occasion calls for them. When I have worn them all of my teammates are always very interested in them.

Since the ground is rarely soft enough for a SG boot try to find SG studs that are on the shorter side. Try to go for the 10mm round ones or the 11mm Nike SG ones.

5. AdidasPredatorMANIAC

Jul 6, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Guys, im planning to spray paint some nike sg pro studs. Do i add clear coat before or after?

6. gwood88

gwood88 Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Clear coat after. It protects the paint. Honestly though, I don't know how well the paint will stay on. Studs endure a quite a bit of stress, definitely the most wear of out any part of the boot. I expect the paint would start to show some scratches after less than one use.

Anyway, if you do decide to do it make sure you leave the threads of the screws clean.

AdidasPredatorMANIAC repped this.
  7. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah look at adidas studs, they start off that reddy colour and then are soon silver after one wear or so

8. gusgorman

gusgorman Member

May 14, 2013
    Bristol, UK
    Did you try this? How did it work out?

9. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't see it working because they are rubber they constantly have friction against them so it will just wear off the more you wear them.

appleCORR

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  10. john_mizuno8

john_mizuno8 Member

Olympiakos
    Greece
    Mar 16, 2012
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    is there a color that I can paint the rubber sole of my astro boots???

11. ejgrownarseman

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. Any color you like. I wouldn't expect it to last more than an hour or two, though.

12. ejgrownarseman

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shameless bump. Because I love this thread and my blacked out Copas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, I am wearing leg warmers in July.....don't ask.

;)

b0sk1 and gwood88 repped this.
  13. serginhobertholi

Feb 28, 2011
    Pará - Brasil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not mine...
    Another magic by Vitor Marins and Mr. Nenenzão :thumbsup:

vitor.jpg

jayc23, gwood88 and john_mizuno8 repped this.
  14. Shinobu

Shinobu Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Narnia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

what did you use to black out?

15. ejgrownarseman

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kiwi leather dye bought at Target. First I went over all the white areas with a black sharpie to give it a dark base coat. Then applied 3 coats of the dye - each one about an hour apart. I went over the entire boot with the dye to give it a uniform texture and color. They usually need some slight touching up every 5 or so uses but nothing major.

Shinobu repped this.
  16. rino337@gmail.con

rino337@gmail.con New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Feeling the blacked out nikes.

17. DeMpSeYfan6

DeMpSeYfan6 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    fullerton
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if there are any professional boot customizers in the U.S. that can do FG to Mixed? I'm hesitant to do it on my own and the shipping to the UK there and back is to much.

18. gwood88

gwood88 Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why don't you do it yourself? It is fairly easy.

19. AdidasPredatorMANIAC

Jul 6, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    puma-evospeed-1-jasmine-green-white-monaco-blue-fluo-yellow-side.jpg
    What should I use to get rid of the white formstripe shown here on the EvoSpeed 1 (fades away into purple).

It has somewhat of a grip clear coat material on top of each line in the formstripe (very thin layers though).

Would AceTone do the job? Obviously It needs a strong substance, so nail polish remover wont do anything....

20. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    acetone will take it off... but be careful it doesn't strip the whole colour off

21. Dog7

Dog7 Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hi, was thinking of customising some mizuno Morelia's.

Wanted to first of all shorten the tongue. Know ppl on here have just cut of the fold over flap, but I was thinking of using this white part to form the new tongue under the laces. Has anyone ever done this?

Also wanted to remove the mizuno logo on the outside of the boot rather than black it out. Would this be achievable?

Thanks

Smallrod repped this.
  22. gwood88

gwood88 Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you remove the stitching at the top of the white fold over where it attaches to the rest of the tongue it just comes right off. I just kept mine like that. What is the point in doing that when you can just put it underneath the laces?

Also, I wouldn't mess with removing the mizuno logo. It exposes some important stitches which could ruin the boot if they get damaged.

23. Shinobu

Shinobu Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Narnia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone whiteout the new white copas?

24. AllanBhoy

AllanBhoy Member

Feb 5, 2013
    The Canadian Republic
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    So any tips on how to blackout a leather boot (most likely F50)? I know there's the Tootsboots DIY kits, but those are quite expensive for what seems to be basic leather dying produts.
    From what I've managed to piece together:
    1. Clean the boot with acetone
    2. Apply a few coats of leather dye (found some online)
    3. Apply leather finisher (also online)

Am I missing anything?

25. hahanice

hahanice Member

Oct 30, 2013
    New poster here but wanted to share my recent blackouts.

I try to only buy blackouts, but the Nitrocharges didnt have any so i figured I would give it a go myself.

They turned out incredibly well. Its very hard to get the green behind the mesh stuff. at first I had just sharpied the stripes black but the green was still very visable. wore them for a few months like that before finally deciding to try and do it right.

got some feiblings leather dye. and sof sole waterproofer.

1. I did about 2 more coats after this, so any spots that seem to be missed i got in the next few coats.
    2. after playing, the dye help up really well, but started to come off the rubber energy sling, and the Adidas stripes. I dont mind just touching them up with dye or sharpieing them every week but does anyone have a permanent solution? really tough for the dye to penetrate the rubber. (i hope these images work)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]