CR7 and Messi's place in football history

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by benficafan3, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Lafleur

Lafleur Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Yes, of coarse....very valid point.
    In fact, CRonaldo has played to an unbelievable level given how much change and pressure he's had to deal with at club and country over the years. This is often greatly over looked by petty fans when comparing players such as in the Messi vs CRonaldo debates but that's for another conversation. I have strong opinions about that one too.

2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Portuguese posters have an emotional stake in CRonaldo's success...

Puck has already called you out in numerous lies, including coldly stating that Figo amassed all of ten assists in the CL over his playing career :rolleyes:. Also, I didn't get the feeling from schwuppe's single post on this matter that it's not even worth discussing, but it does not surprise me that you interpret it that way. Lying and misinterpreting other poster's words pretty much destroys any credibility you had in this subject.

3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That is difficult to say who was a bigger game changer. Figo, despite playing for big clubs, never played for such immensely dominant teams like pre-2009 United or current Real Madrid.
    You mentioned that Ronaldo is likely to reach the 30-35 assists number too, but Ronaldo has already played more UCL (main tournament) games as Figo, which also points to a slight difference in era. Figo scored btw 24 goals in the Champions League (vs 60 for Ronaldo, in slightly more games so far).
    UEFA changes the allocation of entry spots frequently (in the latest reform they gave extra berths to the top tier countries and lowest tier countries - "more national champions in the Champions League" - at the expense of medium-sized leagues; this enhances scoring for the big teams ofc, it is a kind of divide-and-rule by the corrupt UEFA).

It is a bit similar to the frequent Latin-induced Messi vs Maradona discussions. Arrigo Sacchi has put it well when he said that Maradona was more like a creator of Napoli their game while Messi is an effect of Barcelona their trademark play. Something similar can be said about Ronaldo vs Figo.

Maybe it is a more interesting thought (and relevant) to juxtapose Cristiano Ronaldo against Ronaldo Nazario.

Cristiano is undoubtedly more athletically gifted but Figo being a better dribbler, playmaker, crosser, trapping and general striking of the ball is also my thought.

benficafan3 repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    [​IMG]

From 1992-2013 (only main tournament so excluding preliminary rounds)

Of course, the set-up and such has varied hugely throughout the years. Xavi has also played 130 games IIRC while Zidane played 80 in his entire career.

Skorenzy and benficafan3 repped this.
  5. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    You're getting worse than Bada Bing. I did not lie, I even stated after putting that number that I did not believe it true and I was the one who found the source to back up his claim. You're a child. Go elsewhere.

6. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    #506 benficafan3, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    Well, let's not forget, Ronaldo is largely the reason that his teams were/are so dominant. We can't say Figo didn't have immense talent around him, as Ronaldo does, when he played in a team of Galacticos. Zidane and R9 alone are arguably more talented players than any teammate CR7 has ever had at club level.

And actually, Figo had 103 appearances in the CL. CR7 has 98 or 99. And that is excluding qualifying rounds.
    http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/jamie.spencer/522254/the-18-members-of-the-champions-league-century-club

Also, I think an important point in relation to this, Figo didn't start playing in the Champions League, as pointed out in that link, until he was 25 at 1997. So essentially, he didn't really start playing until he was in his prime, contrast that with CR7, who started at the age of 18. That's very important to take into account and is a fact that vastly favors Figo if we're discussing stats.

And I agree with that last statement.

7. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is as stupid as discounting the opinions of Argentinians because they have an emotional stake in CR's failure.

benficafan3 repped this.
  8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you know it's inaccurate then why post it? :rolleyes:

Top post Puck, you have taken the time to rectify the false claims.

In this thread, I have only been discussing Figo vs CRonaldo, nothing to do with Messi.

9. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The emotional stake in discounting CR's achievements doesn't magically disappear. What I'm saying is that the argument that Portuguese opinions are invalid is ridiculous. Imagine me saying that an Argentinian cannot compare the deeds of Messi vs. Maradona, it would be frankly ridiculous.

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have nothing against CRonaldo, I do think Messi is the greater player but at the end neither one has made a great international tourney yet.

Also saying that all Portuguese posters agree on CRonaldo being better is not true either, just took a look at the Portugal forum and that appears not to be the case.

11. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    But you're not trusting us who say that we have no bias on Figo vs Ronaldo, so should I trust you when you say you have nothing against him? My point being, that these accusations lead the discussion nowhere so we might as well just read the arguments and make our points without starting to speculate about how deep the other guy's bias goes.

Absolutely, and it's further evidence that the argument that being Portuguese leads to automatically favouring CR over Figo isn't a very convincing one. If anything, I'd say that Figo wins on the emotional pull but CR is getting closer.