Post-match: Crew @ Earthquakes

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Apr 13, 2014.

1. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    1-1 draw. Higuain in the first half, Wondo in the second. Both teams with plenty of additional chances.

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzalez drops that little twat Wondolowski like a bag of hammers. Wondo was going apeshit at the ref. Put on your Big Boy pants you sissy.

Virginian repped this.
  3. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the Crew dominated large portions of play over the final 30 minutes.

Wish we would have brought on Meram and Bedell (or Jairo) earlier. Meram is dangerous whenever he has the ball near the other team's box.

4. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take a point on the road.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  5. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hopefully there isn't any additional discipline for Gonzalez after the altercation with Wando. Most disturbing part of the game with all of the half naked fat guys in the supporters section for SJ you'd think you were watching the NFL.

6. Devilmycare

Devilmycare Member

May 3, 2010
    Warren, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finishing. From what I watched over the last 4 weeks, it's still the MLS Achilles heel.

7. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a fair result.

8. neohiosocfan1

neohiosocfan1 New Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    A good point on the road and could have been three had the crossbar been a bit kinder. Francis' ball back to Higuan on the goal was tremendous as was the finish. Meram continues to be a spark with Trapp and Parkhurst being pure class. Onto the next one.

I'll be interested to see how/if the MLS discipline folks come out on the Gonzalez-Wondo mess. What a dirty play the hit on Wondo was then to follow it up with an awful flop. The sooner we get that trash out of our game the better. It's happening too often in almost every game I watch. Hopefully the league cracking down will begin to curb this stuff.

ibrew, kcfooty, Beerking and 2 others repped this.
  9. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'll take it - certainly an improvement over last week.

10. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'll take the point.

Time for the Oduro as a starter thing to end. He hasn't done a thing to justify his role this season and Jario has looked much more dangerous when he gets on the field.

11. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'll take the point, although I hope 3G has the team work on marking corner kicks this week. Not sure what to make of Wondo/Gonzo, except I'm sorry that Gonzalez folded like a deck chair.

It's great that Parkhurst got some minutes outside, and all. But Wahl doesn't exactly create the lock down confidence in the middle. A game winner for either team wouldn't have been a big surprise.

12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is both guys get fined.

Gonzales dropped Wondo with a stiff shoulder challenge away from the ball. But he didn't drill him in the head, he didn't hit him straight from behind -- it was actually a lot of shoulder-to-shoulder. Now, it should have been a foul, and possibly a card, but nothing to scream about.

Once they got up, Wondo threw what could very liberally be interpreted as a punch, although it was really more like a light shove using a punch motion. Again, probably not something that would have drawn more than a firm talking to or a yellow at most had it been seen.

And the flop was ridiculous. Posthumous yellow and fine.

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what I've seen so far, I'm more worried about our defense than our offense. I think the offense has the tools to get it done. Our defense is making too many mistakes, both in marking and with possession of the ball.

But if we'd been offered the chance after five matches to be top of the East, I'm sure we'd have all taken it.

14. Robert Emmenegger

Jul 30, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    A point on the road - acceptable. Still in first place. I see the Bedell-Lurch factor has now been recognized by 3G.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  15. sidefoot

sidefoot Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzalez cheapened the shirt with a flop that would have embarrassed Sergio Busquets. I hope he get s a fine for that nonsense, and a talking to from Berhalter.

Oduro's poor form is disconcerting.

Good away point.

ZipSix repped this.
  16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strikers are streaky, most of the time. I'm not too worried about Dom. But I would like to see him come off the bench next time.

17. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'll take a point on the road, but I'm a little disappointed the Crew weren't able to put a bad team like that away.

The Crew have a bad habit of coming out slow in the first or second half. They need to work on that first 15 intensity.

18. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not worried about Oduro. The goals will come he hit the bar on a splendid shot. I am a bit worried taht we still are trying to get our fbs forward to just cross the ball in the air. This game was better because they seemed to cut inside more and not just one time it into the box (Josh Williams seems like that is his only instinct). That might work with Bedell, but Oduro needs the through ball as service not the high cross. I do like this offense a whole lot more than anything we have seen in the last few years though. I can't believe I am going to say it but I see improvement in Tchani's game. He still makes the occasional bone headed give away, but he has gotten better. If you had offered me 10 points out of 15 at the beginning of the season I would have taken it without question.

19. sidefoot

sidefoot Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too early to get really worried. But at the moment his performances are not quite good enough.

Incidentally, I thought I saw you (or someone who looks very much like your avatar) on the big screen during the home match against Philly. I was sitting in 103, it looked like you were in the Nordecke...

20. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crewster point standings thru this week's games

EAST
    Columbus 4
    Toronto 3
    New England 1
    Kansas City -1
    Chicago -1
    Philadelphia -2
    New York -2
    Houston -3
    DC -5
    Montreal -6
    WEST
    Salt Lake 4
    Seattle 4
    Colorado 4
    Dallas 1
    Los Angeles 1
    Vancouver -1
    Chivas -3
    San Jose -7
    Portland -8

21. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzo was an embarrassment at the end of the match. A dirty play off the ball and then a flop.

Worst part?

Had the referee seen the play, Gonzalez would've been sent off (he was already on a yellow) and San Jose, who innocently had the ball out wide with no real threat, would've been handed a free kick 19 yards away from goal in the 90th minute. Dumb, dumb, dumb dumb dumb play. I doubt he'll get suspended, but will likely be fined. I'd be shocked if Wondo was fined.

Beerking repped this.
  22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I thought Higuain had his best match since the opener. His passes mostly found their targets and he darted around the field with a lot of energy. Agree Giancarlo is probably looking at a fine. DC has won a couple in a row so next week is another 6 pointer.

23. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes we will take one point on the road. SJ is a better team than I expected. I thought offensively we showed some improvement, better/less crosses. Higuain had a great match controlling the middle. Clark saved us a number of times, deserved the MOTM.

Maybe Bedell should get a start in the middle up front? We need a physical striker to match up with the bruising defenders that every opponent in MLS seems to have. Oduro needs to be out on the wing using his speed.

Meram should be in the starting lineup. When he entered the match we perked up on offense.

Gonzales needs to reprimanded by GB, totally unacceptable behavior.

24. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The foul was bad enough, but the flop was laughable. That was a true embarrassment to the game.

25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I was on the screen for a second or two--but I was up in 124 with Mrs KG.