CSN Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by txsn, Nov 30, 2012.

1. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Fox sports . . . no . . . Fox sports Houston Plus (when I have to spend ten minutes figuring out which "plus" channel to use . . . yes. In fact, CSN would be much better then the home of half our games.

2. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Oh, hit them up through twitter then. I did, and got a response within an hour.

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I agree that if CSN-H gets onto the other providers it might be better than Fox Sports Southwest. That is going to be the spot for local Houston sports with the Rockets, Astros, and other local sports coverage.

In 2012 this was our local TV broadcast coverage:

Fox Sports Houston - 8 games
    Fox Sports Houston Plus - 8 games
    KPRC - 6 games

The rest were on national TV.

Fox Sports Houston is gone so you know that most of those local Fox Sports games are going to be on Fox Sports Southwest Plus on the providers like DirecTV, Dish, and U-Verse if we stick with Fox Sports.

Remember that Comcast is the owner of NBC. Much easier to tie in the KPRC coverage with CSN-H.

As far as the conflicts with the Astros, in some markets CSN has alternate channels where they can cover multiple games at the same time. That's how CSN-Chicago can carry the Cubs and White Sox or the Bulls and Blackhawks whose schedules overlap. Yes, that means we might be trading FSH+ for CSN-H+ but at least we'd be on a local channel as opposed to Fox Sports Southwest who really doesn't care about Houston any more.

However, I repeat, this is only good if CSN-H gets carriage on the other providers.

troutseth and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  4. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FS Houston is gone, but i think FS SW can and willl still broadcast games on the main SW channel regionally (as in just in Houston).

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Right but they only do that on cable, don't they? If you have DirecTV, Dish, or U-verse don't you have to go looking for the alternate channels to get the Houston specific programming?

Let's say Fox Sports Southwest is showing the Texas Rangers as their primary program but the Dynamo game is also being shown. On Comcast in Houston on the normal FSSW channel you would get the Dynamo game because Comcast would switch everyone to that game. But on DirecTV the main FSSW channel would have the Rangers game but blacked out. You would have to go to the alternate FSSW channels to find the Dynamo game.

At least that's how it seems to work to me.

6. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think that's only a cable thing, but even on cable during alternate programming, they show it on another channel. For example, Comcast doesn't have Fox Sports Houston Plus, so for Dynamo games they'll place games on 110 Comcast Sports. This channel is reserved for alternate programming and usually only has a placeholder screen on. This is also how they showed Aeros games during the Calder Cup run two seasons ago.

7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Same here on Directv. It can be an absolute PAIN to find the Dynamo game on FS Plus, especially since it doesn't "switch over" until right at kickoff in a lot cases.

Levy2k6 repped this.
  8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can always go back to no audio on 11.2 :| There was one game this year , maybe Toronto at home, where I didn't go and Comcast 110 missed the flip to FS Houston plus for almost the whole first half. Watched on Multimedios 43 until then.

A core channel is always going to be better than getting pushed to an alternate channel. And Comcast doesn't carry FS Plus in HD.

9. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything is better than the Galavision feeds on DirecTV. My eyes. They burn. Though playing find the Dynamo game on Saturday nights has become a tradition in the Caddman household.

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I still expect that we'll have some games on Galavision. Last year we have four national telecasts on Galavision.

11. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. Thats what i meant by 'regionally' broadcast. Regional TV has been an issue with satellite tv since the beginning.

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Jim Crane was on 790 this morning and said the Dynamo will be on CSN next year. I really hope they get something worked out before the season starts, but I just don't see it happening. Get ready for 60% or more of the city to not have access to watching the games.

You can hear the interview on the Big show podcast from this morning, segment three. He starts talking about CSN at 16:50 and mentions the Dynamo at 18:45.

http://www.sports790.com/player/?mi...rogram_id=THEBIGSHOW.xml&program_name=podcast

13. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's not good news. :cool:

14. Htownkraut

Htownkraut Member

Jan 12, 2011
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F%*# me.

15. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually love the move! I love CSN! It just sucks that most people won't be able to watch, so I hope that gets fixed quickly.

16. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hopefully MLS Live won't black out the games that are on CSN.

17. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I'm pretty sure they will. That's how it was last year and how it is with the Rockets on League Pass. There are free proxy services you can use to get around that for the streaming version though.

18. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

oh well. im usually at work during away games and listen to it on the radio

19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I guess we can at least take some comfort in the fact that a lot of Rockets and Astros fans will also be pushing for a CSN deal with the other providers. It's not like we will be on our own on this.

*rey* repped this.
  20. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    One thing to keep in mind is that every other year the games have been broadcast on multiple local outlets, so there may only be a handful of games on CSN.

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I was curious so I looked up the number of households in Houston with each service:

Houston DMA total: 2.2 million
    Comcast - 684,622 (31%)
    DirecTV - 369,411 (17%)
    AT&T Uverse - 312,724 ( 14%)
    Dish Network - 288,074 (13%)
    There are other minor carriers with very small numbers each but who total about 7%
    No cable or satellite service - 18%

The tricky part is to get one of the alternate providers to pick up CSN-H. Once one does the rest (except maybe Dish who really competes on price) will probably cave.

22. Htownkraut

Htownkraut Member

Jan 12, 2011
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they do something. I don't get to watch rockets and now I just don't pay attention to them at all since I don't get to watch. I'll go to as many games as I can afford to but I will not go back to comcast. This is not how you grow your fanbase.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These negotiations on new channels tend to be goofy, but until one of Directv, Dish or Uverse blinks, nothing is going to move on this. And with the Rockets sort of average and the Astros a competitive disaster, you could see this one drag a while. Astros losing 100 games isn't really compelling programming. The Rangers will be playing major league baseball on FSSW, the Astros Triple A team will be on CSN.

I doubt many people are dropping their provider to go back to Comcast. In many places there really isn't a Comcast option in some of the newer neighborhoods. So its one of the other 3 large carriers and if they all hold out together, they can drive a better deal ultimately.

The Chronicle had an article on this a few weeks or a month ago back and I think CSN wanted like $3.25 or $3.50 per month on digitial basic, while they are all still paying like $3.25 for Fox Sports.

I also saw somewhere that a Comcast or CSN spokesman (I forget which one) really was going out of their way to explain that even though the Comcast name is on the channel, they only own 23% of of it and that it's really the Rockets/Astros call on the contracts.

24. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Amen to that. Would love to watch the Rockets but since I have Uverse, I can't. Now I've lost all interest and don't really care. I used to watch the Rockets with my dad on channel 20. Those were the good days. Dynamo going to CSN is a bad move, if that rumor is true. Not a good way to keep fans or gain new ones.

25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. The last few years the Dynamo haven't done an English broadcast for the Telefutura/Galavision games. I do think they put most of the FS Houston games on Multimedios.

However, I bet if they go with CSN Houston on some type of a real paid rights deal, they won't be able to put the same game on Multimedios. Or maybe just some of them. If CSN is paying for rights, they want all eyeballs on them, or at least the eyeballs that subscribe to Comcast.

I'd have to look at it, but between ESPN/ESPN2, NBC Sports, and Telefutura/Galavision, that is probably 25-30% of the games each year. So you are looking at 70% of the games being on CSN Houston or KPRC.