Pre-match: Crew vs New York 4/26/14

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by cleazer, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

result of Crew v NY 4/26/14

1. win by 2 or more

10.0%
  2. win by 1

48.6%
  3. tie

27.1%
  4. lose by 1

11.4%
  5. lose by 2 or more

2.9%
  6. Call me Snake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cbus3

cbus3 Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 9, 2009
    Paxdecke
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    annnnddddd 0/1

American Brummie and Lucky Day repped this.
  2. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Still a few left to get right. Going to cost you $70 in brats though.

3. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I love it when memes develop on here. Now we have the Williams is playing too far forward meme. It is funny. That will be the thing that everyone hangs on to for the next x weeks/months/years. Same with the Tchani hate. Everyone will scrutinize Williams positioning in every game and pick holes where none exist. Seemingly oblivious to the fact that we have conceded more goals from losing possession in midfield (note: Trapp AND Tchani both) than being broken on down our right.

KCbus repped this.
  4. sidefoot

sidefoot Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least you probably get most of the numerous old-timer in-jokes that form the core of conversation here - I'm usually left scratching my head (not a Columbus resident/native, so I lose a ton of cred there I'm sure. :laugh:).

Williams/Columbus getting found out - as I said before, I don't see any fundamental flaw in Berhalter's system right now. If the players play well we have a good chance to win games, regardless of whether teams know our general tactics and approach to the game. It's not as if every other team successfully keeps their tactics a big secret.

Giveaways remain a big issue but I think I read a quote by Berhalter somewhere to the effect that he knew that his system risked turning the ball over more, especially now when the team is still getting used to the system, and he accepted that risk in order to get the team playing the way he wants them to play. I'm willing to wait and see what that philosophy brings.

American Brummie repped this.
  5. TZPrince

TZPrince Member

Oct 13, 2009
    "I'm particulary glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier hipster dufus gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age"

west ham sandwich and cam5fc repped this.
  6. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I appreciate your feedback. I am sure being a hipster dufus I should get the reference. Was it my usage of the word meme that prompted you to add to the dicussion?

7. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped for Blazing Saddles reference

8. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. TZPrince

TZPrince Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Partly that, meme (per Histper wikipedia) is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture" So calling something a meme itself, is now a meme, right?

You have a different opinion than some people (but not everyone), just say that. When a couple people have that same idea that is different than yours, dont try to mock it and call it "meme"

10. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I don't think Williams plays too far forward, I do think he and Francis should plan their runs better. I don't like seeing Trapp as the middle CB in a back thee when the other team is on a counter. Trapp is a useful creative force and he shouldn't be relegated to the defensive third. The last game I actually thought we saw some improvement there; Trapp was playing far more box to box.

On Tchani we have a lot of pretty good MLS players and if everyone is on we're good. We need a dynamic player or two to take a spot from Dom or Arrieta, on the wing doesn't matter right or left, or for Tchani, I'll keep Trapp over him. We have a lot of guys that do the little things right and would be fine supporting another player that does the big things on a more than occasional basis. Tchani is just the first one I would replace, with Trapp playing end to end that middle section is really Tchani's domain more than anyone else's and if that's the way we're going to play we need someone more dominate in that spot.

Oh and if Speas isn't in the 18 for this game with Anor out he should go to Dayton to get some games.

Bill Archer repped this.
  11. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Is Trapp a box to box mid though? I think I've read a couple places people on here comparing him to Bradley, but I'm not sure that fits. I only saw a few Akron games, but he was always the more defensive of the central mids. Same thing with the Nats at the U20WC. In the articles I've read this year, Trapp has said more then once that the position Berhalter has him playing fits him and he likes the pairing with Tchani as the box to box mid.

Could it be that Berhalter actually does have Trapp playing where he is most effective?

12. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I think Trapp is better as a defensive mid when talking about him before he got to the first team I always compared him more to Carroll than anyone else. He's great in the middle breaking up plays then working the ball forward. I still don't really want to see him between Parkhurst and Gonzalez as much as we have. I do think he has played more box to box at times than Tchani, certainly against DC. Trapp would be behind Tchani then pop up in front of him. I'd be fine with Trapp staying back a little further back and putting someone more dynamic on but with Tchani on Trapp's creativity is needed further forward. Of the players on the roster I'd like to see Speas played there let Trapp cycle the ball and have Speas add to the attack. I don't think the likelihood of that happening is high though.

13. timpegoose

timpegoose Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be curious to see what Paladini can add in Tchani's spot, even if it is only as a sub for 30 minutes at first. It sounds like he should be healthy soon and would probably be the most comfortable there out of anybody else on our roster.

Has anybody heard anything about Fifi Baiden since the preseason? I thought he looked halfway decent in the limited time he got and might be able to crack the 18.

14. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    fair enough

15. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I'd think Paladini is probably who Gregg wanted their in the first place, here's hoping we get to see him soon.

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I do think Tchani has been a meme on this board.

17. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Just think of how obscure "Tchani Meme" banners would be. We are definitely not onto something here.

http://www.listal.com/list/hey-look-im-a-meme

18. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Draghignazzo, CrewV Man, zman31 and 4 others repped this.
  19. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Agreed he is awful in the air for a player that is that tall.

20. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like timing is a bigger factor than height. In a few of these pictures, his legs are still bent.

21. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe so, but that's still an issue.

22. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roy Miller v Waylon Francis. The assumed Costa Rican world cup starter vs a guy trying to make the team. Miller was very good going forward against the Dynamo. The scoreline of that game flatters NY a little I think as Houston had a TON of chances, especially when the game was close. Miller was exposed a few times defensively. It will be interesting to see which one shows better. They don't face each other directly, but I'm sure there will be some extra incentive.

23. sidefoot

sidefoot Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have only seen Tchani play in person four times, but he seemed to win most of the headers he went up for (though he does occasionally get beaten on headers he should be winning). He certainly wins more headers than Oduro or Higuain, our aerial presence in the attacking third is almost nonexistent.

I have been a Tchani skeptic for some time now, but my brother has a much more sympathetic view of him and I'm slowly coming around. He has flaws but this is MLS, not the UEFA Champions League.

I used to think "he's terrible", now it's more "he's decent by MLS standards". It might sound like damning with faint praise, but his physicality and quick, short passing has shown itself valuable on a number of occasions.

24. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from MLS:

REFEREE: Geoff Gamble. SAR (bench): George Gansner; JAR (opposite): Gianni Facchini; 4th: Edvin Jurisevic
    MLS Career: 23 games; FC/gm: 23.4; Y/gm: 3.3; R: 4; pens: 10
    SUSPENDED: CLB: Bernardo Anor (through April 27)
    WARNINGS:
    SUSPENDED NEXT YELLOW CARD: none
    SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: NY: Armando
    DISABLED LIST: CLB: Matthew Wiet
    INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: none
    HEAD-TO-HEAD
    ALL-TIME (57 meetings): Crew 24 wins, 68 goals … Red Bulls 25 wins, 78 goals … Ties 8
    AT COLUMBUS (29 meetings): Crew 15 wins, 39 goals … Red Bulls 11 wins, 38 goals … Ties 3
    RETURN MATCHES: 7/12: New York Red Bulls vs. Columbus Crew, 7 p.m. ET; 10/19: New York Red Bulls vs. Columbus Crew, 3 p.m. ET

ACTUAL INJURY LIST:
    Crew
    Out: Weit
    Questionable: Oduro (ankle sprain), Trapp (groin pain)

New York
    Out: Convey, Eckersley, Obekop
    Questionable: Akpan, Cahill

25. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice weather, a big name team, and buck-a-brat/dollar draft night. I'm hoping we get 15K for this game.