Cosmos Player Thread

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by 4door, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Not cut. He is still signed to a long term deal. They are trying to find a place to dump him in MLS or Europe.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Renken was a trialist at Philly but they cut him. Maybe he has a contract with MLS still I don't know that.

3. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Oh, I thought you were talking about Adu. Renken is free. Injuries pretty have much ruined his career though.

4. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The highest profile D2 club would be a great place to try to resurrect it. He's not seeing the field in MLS. Cosmos could end up with a good prospect to turn for a profit. Low risk, high reward for both.

5. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  6. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    ^ Given that MLSsoccer.com keeps doing articles about the Cosmos, I would say there isn't much of a war there like you want to believe. Or they don't take them that seriously.

Don't you have the NASL commish saying that they intend to challenge MLS for D1? So why would the league's website ever give the NASL any coverage? Oh right. You just projected your own opinion onto his words and he never said any of that. When MLS thinks the NASL is not a good egg, you'll know it.

7. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^
    That's a nice bait job. I think I'll stick to the thread topic. Feel free to start a thread about me if that's what interests you.

8. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a known roster for the Cosmos yet?

9. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    So far they have signed the following players and coaches. In December they stated they wanted a full staff and 8-10 players signed this winter and they would be doing the majority of signings, including bigger ones in summer.

Staff:

HC - Giovanni Savarese
    AC - Carlos Llamosa
    AC - Aleko Eskandarian
    GKC- Guillermo Valencia

Players:

Carlos Mendes D (Colombus Crew)
    Hunter Freeman D (Colorado Rapids)
    Kyle Reynish GK (Real Salt Lake)
    Kory Veeder D (Colombus Crew)
    Dane Murphy M (Cosmos U-23)
    Ayoze M (Sportng Gijon)
    Stefan Dimitrov F (Cosmos U-23)

brentgoulet and soccersubjectively repped this.
  10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    brentgoulet repped this.
  11. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am an MLS fan who doesn't know much about NASL admittedly, but this seems like a pretty decent foundation for a first year squad doesn't it?

12. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By D2 standards, yes, they'll have a pretty decent team. Probably one of the favorites, but I'd still put them behind Minnesota.

13. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    david lopez looks like the first really promising signing ... only 20 ... already a full NT for Guatemala ... he could be a real find.

the rest are pretty good for a D2 team but nothing exciting ... i mean if Peri Marosevic can't catch on at TFC then he really isn't MLS quality ... he might be good for D2 tho.

14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on! It's TFC! If they knew from quality, they wouldn't suck. ;)

Also, it's always possible that a player isn't really a fit with one team, moves to another where he's a better fit and really blossoms.

I think (and I could be wrong) that most D2 teams have at least one or two (or more players) who are MLS quality, but each D2 team also fills half or more of their staring eleven with guys who can't make it in MLS. Maybe they are just a step too slow, or their decision making is a second or two too slow. The guys in D2 aren't bad, and most D2 games that I saw were pretty good quality.

So we'll see. Maybe the NeoCosmos sign a couple of really good players, or some of their guys develop into really good players. And you can have a team that is more than the sum of it's parts too.

Good Luck!

- Mark

15. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It'll be interesting to see how the Cristiano Ronaldo look alike Peri Marosevic performs for the Cosmos. I saw flashes of his skill and speed with TFC where he had good moments but he played inconsistently.

16. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's still a young player. I like the idea of taking chances on former hot MLS prospects to see if they can find their feet in D2, while supplementing them with fringe MLS veterans.

17. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin

18. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Stefan Dimitrov goes on loan to the Strikers for the spring season :

http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=4161

I'd like to see Peri Marocevic go on loan for the spring season as well, and I expect a few more Cosmos players will be loaned out for spring.

19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Joseph Nane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Nane
    Joseph Nane Fils Eone (born March 12, 1987 in Yaoundé) is a Cameroonian footballer who currently plays for New York Cosmos in the North American Soccer ...

20. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two more typical NASL signings. They'll be a strong team, but for all the talk of big names, these certainly don't live up to that.