Crew signs Brazilian defender Gláuber Berti

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by JayFunkeyFresh, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a regular starter on a team that is better than we are. Not a perfect comparison but Rapid Bucarest is ranked 382 in the world football club rankings and the Crew are 716. Even with the flaws in that ranking systemthat is a big disparity. We are simply not going to be able to find/afford/lure a big, fast, experienced, young, international central defender (posts above have already been critical of speed and age). I've had issues with some of the FO decisions in the past, but I am willing to give this one a shot - it doesn't appear to be stupid on its face, in fact it looks like might it good be pretty good (not knowing the price). The last two international signings have turned out ok so far.

Micheluzzo, Kayak and jschwarz repped this.
  2. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin Berry- ROY still here (granted it's been 1 year)
    Omar Gonzalez- ROY still here (for now)
    Sean Franklin- ROY still here
    Matt Besler- Just resigned a contact to stay in MLS

I am curious as to the one's who have been good then gone quick?

3. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I get that it's easy to shit on the FO, but, really, I've been pretty thrilled, on the whole, with the international acquisitions they've brought in. Of course, with GBS, Higs and Arrieta, it's easy to overlook the Miros, Vargases, et al. It's -- gasp! -- getting to the point where I'm actually starting to trust Bliss' ability to bring in quality.

4. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may work out in Columbus (fingers crossed)....adding an experienced player is a good turn of events based on what has been happening lately! It doesn't seem like he has fit in well with his previous clubs?

5. jschwarz

jschwarz Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed 100%. We also have to remember this is MLS and not the EPL. It always depends what your comparing against. I'm still excited about the signing!

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boca, Bradley. There are others. Point is that long tenures at a club are not the norm for international soccer. There are always exceptions--but Chad was getting attention a few years back from European clubs. His injuries kept him from that.

7. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Probably thinking of Ream

8. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And Geoff Cameron.

Didnt Eric Lijah (sp) Aston Villa play with an MLS team too?
    ...and who could forget that really good defender Brek Shea to Stoke City

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to rack my brains a little since it's been while (4-5 years) that Gláuber has been in the Bundesliga. I'm a huge Bundesliga fan and most of what is above is pretty spot on. He's not fleet of foot and he does little to play a little deeper but no so deep he leaves gaps in front of him. IIRC, he did read the game well and he was 100% reliant on positioning. He's definitely not a ball hawk or bulldog. Gláuber isn't going to flying in on tackles a l a Aurélien Collin. When he does, the clumsiness, that is referenced above, comes to light. I don't quite remember his passing / ball skills but if they didn't stick out one way or the other, I conclude they are decent -- not great; not bad. Nonetheless, he was a decent Bundesliga player and if he's skills have not deminished since, I think Columbus will benefit. he's probably comparable to a Nat Borchers. For what it's worth, I think he provides just enough contrast to Marshall so you don't have two similar towers at CB. However, the DM in front of them needs to be very mobile in order to relieve the speed factor on a Marshall - Gláuber pairing. That's essential for both to be paired together effectively.

10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I don't mind adding Glauber but what problem does he fix for us? We already had a decent CB pairing with Marshall and Williams. Does this move Josh to LB again? With Anor not being ready we have Wahl and whoever this year's project is. I think they were trying Finlay at LB in reserve matches last year. We don't have anyone on the roster for whom LB is their prime position, except maybe Wahl who also plays inside. I hope to God we're not counting on him as a starter. If we add an international LB, is Williams playing RB? He deserves to be in the lineup but really isn't a fullback.

11. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Cameron. Maybe Edu?

12. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jardy's twitter says Williams to RB and O'Rourke to DM, so we must have an LB in mind.

Right?

13. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I'm sure we're looking for a LB but I fully expect to start the year with Williams-Marshall-Berti-Wahl as our back line.

14. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    maybe, with a wave of teams playing it abroad, we will see a back three, with wing backs....

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the attack we could have, this is not crazy.

16. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I think it has always been a problem with the crew in recent seasons that we never have any width, ever. this would help "solve" that problem. I still think it unlikely that we could pull off a 3 center back formation, but it does make letting our full backs go a little more explainable?

17. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God is a Brazilian

61(4 LIFE) repped this.
  18. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  19. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron was in MLS for 4 years
    Lichaj-Went from UNC straight to England
    Shea- His move is not happening anymore unless Stoke up their offer

My point is it's not like players get drafted have 2 good seasons then end up in Europe.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  20. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I remember a few games in the RW where we went to 3 in the back. We were chasing the game of course but for those 30 minutes I was in pure bliss at watching the Crew push forward.

21. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    ********ing hell, why didn't they just draft Eriq Zavaleta and be done with it? Idiots.

22. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want Tony Tchani anywhere near a position that would require him to distribute the ball offensively.

23. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Warzycha employing the 3-5-2 wingback formation??????? Please don't make me laugh. that 4-5-1 formation is what we are gonna get and makes go mad crazy like a coked up Greek in a Turkish bath house.

24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trapp will miss time with the U20's

25. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009