Cristiano Ronaldo-the most overrated player of all time?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Lewa9, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lewa9

Lewa9 Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    nobody can deny that he is overrated. nobody. but just HOW overrated is he? a lot. lets see his pros and cons:

pros:

- best free kick taker in world right now (although i dont remember another time with such a low number of free kick experts). he is still not amazing at it... as his conversion rate is not good. he converts maybe 6/7 free kicks a season in all competitions. no more than 10 max. many players will get these numbers if they are allowed to take every single free kick. henry is an example. he wasnt even a free kick taker but since he was everything for arsenal, he took free kicks and he ended up scoring some. yes i know crystianas can be really beautiful but how many tries does it take him? nevertheless i give him this as a pro.

- ball control/dribbling. he is an expert at this no question asked. he lives for it.

- shooting: strong shots, sometimes accurate, specially when in the box.

- heading

- speed

summary: technically he is good

cons:

dribbling: is successful 1/5 dribbles. loses the ball too much, resulting in losing scoring chances, which is highly detrimental to the team. In conclusion, he is an average dribbler not even in top 50 best dribbler in the wolrd.

shooting: poor accuracy. most of the time shoots it straight at the keeper from far or wide/high.

'but he scored 400 goals.' yes, but lets deduct free kicks and penalties when we are talking about 'goals.' no other player takes every single penalty and free kick so its not fair to include these goals when talking in the context of 'goalscoring' because it implies goals from open play. first of all, he plays for real madrid, a team that scores 3 goals a game and dominates most opposition. this alone guarantees a lot of goals for its offensive players.

about shot accuracy, this session(but do not change much in the others, his shot is inaccurate):

Ibrahimovic 22 goals 129 shots 5.2
    Ronaldo 22 goals(8pk, 3 fk) 161 shots 7.7
    Messi 14 goals 81 shots 4.8
    Aguero 15 goals 70 shots 4.1
    Suarez 23 goals 123 shots 5.6
    Diego Costa 21 goals 80 shots 3.2
    Cavani 13 goals 67 shots 3.2
    Lewandowski 14 goals 81 shots 3.2

It 'obvious that the shot of Cr7 sucks, he is the worst between all of them, he needs almost 8 shots per game to make a goal, this is a big waste for a team.

Is Cr7 a consistent player game per game?

non hi is not, he don't score in 18 games this session among Liga, Copa and Ucl, the total goals are in 14 games, i repeat 33 goal in 14 games between these, 3 goals against Gala(6-1 for real), sivilla(7-3) and sociedad(5-1), 2 goals against Celta Vigo(3-0), Rayo, Copenhagen(4:0), Juventus, Atletico(2pk)

He is decisive player in big games?
    no he not is, he was orrible against Borussia last year, humiliated by lewa, he was not good against Atletico, He miss the decisive penaly against bayern in 2012, and was humiliated by Messi in 2011.
    He is not decisive player in Nt only 1 one goal in wc in a game ended 6:0 for portugal, he was not decisive against Spain in Euro 2012.

In general he is not a decisive player in big games.

confirmed by:
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/feb/06/best-big-game-goalscorer-football-history

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/3482

so is there anyone that still says he is not overrated? he is a top 10 player in the world at best; he has NEVER been top 3 in the world.

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  3. Lewa9

Lewa9 Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    where are the fans of CR7??

4. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    You should put your ADD medicine to better use.

Jaweirdo repped this.
  5. ChargersNo8

ChargersNo8 Member

May 28, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    His shooting most definitely doesn't suck. He takes a lot of difficult shots that maybe he shouldn't - but he's one of the very best and IMO has earned the license to shoot from anywhere.

Jaweirdo repped this.
  6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Why don't you just tag all of them ? Although it could make your intentions a bit obvious ... :ROFLMAO:

On a serious note, I think your FK comment is completely off. Look at the greatest FK takers and 6-10 a season is about what they score. 10 in a season is a great number.

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Good players take a lot of shots because they get into position to shoot. When a player took a single shot on goal in a game, I thought he had a bad game. If another player take 10 shots, he must have a good game. His number is doubled than some of his competitors. I did not realize that he was so much better than the other players. He backed his shots with 22 goals. That is an amazing stat.

RamyBt and Jaweirdo repped this.
  8. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    "of all time?" - No. Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the most effective attackers in the modern era. You cannot ignore his performances, influence, legacy and goalscoring statistics. Is he the greatest player of all time? No. Is he the most overrated player of all time? No. Is he a joy to watch? Yes. Let's put things into perspective.

RamyBt, SVFC22, Jaweirdo and 2 others repped this.
  9. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Why this thread is getting serious answers when it was quite obviously written by either a child or mentally handicapped person is beyond me.

"non hi is not, he don't score in 18 games this session among Liga, Copa and Ucl, the total goals are in 14 games, i repeat 33 goal in 14 games between these, 3 goals against Gala(6-1 for real), sivilla(7-3) and sociedad(5-1), 2 goals against Celta Vigo(3-0), Rayo, Copenhagen(4:0), Juventus, Atletico(2pk)"

What in the hell language is that?

RamyBt, Laaura, Jaweirdo and 1 other person repped this.
  10. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How?

leadleader repped this.
  11. La-Máquina

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Those plucked eye-brows are a joy to behold. Such technique he must possess to master those pointed black 'brows. His consistency as a fashion icon is unquestionable too. If I could choose to watch one footballer, it would be Cristiano Ronaldo.

Jaweirdo and SirWellingtonSilva repped this.
  12. Lewa9

Lewa9 Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    you are still throwing childish personal attacks, english is not my first language.
    people like you who have nothing to offer except outrageous opinions with 0 support or analysis, yet personally insult other posters should be banned!

13. Lewa9

Lewa9 Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #13 Lewa9, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    Your logic not have sense, you can't say than a striker with 10 shots and 1 goal is better than a striker with one shot and 1 goal. Cr7 monopolizes the ball. He missed many occasions, does not allow other players to use the ball. The whole team is in the service of Cr7, this is the only reason why he makes so many goals.
    He is not a effective player.

14. Lewa9

Lewa9 Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Ronaldo sucks in big games and he is not consistent, don't care if he scores 20 Hattrick each season. i want a big game performer.
    I' don't rember a great perfomance of Cr7 against a great team, in decisive games.

He is not a decisive striker, he is not effective. Cr7 is the best against poor teams and nothing more.

15. Lewa9

Lewa9 Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    You are a crystiana lover so that says everything about you.
    People like you who have nothing to offer except outrageous opinions with 0 support or analysis, yet personally insult other posters should be banned!

16. Lewa9

Lewa9 Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    ronaldo is supposedly the best player in the world, if you think its okay for the best player in the world to have an inflated status because he racks up goals against granada, zaragoza and osasuna meanwhile not preforming against barcelona (really the only game that matters) then i think you are misinformed. hes scoring over a goal a game but he scores in less than half of Real Madrid matches though its great for stats, its not great for results.

17. La-Máquina

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lewa9, I agree with you.

Here's some more supporting analysis that provides irrefutable proof that Cristiano Ronaldo is the most overrated player of all time:

Copa América goals: ZERO.

Goals scored in the World Cup Final: ZERO.

Assists provided for Eusébio: ZERO.

Now let's look at Robert Lewandowski's scoring statistics and efficiency:

2011-12 - 47 games 30 goals
    2012-13 - 49 games 36 goals
    2013-14 - 32 games 21 goals

We should all be able to see clearly Robert Lewandowski > Cristiano Ronaldo. This is not opinion, this is FACT.

RamyBt, Laaura, Jaweirdo and 5 others repped this.
  18. Lewa9

Lewa9 Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    If he will fail again this year in the World Cup and UCL, will be further proof that he is an overrated player.
    Also contrary to what they say fans Cr7 he is not a winger, if you go to look at the statistics on whoscored, you can seen that its weaknesses are crossing and defense.
    90% of its goals are like a Poacher Striker.

19. Lewa9

Lewa9 Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    You not have arguments?
    remembered

20. La-Máquina

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #20 La-Máquina, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    Excellent. More supporting evidence to add to our argument -

Cristiano Ronaldo goals scored against Real Madrid in the last 5 years: ZERO.

Robert Lewandowski goals scored against Real Madrid in the last 5 years: FOUR.

Robert Lewandowski > Cristiano Ronaldo.

RamyBt, superdave, Jaweirdo and 2 others repped this.
  21. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Thanks to La-Maquina's input this thread has become much better than I ever expected it to be.

Can I also just add that he hasn't scored against the hoops either to my knowledge. I mean, if you can't score against Celtic in Europe you don't deserve to be rated world-class!

RamyBt, benni..., Jaweirdo and 4 others repped this.
  22. La-Máquina

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    frasermc, please provide some supporting evidence from YouTube, WhoScored.com or Wikipedia - the three most reliable sources of statistical data and analysis.

Area 51, Jaweirdo and Pipiolo repped this.
  23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  24. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Some of his biggest scores.... that pissed off a lot of people. :)

I am pretty sure that some of you has taken plenty shots at those photos.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Not sure I can substantiate anything from those rags. I prefer goal.com for my data.

Area 51 and La-Máquina repped this.