Could there be 3 MLS teams in NYC?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MiWilson, Jan 16, 2013.

1. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    NYC could support 2, but 3 is a stretch, especially if their start dates come too close together and overlap each other's momentum a bit. Ontario might be able to support a second too, not that MLSE would stand by and let it happen but there's potential whether in Hamilton, northeast of Toronto or even southwestern Ontario. Definitely room for NASL if not 2 top flight teams.

2. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Cosmos clearly brand themselves as a Long Island team it could work---you would have one greater metro area team, one city specific team, and a long island/suburbs team---i wouldn't hold my breath on this happening anytime soon though.

What I think could happen is that we could have an offseason or preseason or even midsummer exhibition series.

Governor's Cup
    (5 spots, home and away, most points)
    1) Red Bull
    2) NY "Citeh" FC
    3) Cosmos
    4) Rochester Rhinos
    *5) Regional Invitational Spot

* Could play against each other for the invitational spot:
    FC NY Victory (if they ever get their act together)
    Brooklyn Italians
    NY Athletic Club
    Jersey City Eagles

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would not do that for the same reason the Red Bulls do not call themselves the New Jersey Red Bulls and the Anaheim Angels are now the LA Angels of Anaheim.

Having the city name/Metro area name in your title is better marketing.

4. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he was suggesting a "Long Island Cosmos" name..... more of an New York Islanders type approach..... (soon to be a moot point though with them moving to Brooklyn.)

5. Alamo City Ultra

May 15, 2012
    san antonio, tx
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    London metro has around 16 clubs playing in the top four divisions. Yes, they have all been around for quite a long time. Teams gotta start somewhere, and if they're willing to accept little support and losing money in the beginning, who's to say what the future holds. Soccer is beginning to really grow here in the states.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYC metro area has 9 in the top 4 divisions

Giants
    Jets
    Yankees
    Mets
    Nets
    Knicks
    3 Hockey teams

7. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could there be 3 MLS teams in NYC? A good question might be is there one now?

Thank you, I'll be here all week. Tip your waitress.... over.

tommy mack

8. MiWilson

MiWilson Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you read the first post?

9. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I did, thanks for asking. Was I being literal? Nope. Was I making a backhanded insult to the fact that the MetroBulls have underperformed both on the field and marketwise? Yep.

So my question to you is: do you like gladiator movies?

tm

10. Kings of Cascada

Mar 24, 2012
    Frisco, TX,
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FO of the Cosmos is brilliant. This stadium has them set up in a win-win.

Facts:
    ~The New York Cosmos name invokes images of Pele, Beckenbauer, large crowds at the Meadowlands, ect ect. It is a CASH COW.
    ~This ownership group obviously has money. (I seriously doubt a 400 million stadium proposition is just a mere media ploy.)
    ~Regardless of MLS or NASL, they will be more than able to lure talent to dominate the NASL or compete in the MLS.
    ~There is a finite amount of support in NY/NJ

Garber will likely have to choose between the Cosmos and Flushing FC.
    If he goes with the Cosmos, mission accomplished.

If he chooses Flushing, then you just continue with the stadium plans. Market your product properly, bring in the right talent, and you can beat Flushing from outside the MLS. Maybe not immediately, but people will wake up and smell the coffee. Like a previous poster said. Dominate the USOC, contend in the CCL, spend like a Qatari oil baron, pimp your CCL and USOC matches to the max, you get the idea.