News: Crew to Host Stoke City

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by LaMacchia, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they'll get to play in Orlando too while they're over here.

2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was about to say...posted it in the Urso thread, but what's the average number of injuries per team per season? Is it 11-12 like what we have right now? Something is very, very wrong.

3. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I like it because a) Pulis is an ex Bournemouth player and manager and 2) stoke are the kind of team that will come to play. Not fanny around.

4. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure how they feel is directly correlated to how much they are getting paid to be here.

Look, I like soccer, or I wouldn't be here. The fact is, apart from Peter Crouch (are we really going to market this game around a 8'4" goofball with a history of HOT girlfriends?), I don't think I could mention a single other player on this team. There are certain teams that have marketability built in.
    Hot and Sexy: MUFC, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea
    Attractive: Tottenham, Everton, Newcastle
    Still Attractive (in a late night buzzed sort of way): Aston Villa, Fulham, even Bolton
    Beer Goggles: The rest

For me, I think it's ok to be excited that we are pulling in an EPL team, and one that was solidly in the PL, but I think we need to be honest with ourselves. Stoke are one of the fatter girls at the party. And they've always been chunky. They're not simply plump versions of their former hot selves (Villa, Bolton), but they are, have always been, and for the foreseeable future, always will be "that hot girl's fat friend."

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. I would have preferred Schalke (and I'm not even a Schalke fan). Philly ain't that far away from us and they are playing there.

6. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    With all the Crew injuries, are you sure Stoke is a good idea?

7. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crouch should be making England's Euro Championship squad, in which case it's pretty doubtful he'll be with the team in July anyhow. They'll have to market around Jones & Fuller (the "CONCACAF Connection"), provided either are even still at the club, that is.

8. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew vs. Stoke City should be a great match. I would much rather see this sort of team than some Russian oil enriched team of "superstars"! The "superstars" probably wouldn't play against us anyways. I am past worrying about the Crew FO being able to put more butts in the seats for these friendlies. The bottom line is that the FO does not know how to market soccer, period. Stoke has plenty of good players; Crouch, Pennant, Delap, Shawcross, Palacios, Jones, ....I will take my seat and enjoy the match, happy to see a BPL team live in Columbus.

9. OzweegoSC

OzweegoSC Member

Dec 10, 2007
    CMH
    Just a couple of fun facts for you........One of Stoke's owners also owns Orlando City Soccer in the USL. He is trying to get an MLS back into Florida. Tony Pulis's son Anthony plays for Orlando.

Shamrock Rovers repped this.
  10. OzweegoSC

OzweegoSC Member

Dec 10, 2007
    CMH
    Also...John Rooney plays for Orlando as well. Rooney and Pulis play midfield. We love signing midfielders so look for an offer soon!!!!

11. clevelandstoker

Aug 12, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Stoke City played in Ohio in the 1960s as the Cleveland Stokers. So you can market the Cleveland vs. Columbus thing if they were smart and explained the history of the club's roots in Ohio.
    I have no idea how many Stoke fans there are in Ohio, but they're all coming out of the woodwork on the Oatcake (Stoke's forum). Looks like there's a possibility of at least some sort of organized support showing up. Plus, Stoke travel well (if the jaunt into Europe was any indication) and the fans are loud (and have a proper distaste for Arsenal).

Don't discount the Potters quite yet.

12. stokiejoe

stokiejoe Member

May 10, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    hey guys! stoke fan here :)

i see you are basing us on our league position, which has been effected by playing in europe this season and we got to the last 30 so it is a lot of games. we have played basically two seasons now, so we have dropped places towards the end of the season as our players ar knackered :D anyway, we re only 2 points or so behind liverpool.
    also newcastle? they are similar in ability to us (ulthough we did beat them 4-0 last season :cool:)
    i dont want you to play your reserve side. i think it will be a big win for stoke if you do that. and sorry but this is a game we think we should be winning anyway. i mean, we are competing to get into the top 8 of the premierleague! this season has been a good season early on though. 1-1 v man utd, 1-0 v liverpool, 1-1 v man city, 2-1 v tottenham, 0-0 v chelsea, 2-1 v arsenal are just of the few good results we have had this season.

i also see you are trying to sign chris birchal? the former english division 4 player? :unsure:

anyway... i'll be back on to chat with you all in about... 7 hours :ROFLMAO: about the game and all things stoke and columbus crew :) i leave you with a rendition of delilah at our recent draw v man city and our fa cup semi final victory v bolton... enjoy:thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lhPIZql9wSk

General Disarray repped this.
  13. Coach Dad

Coach Dad Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We could also show you a five-goal highlight reel. Ours would just cover seven different games.

14. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad.....but true.

15. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Yeah, well, while we are getting our testicles out and putting them on the table for comparison
    Yeah, luckily only spanning one season (just).

16. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, dude, all of us here are well familiar with Stoke - which is why some of us are well disappointed.

17. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes exactly. Stoke fans, organization, prestige and beer is not up to Newcastle. Not by a long shot. All I was saying is that this is about the level of EPL team that comes to play us. Of course there are about 30 to 50 clubs that would further the Crew brand (and I would rather see) but frankly I am happy that any EPL team comes to visit Columbus. Stoke is still ahead about 500 other clubs in my mind so they aren't bad.

18. stokiejoe

stokiejoe Member

May 10, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    im back! although we dont have as bigger following as newcastle (probably because they were winning the league less than a generation ago) our fans crap on them ;) quality not quantity :)

im really looking forward to playing you guys in the summer! i wish i could come over but it's impossible at the minute. i just love it when we play teams we havnt played before.

19. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Respect - sorry if I'm coming off as disrespectful. And I'm sure Columbus will treat your boys well.

20. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as they're not like those douche bags from West Ham, right?

Its EPL. I'm pleased with any of them coming here.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that security has been uber-tightened, I wonder if (how?) the situation would be different. I'm not saying I want them back though.

22. stokiejoe

stokiejoe Member

May 10, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    no you're not :)

as long as we dont get cigarette lighters thrown like us in besiktas everything will be ok :p

23. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You use Smiles too much.

24. stokiejoe

stokiejoe Member

May 10, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    sorry... its a habit.. is it annoying?

25. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :cool: No:D , :geek: n:speechless: ot:ROFLMAO: a:thumbsup: t :devilish: a:eek: l:rolleyes: l:ninja:

Kryptonite repped this.