CUSTOMIZING YOUR BOOTS [2] - Tips and tricks here plz!

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. Barca106

Barca106 Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Connecticut, US
    Just like another member in the previous thread, Ive tried contacting customfootyboots.com to get my CTR's blacked out, but have had no response. Anyone know if Matt Gol1 is still doing blackouts?

3. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Might be back logged plus didn't he have a full time job onto of customfootyboots?

4. Matt_Gol1

Matt_Gol1 New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hi Guys,

I haven't been on here for a while as things have been so busy. I believe that I have now caught up on all email queries that I have been sent, so if you haven't had a response I apologise, but I simply didn't get the email!!!

I have torn my ligaments yet again and I am in an Aircast for 6-8 weeks, so apart from 2 days where I wasn't actually picking up emails last week I believe I'm up to date! David was right, I did have another full time job, but not anymore. I have however bought a shop that needs to be renovated, and because of this our workshop is moving. The slight disruption has passed quite smoothly and with pre season about to start in the coming weeks work is picking up. We are a small company which is why I respond to ALL emails myself and oversee everything that is sent/dispatched so I know that our customers (hopefully) will be happy.

We have an embroidery machine on its way, so names/numbers/flags etc can be applied to boots, but the machines take a while to come from Germany! As soon as it's here, I can let people know if interested, and it will be on the site (which needs updating badly).

I'm blown away by the comments on this forum, and as the site has never really been advertised (most of our custom is from local customers) I was shocked that we had 2000 hits in 7 days. Rest assured we are planning big things and if you have any questions or problems feel free to email - I don't bite and I will always try to help. Private messages on here is not really the best way to contact me - matt@customfootyboots.com is my direct email. We are open Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm (UK)

Thanks to everybody that has posted about us, and sorry for the length of this!

5. endlesswinterco

endlesswinterco BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2008
    East Coast
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Matt produces some great products, couldn't be happier with the way my CTRs turned out.

6. maze2daze11

maze2daze11 Member

Jan 17, 2009
    So Cal
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am soooo tempted to try his services out but am turned off by the long shipping date. I live in Southern California. :(

7. Matt_Gol1

Matt_Gol1 New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Unfortunately, I'm unable to control the time it takes to ship items 'across the pond' but at the time of shipping endlesswinterco's boots, the UK had a number of bank holidays and the royal wedding which meant postal services were closed. Also at the main Royal Mail Depot in London a few suspect packages turned up so security was mental - I didn't receive normal post for a week. Anyway, you could have them back from me in 2 days - but the shipping is not cheap - I always ship with a tracking number and insurance for the RRP of the boots at least so to avoid huge postage costs I choose the 4-7 working day service but this is unfortunately not always the case. Time constraints could be because of the delivery method people use to send them to me too. I understand a lot of people are reluctant to send boots from abroad because a blackout costs £15 GBP, but the postage back to the US is now just shy of £20 GBP with 4-7 day service and a tracking number + insurance. Add to that the shipping cost of getting the boots to us = the question is it worth it?!

Rest assured we are doing all we can to try and rectify this somehow and again, sorry for the long post - I just wanted to explain to people that didn't know that we don't take 3 weeks to do the boots!

Matt

8. EF22

EF22 Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Pembroke, NC
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Shipping to the netherlands wouldn't take more than 4 days would it?
    I'm debating if I want to have blacked out superfly's and probably have to wait for july to get money.. In august I will go back to the USA, yeah plenty of time but I'm just checking lol :p

9. Matt_Gol1

Matt_Gol1 New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No, I'm sure the Netherlands wouldn't take long at all. USA & Canada is always quoted as the longest shipping time. I could ship anywhere worldwide with next day express delivery, but that is not cheap! To ship next day to the US a pair of Adizero's would cost around £77 GBP - so it's only for the REALLY impatient customer ha ha! The price is calculated by weight as you probably know. I had one customer from South Korea that had 8 pairs of boots, some converted and some blacked out, the postage cost was insane as he insisted on next day shipping....:eek:

I can ship with whatever postage option you'd like but I always recommend a tracked service with insurance - just incase they got lost by the shipping companies....

10. itfc1992

itfc1992 Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Puma King XL experiment
    Removed the tongue and added blue marker to sole what you think? Feels a lot flatter as a whole and striking the ball is a lot cleaner, blue was just a bit of fun
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. Beppe33

Beppe33 Member

Mar 24, 2011
  12. xCTRL

xCTRL Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nice job, dude. Those look a lot better without the three stripes! Could you take closer pics of the first leather Adizero?

13. Beppe33

Beppe33 Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Here are a couple more pictures of the boots as requested:

The hardest thing with this boot was getting the stupid paint not to chip off, used about two layers of clear coat to keep the paint on and so far it's held on after a couple of kickabouts/ training sessions over the past few weeks.

For some reason i didn't have this same problem with the newer adizero (electricity/black)

Links:

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/2153/26062011083.jpg

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2384/26062011082.jpg

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2226/26062011081.jpg

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3771/26062011080.jpg

14. Danger

Danger New Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Alright guys,

What's the best type of leather dye/paint to blackout boots? I recently started blacking out the white Nike swooshes and heel counter edges on my Tiempo Legend III's and after quite a few coats of Dylon Leather Dye, the darkest it will go is a dark grey. Would another brand of dye or more coats to get the the swooshes the same black as the boot, do the trick?

I've considered using Sharpie pens to get the shade of black I want but a lot of the images I've seen of people using this method turns out to have a shiny purple tint to them. Other option is leather paint but I've read it wears off/chips easily in some cases.

Cheers for any help guys.

15. colinstu310

colinstu310 Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Bonnie Scotland
    Club:
    Rangers
    Hey Beppe, how much of the Angelus did you use? Seen this online & was thinking of using it myself but got no idea of how much i need for coverage?
    Looking to black out a pair of white pred x's. Cheers :)

16. Beppe33

Beppe33 Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Heya,

When i bought my Angelus paints i only went for the 1fl oz (~30ml) bottles as i had never attempted blacking out my boots before. Also, the boots i blacked out were already the black leather models so the only things i really blacked out were the plastic logos!

I did have some problems with the paint flaking off but some acrylic finisher solved the problem.

I've never tried to repaint an entire boot before but i have read bits and bobs on the net of how you're supposed to go about it:

If you were thinking about blacking out a pair of white boots i think you'd probably have to get some acetone, possibly some leather dye in addition to some angelus paint and maybe an acrylic finisher.

I remember reading somewhere on the previous customizing boots thread that if you're looking to re-colour the leather on an entire boot you're supposed to strip the original layer of paint off the boots with some acetone. I've read that some people have used several layers black leather dye as a base for the angelus paint.

Afterwards you apply the angelus paint in several thin layers and then use a finisher if necessary to waterproof it and make the paint crack resistant.

I've never tried to black out an entire boot but i'd imagine that a one fl oz bottle may just be enough, but i may be wrong :confused:

I found this video on youtube about customizing sneakers which was quite interesting, hope it helps! :)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvV0KPjKkPI"]YouTube - ‪How to Customize Leather Shoes‬‏[/ame]

17. FulhamFTW

FulhamFTW Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest, US
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beppe, thanks for the video. I found it pretty informative. Does anyone on here know if those techniques(in the video) will work with Kanga-Lite? I'm thinking about custom painting CTR's, and want to make sure it will work before I try it.

18. Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey Member

Jun 22, 2010
    United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone ever tried to use a sharpie laundry marker to blackout boots? They are made to withstand going through the washing machine so I wonder if it would stay better than a normal sharpie?
    [​IMG]

19. nbvb

nbvb Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dont sharpies have a purple tint?

20. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know it's a cheap and easy way to black boots out, but don't use marker pens !!

21. Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey Member

Jun 22, 2010
    United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that regular sharpies have a purple tint and come off, but I just thought maybe one that was designed to go through the wash might not.

22. Dirkpsvpsv

Dirkpsvpsv New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Who can help me? i want to blackout my Adipure's but i dont know what product i have to use?

It needs to be good quality so it will stay on the boot when its rain or something like that.
    I hope some one can tell me.

[​IMG]
    I have those adipure's

23. Danger

Danger New Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Blacked out my Nike Tiempo Legend III's. Also cut off the tongue.

[​IMG]

Pleased with the result and didn't mind giving it a go. Picked em' up for £15, down from £89.99 a couple months ago.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  24. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    £15? Where from?

25. Danger

Danger New Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    JJB. Must have been the last in store, was on the sale rack. I'm a size 12 too which seems to work in my favour when it comes to deals like this. Got Copa Mundials for £50 recently too.