Post-match: Crew vs DC United, Matchday 6

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Apr 19, 2014.

1. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Crew draw late 1-1 after going a man down. Anor is out next match. Viana still MIA.

2. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Third last minute goal this season

3. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As thrilled as I am we came back to get a point, I can't overlook the fact the team has been figured out. I remember thinking after the first couple matches how nervous I was about all our turnovers. It seems the blueprint to beat us is to let us pass the ball around until we turn it over, capitalize on it. Then crowd Higuain. Force him to drop back to get the ball and don't allow him space when he does. We don't have anyone that can consistently release pressure to him.

I am getting nervous we can't beat this strategy. As far as individual performances go, no one on offense stands out as having a good match. That is a major problem. Meram had the worst sub performance I've seen in a while.

Trapp is getting better and better and Parkhurst makes me forget Marshall(which is sad, but good).

Draghignazzo repped this.
  4. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to check out for most of the second half, but we didn't look good. I'm going to echo Aaron's first sentence and Bill's analysis after the Toronto game, the book is out on this team. Glad Jimenez scored, but he hasn't been very good. And Anor's tackle was stupid.

5. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Poor passes made this a tough one to watch without yelling at Pippa, Trapp and Tchani. Uncharacteristic for Pippa and Trapp, but I can't help thinking that someone on the bench has earned a start in place of Tony.

6. SecretWalrus

SecretWalrus Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought ref was losing control of the game.Nardo got to the ball first. If that tackle was in the first half, it's not red - maybe not even a foul. Nardo paid for the Gonzalez foul on Johnson.

7. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Higuain looked like complete shit tonight.

So did everyone else but when your best player looks that bad it stands out.

8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Trapp played well and got back a couple of times and closed down an attack when the attacker was behind everyone. Pipa was lousy. We'll see some changes next week for sure, with Anor out, and I'd not be surprised it Gonzales gets to sit too. If you are going to call that foul, it should be a red. And I would not be surprised if the disciplinary committee sees it that way, especially as they let him off the hook last week.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Last year, while Berhalter was scarfing down Swedish meatballs over there, the rest of us were watching Oduro slice through defences out of right mid. He just isnt a centre forward.

The fullbacks are useless playing as high as Berhalter wants. Fullbacks play best when they use their intelligence.

You're welcome.

10. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** those ********ing ********s. they thought they could come in here ********ing get three ********ing point? ******** you you ********ing ********s.

i'd say lucky to get the point but DC didn't deserve it either. ******** 'em!

Draghignazzo, cleazer and chr1st repped this.
  11. Dominican

Dominican Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Reynoldsburg
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tchaini was absolutely horrid! Lucky we weren't down by three or four by the time Anor was shown the red......

Don't get me wrong I think DC are complete shit. But you've got your 6 just giving the ball directly to them....

We are the better team but we were lucky tonight to come away with a point.

12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Not a very good match. We're now 1-1-1 at home for the season. Our offense is out of ideas beyond serve high balls into the box and hope Oduro, Arietta, or Higuain wins a header vs the other team's CBs. If we're going to play that way, at least have Bedell on the bench. Trapp was man of the match, he saved 2 goals and contributed to our goal. DC was in control while they played a 5 man line across the top of the box. They went forward on a break away and gave up the counter attack goal. Reminded me a bit of a match in 2001 vs DC when the Crew were playing 9 vs 10 against DC and Cunningham got a late winner.

Gonzalez should have been red carded. The DisCo shouldn't be able to suspend him since the ref gave him the yellow. The ref was terrible though. Every time Oduro got the ball with his back to goal, Parke was pushing him in the back or even running through him. No idea how he made it through the match without a card. I was in 124 and it sounded like the DC drummer was beating along to the Nordecke's beat.

13. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I would agree that the Toronto blueprint - from four ****ing weeks into the season - seems insurmountable at times, as I felt very little optimism that the tying goal would ever happen. I'm glad it did. But I hope that 3G continues to tweak things and make changes. For the moment, the book on how to beat this team is a pretty thin one.

Is Espindola even more annoying in a DC uniform, or is that just my black & gold spectacles slanting things?

14. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Total yawner in front of a few people. The crew were lucky to get a point at home

15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the attendance? I was there and it didn't seem too bad. Not great, but not any worse than the TFC match.

16. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    What the heck was Espindola - I think it was him - thinking when he let Trapp pick his pocket at the Crew's penalty area before Trapp took off and made that pass? What a terrible decision and an even worse effort by the DC player.

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Sika said about 11.5K

18. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Juan Guzman's handling of Gonzalez's foul on Eddie Johnson was awful in so many ways. He has to get a failing grade for tonight's game just for that, right? I'm not sure (1) how Gonzalez wasn't sent off or (2) why Guzman took so long to make a decision which directly led to the pushing and shoving in the goal. Your average Level 8 weekend ref would get dinged for that effort, let alone someone who's considered to be at the top of the food chain. Yikes.

19. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Espindola is such a bitch.

20. Robert Emmenegger

Jul 30, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This offense is facking shat. I'll accept the point being a man down, but if this team is going to be a serious contender they should be getting three points against a team like DC at home. Oduro is worthless in the middle. Williams (several times) had 20 clear yards to take the ball in for a cross but pulled up every time. If he's not going to be agressive, why send him forward? Also Espindola just made my shat list with Magee for taunting the crowd.

21. Robert Emmenegger

Jul 30, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    But the 50/50 was over double ($2k+) that of opening day. Somebody walked away with a grand tonight.

FootyRef repped this.
  22. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't me. :(

Crew looked terribad for most of the game. I don't know what was up with the audio for you folks at home, I'm in 102 and the Nordecke was in full swing for most of the game.

Refs were atrocious. Anor's tackle was not a red. He didn't even touch Kitchen and 100% got ball. Someone in the Nordecke threw a semi-full beer bottle on the field again tonight. Was fun yelling 'You ********ed Up' at Espindola all night.

I hope Gregg is spending every waking hour he has outside of practice looking for a scoring threat in the Summer Window - because what we got ain't doing it at all.

24. cbus3

cbus3 Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 9, 2009
    Paxdecke
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i lost my cool when i saw that beer bottle thrown on the field. we dont need that shit. if you ever see anybody do that, kick them tf out.

ZipSix, Crewner, Kryptonite and 4 others repped this.
  25. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His body language could give clues about some of the personnel he's having to depending on to SCORE GOALS :cool: