Cristiano Ronaldo Forever - The Cristiano Ronaldo Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by fierro, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Why is/was Ronaldo sad?

1. He suffers from depression.

8.1%
  2. He wanted to win the Spanish Super Cup MVP but all he got was a lousy t-shirt

16.1%
  3. $$$ Money $$$ - he wants a new lifetime contract with a phat raise

21.0%
  4. They they didn't award him Higuain's goal so he could have a hattrick

3.2%
  5. He had a moment of clarity and realized how meaningless life is.

35.5%
  6. Other reason(s)

16.1%
  1. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    So I'm guessing you didn't watch those tournaments then, because from what you're making it sound like, one would think Zidane scored every goal and even somehow assisted himself every time. Zidane's departure also coincided with the decline/retiring of a number of key players such as Vieira, Makelele, Henry, etc. so yes, naturally the team would suffer if you have that many influential players, including Zidane, not having as much impact or even any impact at all. And I flat out disagree about this "AS A WHOLE" bit. Alves, through his lax defending on the first Zlatan goal, and Veloso, causing a needless foul that led to the second goal, nearly unraveled the tie in Sweden's favor by playing totally elementary.

Also, you should go back and watch some of the France games you mentioned, particularly 98', so you can make proper judgments yourself and see that, aside from the final, Zidane was nothing stellar.

2. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    The difference between the France supporting cast and Portugal supporting cast is the difference between reaching the semis and actually winning the tournament. But lets get one thing straight, without Zidane, France would still be talking about the 84 team. And without Ronaldo, Portugal would be remembering the good old "Golden" generation.

3. Xehanort

Xehanort Member+

Real Madrid
    Portugal
    Oct 7, 2013
    Mom's basement
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ok, i'll be perfectly fair and say that when the 98 WC came I was like 7 years old and they were some of the first football matches i've ever seen on television. I loved to play with my dad, and at school I learned most of what I know (...it's not much but it's something :p) thanks to my friends.

At the time I HAAATED watching the Portuguese games because they were boring as f*** (and still are). My dad then convinced me to try watching the world cup games, where the greatest players in the world face off against each other. My favorite players were always the attacking midfielders/playmakers, because that's what I wanted to be at the time. My dad introduced me to Zidane during those world cup games, he thought Rui Costa was better (we still argue about it to this day xD)

I'll admit, with all fairness, that I was really young and obviously didn't have the knowledge of the sport I have today. Another thing is that it's been 15 years, so my memory may be a little tricky, but I remember being in awe of how Zidane played and how involved he was. He was the first great player i've ever seen. I remember seeing him all over the pitch, constantly recovering the ball and always coming up with some great play to inspire his team to victory. I even remember when I watched those games, my dad took me to his friends' pub and during the game people were always saying "oh that guy Zidane" and similar stuff like Zidane05 just said:
    I only got a chance to watch a few of Maradona and Cruyff's best games much later, when a friend of my dad let me borrow some VHS tapes with tapped football games. Me and a couple of friends of mine liked to watch these games together, so that we could learn some tricks and beat the other kids' asses at school. I felt the same way I felt while watching Zidane play when I was a kid, and when I reached a few of Argentina's games at the 86 WC I gained a new idol from that point on xD

4x4s, i'm sorry if i've been somewhat annoying and stubborn in this topic. I just like to stand by my opinion, but I realize sometimes I can go a little too far.

4. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    what. a. goal.

halamadrid00 repped this.
  5. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    6 months Ronaldo, 6 months.

Do that in the World Cup.

Wow.

That is all.

Sarajevsko Pivo repped this.
  6. Deep Pal

Deep Pal Member+

Jun 19, 2013
    India,Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    ignorance is indeed bliss at times...nice way to try to derail the thread though

7. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
    Cristiano Ronaldo's 30 yard strike has been clocked at 115 km/h ........ Absolutely insane.....

8. Deep Pal

Deep Pal Member+

Jun 19, 2013
    India,Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India

Firsts of all ,when the debate started the reference that was made was Zidane's performance in the 2006 WC if i am not wrong,u totally changed the context by bringing 98 WC ...and FYI it was Paraguay not Uruguay

9. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You are wrong.

Reading replies in context isn't one of your strengths is it?

10. Deep Pal

Deep Pal Member+

Jun 19, 2013
    India,Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    And trolling seems to be ur forte,but guess what trolling aint any hot any more

11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Reading and writing correctly, doesn't seem to be hot any more either.

Crimson repped this.
  12. Deep Pal

Deep Pal Member+

Jun 19, 2013
    India,Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    You prove your derelictions rather well :thumbsup:

13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I hope our discussion makes your miserable day a little better. Now, if you don't have anything relevant to say, i suggest you move on, unless you fancy a few infraction points.

9Qui repped this.
  14. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [​IMG]

Respect!

Sarajevsko Pivo and Romanero repped this.
  15. Romanero

Romanero Member+

Oct 28, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    good stuff cris, good stuff, oh and gratz on the award, you deserve it! :inlove:

16. LosMerengues89

Jan 1, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ronaldo breakin' ankles

Excape Goat, Deep Pal, Doni and 2 others repped this.
  17. RoyalWhites

RoyalWhites Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    CR has been losing the ball as of late. In all of these games for 2014, he has lost the ball and can't beat his guy. I don't know why but when he gets the ball he is really not trying to create chances with some runs.

Haven't seen a CR run or step over to beat his guy in awhile.

18. halamadrid00

halamadrid00 Red Card

Aug 2, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Then you haven't been watching since 2014.

Crimson repped this.
  19. RoyalWhites

RoyalWhites Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have and thanks to a website I found, I have all the games and can show you so many examples of what I see. He is deadly when he is in a position to strike but when he is out of range, it is very hard for him to create. He has either lost the ball or fell.

20. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    So would you take Zizou or Yaya Toure? Random comparison but they are both great midfielders of their respective gens.

I think I would take toure with his power and drive and more consistensy than zizou.

21. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
    In 2014:
    v Celta Vigo - 3 Successful Dribbles, 3 Key Passes
    v Osasuna - 1 Successful Dribble, 3 Key Passes
    v Espanyol - 2 Successful Dribbles, 2 Key Passes
    v Osasuna - 2 Successful Dribbles, 1 Key Pass
    v Real Betis - 4 Successful Dribbles, 2 Key Passes
    v Espanyol - 0 Successful Dribbles, 3 Key Passes

2014 Total - 12 Successful Dribbles @ 2 per game and 14 Key Passes @ 2.33 per game.

Sure seems like he is beating players and creating chances to me. Maybe you should watch games.

22. Xehanort

Xehanort Member+

Real Madrid
    Portugal
    Oct 7, 2013
    Mom's basement
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I wouldn't say Ronaldo is playing bad either, like Crimson pointed out those are some good stats.

His decision making is what's worrying me, ever since he returned from injury. Occasions where he clearly should play back or try an assist, he shoots instead. But i'm pretty sure he'll return to full beast mode soon :D