Could Chivas USA future be in This City?..

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Fiosfan, Jun 24, 2011.

1. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    New name

Chivas Orange County
    Orange County Chivas
    Angelino City FC
    Angelino Chivas FC
    CD Chivas O.C
    O.C Chivas

2. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was about to post about that NPSL (not PDL, but close) team, the winds. I cringe at that name, even though it makes sense.

Also, for an OC team anywhere, beit Sta. Ana, Anaheim, Fullerton, HTB, wherever, I'd much prefer some sort of "Orange County" reference in the title, as there are several cities that compete for attention up there. Santa Ana is the county seat, and apparently largest city. But Anaheim has the sports teams, Disney, etc. Fullerton and Irvine have the public universities, etc.

Again, I'm fine with the Chivas branding. Chivas OC/Orange County, etc.

3. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think I've heard anything about Atlanta and a new outdoor stadium for the Falcons, much less sharing a home with a soccer team. That's news.

The Georgia Dome seems like a fairly new venue. Didn't they recently host a Super Bowl?

4. mvktr2

mvktr2 New Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Mississippi
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly the NFL is pushing ATL to build a new structure. Apparently having told them they won't get the SuperBowl again until they do. REALLY redunkulous when compared with say the SuperDome in NOLA. Plus it's akin to rape what some franchises put a city through, I'm looking at you NFL/MLB/NBA teams!!! Not to mention the price differences on these venues when funded as municipal buildings. For instance in the same year the Univ. of Louiville and the Cincinatti Bengals built new football stadiums. Granted they were of differing quality and size, however the 2 cities are very similar in size, demographics, geography, etc. Thus it's inexplicable that a 45K chair-back seated stadium would cost 65 mil while a 68k stadium with lots of glitz-glamour would cost over 500 mil. Just a rant about stadiums. I'll be happy when the MLS moves to Memphis! ;)

5. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I don't doubt it makes sense, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good name for a soccer club! Kinda like how Toronto Blizzard made sense but still sounds kinda goofy. Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand the concept of naming a soccer team after a prevailing local weather pattern.

6. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Chivas USA moves anywhere, its going to be in the biggest latino markets in the United States. San Diego or Phoenix. Case Closed.

7. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nice Dream, Goof

8. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they won't be moving to Phoenix. I could see San Diego before Phoenix. But, they'll most likely stay in the LA/OC area.

9. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    As would I; however, I suggest we look for happiness elsewhere.

10. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps one place that has been overlooked in the possiblility of a move to Las Vegas. Currently plans are moving for a new 18,000 seat soccer specific stadium, which happens to have a finised target date of 2014. This also happens to be the year that the AEG and Chivas agreement expires.

11. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about nothing with Chivas?! I admit, the USA part of Chivas USA is dreadful, but no matter where the team moves, if it's still named Chivas it's still going to have problems drawing fans. Representing a city is the first step, but naming the team after said city would need to follow. Chivas LA or Chivas Orange County or Chivas whatever is still going to have problems drawing fans that aren't Chivas Guadalajara fans in the first place. And even they don't really care about an MLS Chivas team. But I really would love to see a real Orange County team in MLS. Doubt it'll ever happen, but an Orange County-LA rivalry would be great, like the Dodgers-Angels (before they became LA) and Ducks-Kings.

12. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    ^Which is why it needs to rebrand first and foremost to look and sound American. Enough pandering to the Mexicans please. They are not averse to following American sounding teams if they grow up with them.

Flex Buffchest repped this.
  13. Fhurion

Fhurion Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Or better yet re-brand so you don't pigeon-hole your fanbase to only those who support CD Guadalajara. Sure it's a big club, but no doubt there are plenty of Atlas or Club America fans in the LA area that won't support Chivas on principle alone.

14. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Not a great name for newspaper headlines...

"Henry, Red Bulls Break Winds"

AmeriSnob repped this.
  15. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    CF Califas Essurf

16. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about downtown LA?
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2012/10/22/watch-commissioner-garber-new-la-downtown-stadium

17. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
  19. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your wanting something more doesn't make it more likely. There is no rational reason to think that Vergara is even a little bit likely to do any such thing, and lots of reasons to think that he won't.

Please try to distinguish wishful thinking from the regular kind from now on.

krudmonk repped this.
  20. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intriguing. o_O

That could be a double-edged sword, though. It has the potential to be a disaster in one of two ways:

1) Being a stone's throw from Downtown, it could siphon fans from the Galaxy, especially if they have a bad year (like the beginning of this year) and Chivas actually gets good.

2) If Chivas doesn't take off, then people will wonder why they built a mini-stadium right by the Coliseum.

21. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that the downtown stadium idea is purely a smokescreen. With the annoucement that Chivas USA soccer operations will be ran from Mexico it has become very clear that Vergara is buying time to sell the club. The real story in I believe, he is waiting till the 20 franchise is granted to New York City. This will increase the value of the club, especially since the league is being unclear about future expansion past 20. It is already known that Orlando City wants in by 2015. So putting two and two together here is the senario I envision. The league grants NY2 for an expansion fee near 100M, then Vergarea sells Chivas USA to Phil Rawlins's group in Orlando for between 50-60M. Thus a team he orginally paid 10M adding in 20M in additional losts for the past 10 years, he still comes out ahead 20-30M on his investment.

SeaFan77 repped this.
  22. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think Vergara is getting pressure from 17 different directions to sell (Kraft doesn't care.) It's an amazing feat of incompetence to have a "half-full half-full" stadium in LA in the current pro-soccer environment. And CUSA was successful in the beginning, they've just failed miserably at keeping up with the Galaxy, or league for that matter.

At this point they're better off moving to Vegas and doing a full rebrand.

23. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will believe it when I see it. Its more likely that Vergara will sell the club to another group which will relocate them to somewhere like St. Louis.[/quote]

speaking of STL
    all of a sudden the dead stadium search has new life
    Humm!!!!

http://nextstl.com/downtown/major-league-soccer-stadium-may-be-part-of-new-union-station-vision

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or not. Looks like they're in LA for the long haul.

25. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honesty think they're pricing the team. And trying to get San Antonio to sweeten the pot.