Crew/Wizard Open Cup Semifinal PBP and postgame [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by MFRONE, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    stiker, pure scorer.

forward, more of a blend of passing and scoring, plays to far advanced to be considered a midfielder, only takes a portion of the defensive responsibility that a midfielder does.

That would be my definition.

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well put.

I use the term "hitter".

Mathis is a "hitter". It's what he's there for - he's a joke as a defender, even Arena said he has the worst "completed passes" percentage on the team, and is not really a player.

But you arrange to get his fat ass the ball somewhere in striking range and he'll score for you. And if he's not scoring, then he's gotta sit cause there's not much else he's good at.

McBride is a forward - he looks for lanes, watches the play develop, holds the ball with his back to the goal, reacts to the play, sets you up and springs you loose.

In short, he PLAYS THE GAME up front. "Forward" if you will.

I'm not making a value judgement here. Both are desirable guys. But they're different.

3. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Thanks. I meant every word of it. Ignore the crap about attendance you guys will sell out the final, just don't disappoint them and let LA win.

For the love of god, beat them! :D

4. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF? I just watched (and taped) the rebroadcast of the game on FSW, and they didn't show the OT!!! I went out of the room at the end of regulation to grab my son's gear out of the laundry for his game tonight, and suddenly heard Bretos say he was "signing off" -- ran out and they're showing a slo-mo of the winning goal over the closing credits. I thought they might edit the game to fit in their 2-hour time slot, but wouldn't you figure they'd cut out some of the regulation, when the 2 teams were playing horrible football?

Some of that s**t didn't look so bad this time, I guess knowing the outcome makes a difference.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    fsw did that also with the quakes v galaxy quarterfinal. it frustrates me quite a bit.

6. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm

Then there's Uncle Alan Shearer, who is both. :D

7. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm

And then there's Jeffy, who is neither. [​IMG]