Could NASL in Boston work?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by Arsenalkid700, Mar 2, 2012.

1. VikingPA

VikingPA Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I am ok if you put in a piña colada concession too...

2. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Here's a little something to get you started.

[​IMG]

3. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I can't help it if hyperbole and sarcasm aren't things you understand.

4. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Oh grasshopper, it is not I that doesn't understand, but it is you as I already addressed your consistent contradictions and lack of information on the subject. Go eat some turkey, and enjoy the day off. Tomorrow you can return for another lesson.

5. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    All this and you still haven't made a case for a single place where a Boston NASL club could play. You haven't addressed a single thing. I challenged your throw a bunch of shit up against the wall and see what sticks approach to a complex problem.

Furthermore, Andy pointed out that Boston isn't a minor league kind of town. A NASL club would be DOA unless it had a great stadium to showcase their product. Even then, it would be a huge challenge.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm struggling to understand what the last page or so of posts have anything to do with NASL Boston. Lets try to be a little nicer, little less condescending and keep on topic people. Mazel tov.

EDIT And then Blues posts. Very good. Well except the nice part, but oh well.

7. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    My case? You mean your case that there were no places, absolutely none in Boston. The one you kept twisting to other variations such as "not suitable", etc. The point was already made - there are places.

No, what he compared was a minor league team in a city with a different financial environment juxtaposed Boston, and how it was difficult for the team to compete against Boston while being in Hartford. Get it straight.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You keep reinforcing the fact that you see what you want and either can't or refuse to comprehend what I wrote. I would kindly ask that you refrain from mis-paraphrasing my posts.

Thank.

9. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    No, these are your exact words:
    You made the comparison between Hartford and Boston (and New York), and focused on markets. You addressed that the Whalers were unsuccessful in Hartford (for the long run) because they could not acquire the right support (including sponsorship and broadcast revenues) - (though this something that they lost because of other reasons which I am not going to talk about here) . Again, as I previously replied, Hartford and Boston are two very different financial environments. There are many reasons why Hartford as a whole has not had the same spectrum of professional sports available as in Boston. Hartford a is an up and coming city, that is seeing a major turn around, but you can not compare it to Boston without placing both in the proper context.
    Focus on Boston.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yep, you misread what I wrote. Just put me on your ignore list.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You act as if you are erudite and all, but you're just another sockpuppet who surely has been around the block before under another identity and gets his rocks off being contrary. Someone with such belief in his convictions that he espouses them from behind the veil of anonymity provided by the internet. Often using as many as two or three words at a time. Sometimes even four.

You can't string a coherent thought together. You rely on proof by assertion. You hint that everyone else is the one who doesn't know what they're talking about when it's obvious you're the one who doesn't.

12. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I've been to a lot of the venues you've listed. In most cases, "not suitable" does mean "not an option."

But the larger point is that Boston will never get behind a team that's considered minor league. They have a hard enough time getting behind teams that are major league but which play sports that are considered minor league.

You just won't convince Boston fans, who are used to some of the best fan experiences in sports, to go to even a very serviceable stadium to watch a minor league team. Not as anything but a one-off novelty.

13. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Except for the Breakers and the Cannons, all the other minor league teams are failures.

Remind me again of the other minor league teams that have played recently in Boston proper? :)

14. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I can't believe this got buried for me. I'd bet a paycheck somebody typed "field" while hovering over Boston on Google Maps.

12/15 of those places listed are a joke and who exactly is going to let a team come in and have their property (expanded)?. Nickerson Field has horrible views from the current stands, and BU dorms are right next to it. I don't think there is even a fence anymore. The only place I think a temporary home could exist without it being laughable is Harvard Stadium. It is tight and traps sound well off of the concrete. The knock against it is the USSF now thinks it to be too small, although they played olympic games there in 1984. That leaves Alumni Field which has about 2-3 less yards of room on each side of the football field than Harvard Stadium does. Lastly, Google needs to update. Ohriri Field isn't where Harvard has their soccer games anymore. They built a tiny soccer/lacrosse fieldturf stadium where they had a USOC match this year. And no, Harvard isn't going to let a NASL team come in and build.

Earlier in this thread, I stated reasons why I think NASL could work in Boston. They are predicated on 1.) the demographics of the city, particularly those without private transportation and 2.) the pain it is to drive out to Foxborough, even if you have a car. Some have disagreed with my assessment, but some of their points are valid. You can't start a team in the Boston market in the same way NASL teams are launching, even the ones we all think are "doing it the right way". For the most part, those teams have the market to themselves.

NASL Boston would have to have legit owners with connections looking to make a splash. They would also need to be all up in everyone's face on how the Revs play in the sticks and their team plays in and represents the city. All hope of a MLS stadium in the city would have to have died, and somehow a 5-10k stadium deal would have to be reached (unsure how much easier it would be than a 20k MLS stadium) before they even kicked a ball in a competitive match. Because anything less than that would be swallowed up by the fantastic pro sports scene Boston enjoys.

15. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    With the way the team is run I'd imagine they would keep sending their 4+ players to Rochester. That's less hungry mouths to feed.

But you are right that if the Revs move there, the probability for a NASL team in Boston goes from "unlikely" to "never". However, that move would open up the chances for a team in the Providence market.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying there's a chance?

And people should start designing scarves right away?

17. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    :rolleyes:

I'll put you instead on my - see you in a few years list. (Beer on the house).

Oh boy, you are cynical and delusional. Take a chill pill.

Dude, are you expressing your inner feelings? Is this some A&A or anger management course for you? At a boy... release... reach out... feel...

upload_2013-12-3_23-29-13.png

I can respect your opinion, but I certainly would like to prove your affirmation or vision wrong. I'll save you a beer.

What can I say, bliss is in the eye of the beholder.

Well according to you there isn't. According to you a lot of things is a no. Do you wake up everyday saying no no no no no no no? Let me guess, your answer is "no". :p

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    BigSoccer scoreboard 1998-2013

Kenn Tomasch 872
    Random Anonymous Poster 3

He's not always right, but he comes with facts and experience.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Yawn.)

Seen 'em all, from Brushes Sand on down. Same story.

20. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    At least we can agree on that.

21. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    People do like to compare themselves with others, when they should just focus on their own wants and needs.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You sure type a lot of words without actually saying anything.

mng146 and Bluesfan repped this.
  23. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    I guess then you sure read a lot without truly understanding much. :whistling:

24. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It would make more sense for NASL to recreate the Fall River Marksmen, and market hard in Providence, then trying to crack into Boston. I just can't see how NASL Boston is going to generate decent interest in a D2 level team in a very major league city. The ONLY way I can see it happening is if the Fenway Sports Group is the owner, then you get the "influence" of Liverpool and Red Sox fans attention, plus NESN coverage. Honestly, what are the chances of FSG investing in NASL? Pretty slim to none if you ask me.

25. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    A few issues with that:

1. Fall River is a post-industrial craphole with no place to play.
    2. The Revs play about the same distance from Providence and Fall River than Boston and would be a competitor to a NASL team in Prov metro, especially with the youth team crowd.
    3. Traveling out of state is frightening and confusing to an alarming number of Rhode Islanders.
    4. Very, very few people remember the Marksmen.

Personally, I think it would have to be different owners with their own identity, ones with serious Boston real estate holdings wouldn't hurt. There's quite a lot of old money and Boston is a financial/banking hub. Maybe FSG as owners but not managers like they are(were?) with that NASCAR team. But I doubt they would be interested.

kenntomasch repped this.