Cosmos NEW Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by penske, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a for NYCFC. They are establishing a training ground out there and there was rumors of discussions about a temp stadium in that area. Yonkers mayor is publicly saying come here guys we are a willing partner.

Its not something the Cosmos should entertain. Its essentially playing at Hofstra but in a local community that is far and away from where you have built your relationships in LI and outer boroughs.

2. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the idea is to get it built and 25,000 is the number to get to top flight one day. Besides it's never gone to get cheaper to do then the present.

Onionsack repped this.
  3. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC in Yonkers...oh the irony.

4. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the deal breaker for NYC FC in the Bronx is that they are asking for public funding. If they did like the Cosmos and privately funded it would go a long way. No one wants to give $200m in funding to one of the richest men in the world. Mansour can find change in his couch to pay that if he wants too. It would be silly for them to end up in Yonkers over it.

5. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    If this stadium gets built they need to join MLS. Brand new 25,000 seat soccer stadium on the Queens border for a New York team to call home. With the brand that is the New York Cosmos, the team in MLS could really take off!

Teams (San Antonio, Minnesota) want to leave NASL and join MLS not the other way around. Teams (Orlando, Sacramento) want to leave USL Pro and join MLS not the other way around.

6. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be a long time before MLS entertains a third NY team. It's easily justifiable based on market size especially if the Cosmos end up at Belmont and NYC FC ends up in the Bronx or Yonkers. Minnesota, San Antonio, Indy and Sacramento are all likely to move up first. If NY2 was franchise #20, I wouldn't expect NY3 until #30 unless the Cosmos somehow buy out another franchise and relocate it.

7. BuckheadRyan

BuckheadRyan New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It would be hard to believe MLS is not in the cards if the new stadium gets built. Garber loves stadiums too much and he loves Queens too much. I am one Cosmos fan rooting for it.

8. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    I will really hate to see the Cosmos in the MLS, but that's just me. I'm a free=market guy.

BTW MLS is setting themselves up for a nice anti=trust lawsuit. They are doing a lot to stifle the growth of NASL

San Diego Socker repped this.
  9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly are they doing to stifle NASL?

10. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS isn't doing anything to intentionally stifle NASL. MLS should appreciate NASL as an incubator of potential expansion franchises: Atlanta, Minnesota, San Antonio, Indianapolis. MLS should cooperate with NASL as it offers a better standard of competition than USL Pro for MLS's more advanced prospects.

Sam U El and brentgoulet repped this.
  12. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Another decision iminent on Stadium went by without a thud. What going w/ ESDC & this Stdium? With upcoming Belmont Stake, one would think some words would be issued?

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a "learn=from history guy," apparently.

Also, don't worry. You probably won't have to hate any such thing.

Yeah, like what?

Is the NASL growing? It had eight teams. It has ten now, with more coming. Peterson says they're on their way to more. So....where is the stifling happening, exactly?

Did they tell the guy in Oklahoma City to jump to the USL Pro group? Did they deliberately sabotage the Virginia thing? Are they kidnapping the people who would otherwise go to Ottawa games but who are currently not?

MLS put a team in Atlanta. Which would be...you know, the free market at work.

Forget it. You're waaaaaaaaay too dumb.

xbhaskarx, Zoidberg and FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  14. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I got to say, I'm not too optimistic about this proposal getting the thumbs up, too much time has elapsed.
    I hope I'm wrong but it can't be good for us.

15. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Do you always have to berate people to get your point across? Try a different approach and you won't come across like the horses a** you are.

16. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    If you call Kenn a horses ass than you better call jspech and onionsack horses asses also.

Works both ways.

17. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The drop in attendance certainly hasn't helped, either

nanoGVSP repped this.
  18. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Killed any momentum.

Politics will support a winner. Low attendance for a club stuck in D2 for the foreseeable future is not an easy cause to support....even if it is privately funded.

19. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    All I hear are Haters. Haters will always be committed.

20. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it'd be a much easier sell if they talked about building in phases. There's going to be little support for a 25,000 seat stadium for a team drawing 3,000 people.

21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    #371 Zoidberg, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    Using the word hater basically guarantees you are under 14 showing your inexperience in these matters.

You used the same word when dozens of folks explained the common sense aspects of this, whom you ignored and derided, and now ironically you seem to be now embracing some of what was pointed out to you.

Do you hate others or yourself for being so blind to something this mind numbingly obvious, and you need to lash out now in some sort of childish defense mechanism to feel better about yourself?

Best part of the net....your words from the past are there to be read.

It doesn't bode well for your understanding of how things work like Kenn pointed out.

Also, as has been discussed while hating. Building in stages won't fly with politicians who have other larger guaranteed projects in the wings for a plot of land like that. Makes little sense financially, and politically their opponents would have a field day.

Maybe you should go back and read from a year or two ago, and understand your errors, instead of being unable to face them and be angry about your own shortcomings.

Hater.....the word of the immature and those who can't come to terms with themselves, so lash out at others.

22. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Certainly getting a stadium built in NYC or even near the 5 Boro's has never been an easy thing, ask the NFL Giants and Jets.
    The Cosmos stadium however will take up a little less space and be part of some redevolpment near the racetrack area so evetnually I cannot not see it not happening.
    The Cosmos themselves need to make a better presence in the NYC area starting with a local sports or over air network in NYC.
    We saw over the summer that emirates is more than just a Jersey Sponsor. And as the Cosmos had their tour oversees at using Emirates to give them top training ground and top friendlies. For other Emirates sponsored teams the NY Cosmos field will likley become their US hub in which some of their many top clubs from all over the world can call home base for training while on a US tour.

23. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best thing the Cosmos could do to spread their brand in NYC is start and academy. All those kids will become Cosmos fans, along with their family and friends and it spreads from there.

24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Didn't they have an academy at one time?

25. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Even 2 if I remember well, Cosmos East (Gottschee) and Cosmos West (LAFC). But that was the Kemsley Cosmos, not the Sela Cosmos