Post-match: Crew vs. RSL, Matchday 15

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Jun 30, 2012.

1. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance update from Jardy: #crew96 averaging 14,141 fans, up from 10,011 through first seven matches last year and overall season average of 12,185.

That's a 41.3% increase through the first seven games. Obviously we had some bad weather at the beginning of last season, but still an impressive turn around nonetheless. If overall attendance increases by the same 22% it did last season that would put final average attendance in the neighborhood of 17.2k for the year.

2. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Direct result of what happens when you apply a little aggressiveness to the market.

3. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard something about a fight in the stands during the match but I haven't seen anyone mention it on here. Anybody hear/see anything?

4. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure it is what you are referring as I wouldn't call it a fight, but there was a kerfuffle in my area. I sit in 107 row 13, this happened at the front of 106. A dude sitting in the back of 106 starts walking down the steps to the front with his appx. 3 year old daughter. As he goes down the stairs he's stopping at each row and saying things like, "my daughter really wants to start 'The Wave' when we get to the front, help us out."

He gets to the front, says the same kind of thing again and then counts off, "ONE, TWO, THREE!" and hoists his daughter over his head in an attempt to get it going. This doesn't exactly light the crowd on fire, some people humor him, some really give it a go, but he keeps at it maybe 5 or 6 times too many.

He heads back up the steps and then starts a bit of a shouting match with a guy in the 3rd or 4th row. As he passes my seat I hear him say to this daughter, "good thing you're here, or daddy would have to kill that guy, who calls a 3 year old a whore?"

He made a pretty big deal about it. Got stadium staff involved. Not sure if the offender was ejected or not.

I think the father maybe took things a bit too far, you put yourself or your daughter out there for ridicule when you're doing stuff like that. Calling a little girl a whore because her father is an ass is a bit much though.

5. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    From my perch in 106.
    The dude was annoyingly waving his daughter around and telling us we all suck for not doing the wave. It looked like daddy came back to have a chat with the two season ticket holders from 106 in the second half and left when ppl around him told him to go. I wouldn't call it a fight. CSC did well, they talked to a sober bystander in 107 to find out what happened, and assumingly removed the antagonizer.

6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure which party was getting run down by CSC. But my loyalties nearly always reside with season ticket holders.

7. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this going on from directly across the way in Sec 126. I couldn't tell what was actually happening though. I did remark to those around me when they were trying to start the wave that it was never going to happen since they put that barrier island behind goal (the stage). Plus, the wave is idiocy. If you want to make noise and make a difference, join the chants and songs.

Pretty cool stuff from the Nordecke with the yellow lights. Nice touch and well played.

8. sidefoot

sidefoot Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This bears repeating. I am also heartily sick of the vuvuzelas. Somebody needs to convince the team shop to stop selling those horrible things.

deadhamlet44 and Kayak repped this.
  9. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Everyone that fills out the survey should vilify the vuvuzelas which I believe roughly translates to horn of the devil. Crewzers bring them back, keep them gone I'm not passionate on either side but those *** **** horns make me want to beat the children that incessantly use them throughout the game to death.

deadhamlet44 repped this.
  10. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are horns, not vuvuzelas. The vuvuzelas have a reed that vibrates to make a sound like bees wings.

11. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    A difference to be sure but a negligible one; either way they are annoying and should be stopped.

12. sidefoot

sidefoot Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...And it's always a small child right behind me at ear-height. He's probably been eating sugary foods all day and is full of energy. His parents like it because he channels all that energy into the damned horn. But it is channelled into the back of my head.

Point taken, but my opinion stands. The distinction is similar to the difference between being stabbed by a steak knife or a dagger - the effect is much the same.

13. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always get the parents who love the annoying songs the kids come up as they play. Urging them on with claps and laughs. Devil Horns begone.

14. Micheluzzo

Micheluzzo Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is dubstep...but they havent stopped playing that garbage.

GoCrew1996 repped this.
  15. djtrinidad

djtrinidad Member

May 30, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And i am reminded, the question returns once again, is Filet mignon steak?

I miss f5 fridays.

Hamburgler03, 110toyourleft and CrewBeat repped this.
  16. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss Five Knuckle Shuffle Fridays.

17. sidefoot

sidefoot Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unequivocally yes. It is a beefsteak (a flat cut of beef sliced perpendicular to the grain of the muscle) from the choicest part of the tenderloin. It is the epitome of the beefsteak. ;)

18. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ultimate Cleaz Tease.

19. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be interested to see them. I heard that they didn't look great from the area between the club seats and office.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good news: I've seen a few

Bad news: It may not be on *your* feed. Remember, there's two feeds of FS Ohio, so just because someone subscribes to that channel, they may not see it. (Some providers carry both feeds 24/7.)

Even worse news: Replays are typically later that night.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here you go. Looked better in person.... IMG_0678a.jpg

23. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm watching the replay of this match on MLS Live because it's a thousand ********ing degrees outside and there's no soccer on television. I'm at the 30th minute mark and I have to pause it, come here, and ask why does Aaron Schoenfeld have a spot on this team and why is RW starting him? I keep looking for what it is that gets him starting minutes ahead of Meram, and all I'm left with is that he's taller. His skill with the ball is awful and his game sense is even worse. If he's going to be a Lenhart-type banger/poacher who comes in late and causes chaos against a tired back four, then okay, I'll buy that, maybe. Starting him, especially paired up top with Renteria, seems to be more oblique reasoning from the Obvious One.

24. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the idea is that RW likes playing at least one tall striker at all times because it gives our wings someone to cross to. I don't disagree with most of his comments regarding Schoenfeld (tall, athletic, works hard, above average with the ball at his feet for someone of his size), but he just looked lost against RSL. His Opta heat map gave him a whopping 18 events the whole game (which is what you expect from a 70th minute sub, not a starter), and only 3 were in the final third.

He's definitely a project, and nowhere near the finished product, but if you look at our forwards, you can tell RW likes the big-small combination, and he seems intent on forcing it, even if it means playing someone who is better off spending a full year with the reserves first.

JayFunkeyFresh and scornflakes repped this.