Could NASL in Boston work?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by Arsenalkid700, Mar 2, 2012.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember someone bumped a 2-3 year old thread and I saw a post that was totally idiotic and I quoted the post to call out the stupidity, and then I saw that the poster was me. :oops:

2. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I prefer my evidence to be Imperial, thank you very much. :p

3. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think the main underling problem with NASL in Boston is that Boston is a major league city and anything non-Major League will just fall on its face. You can snobbery or whatever, but the simple fact is that there is a handful of cities where they are so use to top leagues, in all their sports, that anything that is not considered top flight will just not draw necessary audience to make it profitable. New York, Chicago, LA, Miami, and a few others are in the category with Boston that they feel "they deserve" the Majors. Anything else just will not do.

Of course there are always fans that can see past that, but we are talking about the average American citizen here. The simple fact is that the average American only cares about the best, a bandwagon to jump on. NASL is not the bandwagon they want a ride on.

Now, if NASL were able to accomplish a lot of the points we pointed out (like downtown stadium and litany of other "MLS-killer concepts") they would still struggle in a city like Boston. Could they make it work? It is not impossible, but not really good odds. I also don't have faith in the current NASL regime to do it right or give the backing to an owner/group where they could make it work in a place like Boston (or other big "major league" city).

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, see, here *I* think the main underlying problem with the NASL in Boston is that no one is attempting to put an NASL team in Boston.

5. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    I don't understand why people talk about underlying issues with cities when discussing the NASL. At this point the league is small enough that any decent-sized city is in play as long as they have a place to play and a millionaire owner that is willing to subsidize operations.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Boston isn't a "decent-sized" city. It's a big city. And in a big city it takes more than just a millionaire owner subsidizing operations. Just ask the LA Blues or the California Victory...

bullsear repped this.
  7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that the eternal issue? If we had places to play and millionaire owners, we'd have a grand ol' time.

If that were all it took, even. But we don't even have that in most places.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And I think it has less to do with public acceptance of a minor league team in those markets and more to do with the fact that the local media will give you absolutely zero in the free marketing department and the local business will be a lot harder to convince to sponsor said organization.

Local sponsorship dollars and payments in kind are the lifeblood of most minor league teams. Hell, the main downfall of the NHL Hartford Whalers is that they were squeezed out of local broadcast revenues and corporate sponsorship dollars by the teams in nearby Boston and New York.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shhhhhhhhhh, that one psychotic Whaler fan who can't listen to reason will show up if you keep invoking that.

10. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Wait ... why wouldn't a millionaire jump at the chance to own a division two or three soccer franchise with little hope of ever making a dime?

It's almost like our hypothetical sample population is self (de)selecting ...

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they KNEW THERE WAS A 1/16 CHANCE THEY COULD GET INTO MLS, THEY WOULD JUMP AT IT!

The 1/16 chance they could wind up in an even lower division is not a concern. It's like calories consumed on vacation, it doesn't count. In fact, THAT 1/16 is not equivalent to the OTHER 1/16. Their players will just fight harder and not get relegated at all.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wait. You're telling me that lack of pro/rel isn't what is holding us back? What?

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey they might get lucky. I mean the guy in LA jumped at the chance to own a D3 team with the Blues and has continued to lose money beyond his originally stated end date. Maybe Boston can find another sucker like him?

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading the Chicago NASL thread and seeing how the Revs kicked their supporters out of the Revs/Chivas game today got me thinking.

First, thread resurrection, since I know how much Kenn appreciates that. Although at 6 months fresh this one isn't that bad.

Second, the ownership of MLS in Foxboro, seems to have lost the narrative and is still playing 30 miles from downtown Boston. I wonder, since the Breakers are making a go at living at Harvard, could a NASL team setup there? Seems to be one of the few stadium locations with parking and decently close to downtown.

Thoughts?

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how healthy the Breakers are.

I don't know that Harvard would be considered a viable long term stadium for anyone, considering what we know about team finances.

And I find thread necrophilia far less objectionable when it is done to continue or re-start a discussion or add actual valuable applicable information than when it is done to add a marginally-relevant link and nothing else to a long-dead thread merely because someone believes their entire raison d'etre is to share stupid links about minutiae.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'll argue that Men's soccer and Women's soccer are as about as related as the NFL and the Womens Rugby. I think there are entirely different audiences, one much larger than the other. I only mention the Breakers because they use Harvard and its not the worse place or location near downtown Boston. I would be interested to find out what they do pay in rent or if its some form of charity by the school (doubtful).

Skimming this thread I couldn't find much discussion of actual venues in the downtown areas. Are there others that locals or wiki/Google aficionados could share?

17. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Has FSG expressed any interest in another soccer team? Playing at Fenway would seem to be a great option.

An investment like that by FSG could also give others the confidence to invest more in the NASL and turn it into a legitimate competitor to MLS.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not entirely, but certainly with less overlap than one might think on first glance.

But what you actually said was "I wonder, since the Breakers are making a go at living at Harvard, could a NASL team setup there?"

I do not know that the Breakers are making a go at living at Harvard (they're making an attempt, surely). And I don't know how much Harvard has to do with their apparent predicament, though I am pretty sure that it's not a viable stadium for a pro team of either gender in the long-term.

And so, if men's and women's soccer have "entirely different audiences," it seems to make little sense to bring the Breakers into it at all.

Highly doubtful.

Also doubtful: that you'd need to research possible downtown or near-downtown Boston facilities for a mythical team that has not even been hinted at recently.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A great option? Did you see the last soccer game played there?

Yeah, sure noob. Because what's holding them back now is that there are all these multibillionaires just poised to boost the NASL into a "legitimate competitor to MLS," but they're waiting until someone with gravitas steps off the dock first.

Puh. Leeze.

20. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It can't be worse than Yankee Stadium... can it? Or for that matter Gillete.

Someone's cranky in the morning.

Nobody is lining up to invest in the NASL now. Without Hunt/AEG nobody would be lining up to invest in MLS now. If the NASL wants to compete it needs something similar. A NASL club taking Boston from the Revolution would be a good first step towards that.

21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I'd love for someone, anyone to push the Krafts.

Just like every other NEast city however land would be a MONSTROUS issue, and there is little suitable in Boston.

This is one fantasy I can buy into. USL, NASL....anyone. Make a splash in Boston and humiliate the Krafts.

Just way to hard to see anyone trying.....makes me sad.

Also, the Gillette experience could be much, much better. Of course that would require an owner who gives a sh*t, and we know he doesn't. Sigh. How sad.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is always cranky.

The Breakers are using Harvard, thats all the connection I was looking for. Plus NWSL has semi-similar attendance to NASL. I could have picked the pro lacrosse or minor league football venues, but I have no idea where they play.

Hmmm so yeah, since threads like this are fantasy anyway, I just picked one potential venue, threw it out there and wanted see if anyone else had a better idea. Perhaps not.

As for Red Sox, I agree with Kenn, they are not interested. If they wanted in on MLS nothing is stopping them. And I don't see them getting involved with NASL at any level.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I restarted this thread. Last night the Revs kicked out their supporters section, the Fort. I would imagine at least this week, a alternative to the Revs would be at a all-time high. Maybe all will be forgiven and this point becomes moot again.

Zoidberg repped this.
  24. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  25. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sure, they could easily buy into MLS, but if they want a team in Boston they're blocked. I brought up FSG because they have local roots and own an EPL team. Which makes them actually plausible, if you squint enough, as NASL owners. Ultimately we all know it won't happen. :(