Crew Preseason Games

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by MLSinCleveland, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Our B team was the better B team. I'll take Speas over Meram at LW, Ethan looked really good on the right too. With all the switching our A team did I'd be tempted to sit Tchani in favor of Ethan and let he and Gaven work their switching out. That said I wasn't necessarily a fan of all that switching. They seemed to do a decent job keeping their shape but we've seen games where all that switching destroyed the teams shape and we looked like a U-12 team.

2. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see the game. What made Speas so much better than Meram?

3. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a brief moment when Withrow turned around and it looked like he might be wearing #40. I wouldn't bet any money on it, but it's my best guess right now.

4. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Thanks, it was just my attempt to follow who's-who during the match, GK was easy to figure out. :) I fully expect those numbers to change, but some might hold through pre-season at least.

5. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Just my onion but I think Speas is a better open field passer. I think Meram could be very effective up top but none of his crosses connected at least that I saw. Speas switched the field a time or two, I didn't really see much of that from Meram. Lastly if they were supposed to switch with each other a lot he was the least effective at it. Higuain, Gaven, and Tchani were inside/outside, wing/forward maybe it was because he was the most comfortable on the left of those out their but he didn't do it as much. He did go from the wing to central a few times but no one really replaced him out wide.

6. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Cup here we come ;)

7. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Champions of preseason!

Well not yet.

8. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #All your Preseason Trophies belong to us!

THOMA GOL and CrewV Man repped this.
  9. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. KillerCanary

KillerCanary Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From Jardy's perspective, "Throughout the first half... Viana pushed forward enough at left back that the Crew appeared to be using a 3-2-4-1."

This was due to having a strong wind at our backs, allowing both Viana and Williams to make longer runs into the attack. It felt like the way our backs "should" be able to play when our attack is getting forward, not like a different formation.

So, not freaked or surprised, but happy we were putting pressure forward.

Kayak repped this.
  11. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe RW drew up a 3-2-3-1-1 up and said go play this. Not for one second

BeMassiveSoccer and Kayak repped this.
  12. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Chicago game full replay here:

Big Strong Patrick and jschwarz repped this.
  13. josiahp

josiahp Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Three in the back? Sadly, I don't think RW would go for something as fun as three in the back, but given all the serviceable CB we have, I have been tempted with the idea of three defenders. Problem is, it takes wingers who can hustle, so besides Gavin I don't see this working.

14. jschwarz

jschwarz Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    only watched first half but here are my observations.
    - solid in the back and Glauber isnt here yet. Love the potential!
    -midfield was a disappointment plus terrible service from the wing into the box.
    -Liked the high pressure up top when Columbus did not have the ball. Absolutely no creativity up top and really no solid opportunities created!

I know its early but there is a lot of work needed before the season starts.

15. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Kevan George and Tony Tchani as our center mids, that is expected.

Really hope the Sanchez signing gets finalized.

16. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We Shall Not Be Moved!

17. soccerscott27

soccerscott27 Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sadly, the Crew have not placed this notice on their website, but I first saw it on Redbulls and then saw the Crew retweeted it. Hope there is less wind, so we can get a better feel for the quality of the aerial passing, and everyone enjoys watching the game.

Watch Live: Red Bulls vs. Columbus Crew (Friday, Feb. 1, at 9:30am)
    http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/live

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  18. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I can't help but keep wondering...I loved that Konrad wore #19, but I got to thinking, did Konrad choose #19 or did Bob assign it to him...

19. OHSouthsoccer

OHSouthsoccer New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Argentinos Juniors
    Ethan will make these plays all season and collect a bucket of goals ,speed to burn.

20. OHSouthsoccer

OHSouthsoccer New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Argentinos Juniors
    Ethan left him in the dust , he will start most of the year.

21. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Can he play on the left, I know its probably not ideal but he seems like a talented kid best suited to the wing unlike some of our other options who are out of position

22. OHSouthsoccer

OHSouthsoccer New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Argentinos Juniors
    Ethan was a striker in college so his stats tell us he can bag them but his pace is exciting here..

23. OHSouthsoccer

OHSouthsoccer New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Argentinos Juniors
    He will become a stud in this league he and Speas are still young . Ethan was the second best player in the NCAA as Hermann Trophy finalist last year when we drafted him so expecting him to flourish maybe up top in time.

24. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the new Missionary/Pastor?

POdinCowtown and stanger repped this.
  25. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That will remain to be seen. First Finlay will have to underperform or go on a long stretch of poor/questionable performances while OHSS continues to laud his greatness and blame any and all inadequecies on the players around him, the coach, the media, weather, the fans...

Hopefully, Finlay is the next coming of Jebus. That would be great, but KCBus should ready his red card in either event, because however it goes down we are going to want to punch this dude in his Internet ballsack; perhaps even before the season starts.

OHSS,
    Some friendly advice...cool it. Your over-enthusiasm will wear thin very quickly around here.