Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Lewa9, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes it does. Fino obviously means thin. If I want to say somebody is thin, typically I'd say they are "magro(a)", or you can use "fino" in, your body is very "fino", or "voce esta fino" (you are thin) ... but that's not used as much in every day language. We also use the expression "gente fina" to describe people we think are nice or good. As in if someone comes and pays beer for everyone we'd say, "ele e' gente fina" (he is a nice guy). Although the original expression for that last case probably meant refined upper class people.

Pipiolo, Jaweirdo and JamesBH11 repped this.
  2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    actually I name you as the official professor of that class and kick Pele out LOL

Jaweirdo repped this.
  3. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #353 Jaweirdo, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    Yeah thanks for the lesson m8. My father sent me down to work on his buddies boat the Dom Pedro 1 which traveled from Porto Velho in Rondonia to Humaita' (small village in Amazonas) to Manaus. I spoke exclusively Portuguese on this trip with the exception of conversations with the owner. In some small villages we stopped in they thought I was from Rio when I said short replies or sentences. When I went to Rio they knew immediately that I was a gringo. LOL going back to L.A. was funny mixing up Portuguese with my Spanish when talking to the folks in the kitchen where I worked at. Long story short I want to move back one day, probably to Rio though. Beautiful country and people. So I need to brush up on my Portuguese.

Anywho...back to football.

4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My dream when I retire is to live between Buenos Aires and Salvador (Brazil). Rio, while fascinating, is too sprawling at the moment.

Jaweirdo repped this.
  5. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have never been to Argentina but I am sure I would love it. Salvador is very nice I wouldn't mind living there (been there twice) I need to stay close to the beach to surf, and Rio also has some nice art galleries

6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I thought you said "back to football" :thumbsdown: j/k ... mate

Jaweirdo repped this.
  7. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh yeah, how bout them Raiders??

8. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    "That man have fine features, thinned complexion, small hands, high-pitched voice. A mannered person, almost gay".
    hahahaha

Let's move on!!!

JamesBH11 repped this.
  9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    we have to wait until Sept 2014

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Which teams you like Real to face off in Semi? Aletico, or Chelsea? (definitely not Bayern right?)

IMO, the chance for Real (and CR7) to be in UCL14 final:

1- beat Chelsea 51%
    2- beat Aletico 33%
    3- beat Bayern 16%

11. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Notice that, in some parts of Portugal (in the North, in particular), "fino" also means draft beer. So, maybe they were saying that the guy was drunker than usual.

msioux75 repped this.
  12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    haha
    in that case Pele should have said Garrincha and G.Best are both "mas finos" then me LOL

raviept, Jaweirdo and msioux75 repped this.
  13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Shipstones Fino Beers?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have it sponsor the local team, and let the players drink it before the games, and they'll be a shoe-in for all 'minor' cups! But probably lose the Portuguese FA Cup with an own goal in extra time after a drunken go faster stripe is shaved into the star defenders haircut....

:cautious:

raviept repped this.
  14. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Football was so much better when the lads would get shitfaced after every match

15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    After the match?
    :laugh:

I was joking about those players drinking Shipstones before the game (as far as I know they didn't) but I know that Clough did insist the players stayed up drinking the night before the League Cup Final in 1979 - they also won 3-2 vs Southampton that time!
    I know Terry Venables has mentioned Jimmy Greaves used to take him to the pub and Greaves would have a big roast dinner before they played for Chelsea in the afternoon in the early 60's.

Playing football after alcohol the night before and a roast Sunday dinner always seemed ok to me though to be fair.

16. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    hahaha! I heard it was customary for the players to go eat meat pies and chug pints after the games

17. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    James,

Yesterday they showed a stat on the television; showing the distribution of goals by some top legendary goalscorers (of current day and the past). It showed in what phase of a match a player scores. Thus, how many goals did Gerd Müller score in the final 10 minutes of a game. How many goals did Messi score at the end of the first half? And one could see that C. Ronaldo (Messi even more so!) score a high proportion of goals between the 84th-90th minute. Higher as the normal distribution today (naturally more goals are scored in the last quarter of an hour but in case of Ronaldo/Messi even more so).
    Cannot find it right now on the internet but here you can see that 2 years ago 70 of 235 goals were scored between the 75th and 90th minute

[3:32]

So yeah, a high share of goals in the last phases of a game does point a bit at team contribution (wearing opposition down by passing and/or superior fitness).

JamesBH11 repped this.
  18. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That seems to be the primary reason the Magyars of Hungary lost to West Germany in the WC54 final.

19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Why do you think so?

20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, they had thrashed West Germany three weeks before without any difficulty, they were player by player the better team, then there are confirmed reports of debauchery as the tournament progressed as the players got to taste the freedoms of the West (mostly in the form of beer :D) while on leave from the Iron Curtain.

By the way, from the view of an insider to Hungary football, search the rsssf.com archives for a Hungarian poster (I think his username was "gaborzinho"?), he posted there regularly back in the 90s/early 00s, tellingd many stories about the glorious Hungarian football of the 50s and 60s, its influence on Brazilian football, and many other fascinating stuff.

@PuckVanHeel

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    At XT there's a knowledgeable Hungarian poster who's continuously burning down 'regime darling' Puskas :D :eek:

22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Interesting. I hadn't known of that.

Here's a Bleacher Report article on the subject, mentioning George Best, as well as Clough's Forest in tyhat League Cup Final as described by Garry Birtles who has said similar on ESPN Classic before:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...how-much-does-it-affect-a-players-performance
    "The night before the League Cup final against Southampton in 1979 we were blotto. We had everything we could possibly have wanted to drink. Bitter, lager, mild, champagne. There were people who could hardly stand by the time we went to bed. But Clough insisted on it. Archie Gemmill wanted to go to bed. He wouldn't let him. We were 1-0 down at half-time the next day, but once we sobered up we were OK. We won 3-2."

23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    From what I recall, Puskas was not a regime darling (wasn't he banned from entering the country for a time?) and it is unfair to call him that. But it doesn't surprise me that you sling mud on yet another footballing great who is not from your preferred nations :rolleyes:

24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It is obvious that Hungary together with Bulgaria belongs to your preferred countries. So look in the mirror first.

Secondly, you do not understand me in the right way.

Third, that poster indeed receives some slack at 'XT', I saw.

25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Please share the link if you can find ... Thanks in advance ...

for bold part .. you are spot on with that remark ... (many might not see that clear)