Create the ultimate Super Team

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by JacopeX, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Clinical Striker redded

Jun 2, 2007
    I agree but this team has some balance, the others are fantasy and to old to even try to beat my unbelievable team.

2. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Someone, please tell me he is just kidding...

Any team with Maradona, Cryuff and Pele in the field together would destroy anyone.

3. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    If you give Maradona, Cruyff and Pele a year to gain fitness and adapt to the modern tactics, I tend to agree with you, but if you just take a time machine to fetch them and let them play 2 weeks later, I tend to agree with clinical striker.

From what I have seen (which is not really much), but also from what my father tells me and players like Beckenbauer or Netzer tell in interviews, the game is totally different nowadays from it was 30 years ago. The pace is way higher, fitness is much more important, there is more pressing involved, more short-passing and more running without the ball. I'm pretty sure most of the great players could adapt, given enough time, though.

4. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    I have to disagree, because the same can be said if you put players of today in the times of Cryuff, Maradona and Pele. The pitches nowaday are much better condition, the equipment (cleats, shin guards, goalie gloves) give players an even better advantage, not to mention advances in medicine and the fact that defenders back in the day got away with much worse tackles that today would probably be yellows, if not reds. So, yes they may struggle to adapt (Idk about Maradona though because out of those 3 he was the closest in time period to us) but you can say the same for today's players in the 60s, 70s etc

5. Northy#5

Northy#5 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    US
    ---------------------------Yashin----------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------Maldini------------------------------
    Carlos Alberto----------------------------------Baresi
    ------------------------Beckenbauer-------------------------
    Maradona---------------Platini------------------Cruijff
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------Zidane-----------------------------
    ---------------Ronaldo-------------------Pele----------------

kthx :D

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Why did you select a passenger behind the strikers?

7. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    that teams pretty good, i just have the suggestion of putting Maldini on the left side (his natural position) and Baresi in the center (which is also his natural position)

8. JoeAlexBes

JoeAlexBes New Member

Feb 12, 2008
    This is a really great team!

Yashin
    Baresi - Beckenbauer - C.Alberto - Maldini
    Koeman
    Cruijff Maradona
    Zidane

Ronaldo - Pelé

9. SterNYork

SterNYork Member

Aug 14, 2007
    ------------------------------Zoff------------------------

-----Carlos Alberto-----------Baresi---------Maldini--------

--------------------------Beckenbauer-------------------

-----Garrincha---------------Zidane---------Best---------

---------------------------Maradona---------------------

--------------------Pele-----------------Di Stefano--------------

10. eXecutioner

eXecutioner New Member

May 31, 2006
    ya here's the thing to have a "super team" you have to have players that work together not against eachother to hog the ball, thats why these teams with Maradona, Garrincha, Pele, Best, etc. would get their asses handed to them by a 1970 Ajax team which was the epidemy of teamwork

11. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    --------------Yashin
    C. Alberto--Baresi--Beckenbauer-Maldini
    -----------Matheaus-----------------
    Cruyff------Maradona-----Best
    ----Eusebio----- Pele-------

Ronaldo
    Figo
    Koeman
    Garincha
    Zidane
    Zico

12. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

What makes these players the greatest ever; is that they can do it all. Pele was a CAM but can get by 6 players repeativly and score goals over 1,200+. Maradona close to similar but not as often as Pele. Garrincha= C. Ronaldo of today. etc. These players are not one-dimensional(meaning only dribblers). All these players can pass with accuracy and flair just as good as they can do wonderstrikes. Saying Pele,maradona,Garrincha,Best,etc. wouldent work is suprising to read form a football fan.

13. Glenn_69

Glenn_69 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Berchem
    In fifa 07 and 08 they've put a "Classic XI" team with former world players...
    It might not be a super team (no péle, Maradonna, Cruyff, ...) due to Licenses, but it's pretty okay:

GK
    Ravelli

DEF
    Beckenbauer
    Carlos Alberto
    Facchetti
    Andreas Brehme
    Trésor
    Baresi

MID
    Boniek
    Zico
    Rivera
    Hagi
    Leonardo
    Conti
    Abedi Pele
    Koeman

ATT
    Cantona
    Völler
    Hugo Sanchez
    Kranki
    Papin
    Amancio
    Rufer

But I think it's very hard to make an all-time best ever team... b/c every position is taken 5 times or so....
    That's why i'm going to make teams per decade, it's much easier to make teams per decade then per ever...

I'm starting my research (to much free time :-d) now and will post the first later on...

TEAMS:

2000-Now

Comming later on...

1990-1999

1980-1989

1970-1979

1960-1969

1950-1959

14. Glenn_69

Glenn_69 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Berchem
    So here it finally is, the All-Star Team of the decade 2000-2007...

-----------------------Kahn-----------------------
    Zambrotta-----Carvalho-----Cannavaro-----R.Carlos
    Figo---------Zidane---------Kaka---------Ronaldinho
    ----------------Ronaldo------Henry-----------------

I took into account all the different awards that were won by the players and club/country preformaces on major tournaments... I didn't look at the Copa America, b/c the best players there usually play in Europe and win other awards there... Same thing with the Africa cup altough I did look at the African PotY award.

I will Ajust this team after the Euro 08, so some places may chance...

Some explenations:

Kahn - Yeah, he aLOT of awards, but it was still a close call between him and Buffon... You could say Buffon won a world cup but still... Maybe if Buffon plays really fenomenal at the Euro that he'll get the spot... who knows...

Zambrotta - For the Right defence it wasn't really hard, he stood out, and was elected in the best team both at the WC 06 and Euro 04

Cannavaro - best Team @ Euro 2000, only defender to win a Fifa world player award, won the world cup... says enough

Carvalho - This spot went between Carvalho and Sol campbell. Altough others like Terry did come to mind... it were the later preformaces of Portugal in Euro 04 and WC 6 that put Carvalho over the top (also he's Terry's teammate at Chelsea)

R.Carlos - Him or Maldini was the question... but once I looked at all the thing's he has done and the nominies he's gotten... besides, Maldini will no doubt be in one of the 2 following teams (if not both)

Ronaldinho - Now has a dip, but won the WC in 2002 AND the Champions league, AND was 2-time Fifa world Player and had some elections with best Uefa best forward/Midfielder...

Zidane - No explenation Needed, best player of the last decade, point. Even tough he's quit football, and won't be playing the last 4 years of this decade, I think he'll be in the squad even after the decade has passed (not even Ronaldinho of Kaka could chump him out...). It would be a crime not putting him in here

Kaka - Won the Fifa world player award last year, won the champions league, the world cup, AND got elected several times as best midfielder/forward by Uefa

Figo - Hard call, Figo or C.Ronaldo (with Beckham behind them) as Right Winger... but in the end I chose Figo right NOW (this could, and probally will chance in a few years if C.Ronaldo keeps, on developing and winning awards, mostly the world player award) b/c he has won the CL, played the finel at Euro 04, and was once one of the best players in the world, also won the world player award and was 2nd and 3th some times, while C.Ronaldo only made one appearance (3th this year)

Ronaldo - Even tough he's really bad now (relatively bad), he's done more things then any other forward this decade, and his list of awards is enormous: Best team WC 02, Best player, Uefa Forward of the year, Player of the year, etc...

Henry - It was a tough call between Henry and Eto'o... but Henry won more awards, and I rated the Ueropean Awards higher then Eto'os 6 appearences in the African poty award....

What do you guys think? If there are players wich you think would be better please tell me. But don't come with "Messi should be in b/c he's the best, he's new maradonna..." B/c Messi has talent and is a great football player, but hasn't proven anything....

comming up: Decade team 1990-1999

bye

15. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    2000 - Now

Code:
    ------------------------------ Buffon ------------------------------
    ------------------------ Nesta ----- Cannavaro ---------------------
    ----- Thuram ---------------------------------------- Ashley Cole --
    ------------------------ Vieira ---- Pirlo -------------------------
    ---------------------------- Ronaldinho ----------------------------
    -------- Shevchenko ------ van Nistelrooy --------- Henry ----------
    Substitutes: Casillas; Terry, Puyol, Zambrotta; Makelele, Gerrard, Nedved, Cristiano Ronaldo; Totti.

16. Glenn_69

Glenn_69 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Berchem

lol man, @ least Zidane should be in there... RVN is fantastic, but no where near any of the other options (are you going to tell me he's done more then Ronaldo? this comming from a RM fan who hates the guts out of Ronaldo)
    Shevchenko would be a good option, Puyol and makelélé too, also Nedved and Totti...

I didn't take any subs... just the best 11

17. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    --------------------Schmeichel

--Djalma Santos--Beckenbauer--Gentiles--Maldini

------------Redondo------------Keane

--Garrincha------------------------------Giggs

-------------------Pele

------------------------Muller

18. The Sun King

The Sun King New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    --------------------------------Yashin-------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------Beckenbauer (C) -------------
    C. Alberto---------------Moore----------------------------------Maldini
    -----------------------Rijkaard---------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------Redondo---------------------
    ---------Garrincha-----------------------------------Maradona-------
    --------------------------Pele---------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------Ronaldo----------------------

19. Wonderwall952

Wonderwall952 Member

Oct 14, 2006
    ......................Banks...................

Thuram.....Baresi.....Moore.....Maldini

...........Beckenbauer....Keane..........

...................Di Stefano.................

........Best.........Pele...........Cruyff...

20. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I think these are arguments that haven't considered very well the time. I'm going to put a team of 1990 - 1999, and in that team Zidane and Ronaldo are going to be irrepleaceables.

You should consider that if you divide the time for decades, the concepts you use are going to complicate because more than one you can pick for more than one decade, as Ronaldo or Zidane for example.

I consider that Ronaldo had his top level in 90's, maybe was the best of that decade, especially for the impressive machine he was in Barcelona in 1996 and 1997, or his impressive season in PSV Eindhoven in 1995. His time in Real Madrid between 2002 to 2005 was good, but I think not than good as his late 90's phase.

About Zidane, is the best player I ever seen in my opinion, and I'd have to choose a decade to put him in, it would be 90's, when he played for Juventus since 96, his best time in my opinion, and when he leaded his national team to winning their first World Cup in 98. As Ronaldo, I think his time in Real Madrid, especially until 2001 to 2003, was great, but not than good as his late 90's phase neither.

21. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    no maradona?

22. Wonderwall952

Wonderwall952 Member

Oct 14, 2006
    No doubt he was a top player but he's the only player I don't want to include. Every other player, whatever my personal opinion is of them, I can see their talent but its just his personality, lifestyle and that goal which make me hate him :D

I can see why people put him in their teams though.

23. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    1990 - 1999

Code:
    ----------------------------- Schmeichel -----------------------------
    ------------------------ Hierro ------ Baresi ------------------------
    ------ Cafú --------------------------------------- Roberto Carlos ---
    ---------------------- Matthäus ----- Roy Keane ----------------------
    ------------- Rivaldo -------------------------- Zidane --------------
    ----------------------- Ronaldo ------ Romario -----------------------
    Substitutes: Kahn; Koeman, Maldini, Zanetti; Redondo, Figo, Laudrup; Baggio, Batistuta.

24. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    the separate eras idea is a very good one

here's mine for the current era (2000-2008)

GK - Gianluigi Buffon

RB - Gianluca Zambrotta (Juventus/Barcelona and Italy)
    CB - Alessandro Nesta (Lazio/Milan and Italy)
    CB - Paolo Cannavaro (Juventus/Real Madrid and Italy)
    LB - Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid and Brasil)

LM - Pavel Nedved (Lazio/Juventus and Czech Republic)
    DM - Michael Ballack (Bayer Leverkusen/Bayern Munech/Chelsea and Germany)
    RM - Cristiano Ronaldo (Sporting CP/Manchester United and Portugal)
    AM - Ronaldinho (PSG/Barcelona and Brasil)

S - Raul (Real Madrid and Spain)
    S - Andriy Shevchenko (AC Milan/Chelsea and Ukraine)

Subs

GK - Oliver Kahn (Bayern Munech and Germany)
    CB - John Terry (Notthingham Forest/Chelsea and England)
    CB - Paolo Maldini (AC Milan and Italy)
    CM - Deco (FC Porto/Barcelona and Portugal
    CM - Steven Gerrard (Liverpool and England)
    S - Thierry Henry (Arsenal/Barcelona and France)
    S - Ruud van Nistelrooy (PSC/Manchester United/Real Madrid and Holland)

I put Cristiano Ronaldo in my starting lineup and by the end of the decade he will be a no brainer IMO

25. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I'll deal with Glenn_69 later.

I don't disagree with the former but I do find the latter interesting, mainly because it disagrees with what most eductated people would state. Now before anyone complains I don't mean that as an insult but simply to highlight that most people who seriously watch the game would rate Zidane circa 2001-2003 as him being at his peak. It's also the only period of time during which I have little complaint about people praising him. For you to state differently is somewhat surprising. Care to elaborate on why you believe that to be the case?