Cosmos NEW Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by penske, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Hmmm....it seems you left a huge part of the NYFC proposal out. Not as simple as you just made it out to be and what is involved.
    It also isn't going to be the anywhere near the final proposal. It's easy to spin numbers anyway you want for your own sake.....homie. Sorry, I'm not a kid...I actually do deals bigger than these and have for 20 years. I might not get caught up in every little facet of what each one says because this in an interest of mine and not an obsession...then again I know that doesn't matter as much, the PR written word, as what it takes to actually get them done. Two different things whether you understand that or not is a different question.

If the NYC Cosmos proposal is what you say it is, and we still haven't heard a peep...that should tell you something.
    There is a momentum, buzz, and back and forth that would occur, and it would be impossible to hide it.
    What you have right now is a file on a desk that has been handed in and seems to just be sitting there.
    Until details, logistics, media, discussion, etc starts happening you have a cold case homie....

....or do you really think that one day a story will just pop up saying Stadium Approved!

Until then I'll just be happy knowing how well I've done in life and just accept that a kid on BS has got it down.

Proposals are a dime a dozen....movement on a proposal is something different.

2. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shoot...am I the only person on BigSoccer that isn't the most successful person alive?

:thumbsup:

HailtotheKing, Prosoccercdn and nanoGVSP repped this.
  3. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    U asked for facts and they give u their resume.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At any of the events this week, did the Cosmos talk about the stadium at all?

5. MattND28

MattND28 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Talked about the stadium today on Soccer Morning podcast. Still seems full steam ahead, I'm not sure who they were interviewing but it was someone within management of the team.

Guy was slamming the other proposals, talking up theirs, but did say they do have other ideas in mind if this doesn't work out.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So not full steam ahead. Until they get approval they're at a complete standstill.

7. MattND28

MattND28 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    I meant full steam behind the current proposal but yes, it is still in need of approval.

8. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silence + Patience = Results

9. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Good news, still I'm not counting my chickens yet. There has been some opposition and Im sure there are politics involved, coupled with the fact that the NASL is a "new" league.
    On the other hand one can't help but think about the ramifications if it does come to fruition for us. I would be amazing.

11. BuckheadRyan

BuckheadRyan New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Good to hear an update, my gut says 70% chance this gets approved. Would be amazing for the cosmos, NASL, US Soccer, and perhaps MLS down the road.

12. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Didn't we have this same update in August?

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and I'll say that that it's probably at 90% that it doesn't get approved

14. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notice the recent description of what is being built at Elmont Crossings now includes a community center, which is what one opposition politician wanted instead. Smells of compromise.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Physician, heal thyself.

16. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poster suggests Man City USA should try to swoop in and take the Belmont site out from the Cosmos: https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...f-their-iconic-symbols.2001409/#post-29750566

Honestly if their billionaire Sheik wasn't trying to squeeze money out of New York City and just paid for the Stadium they could make the Bronx happen. There was even that plot of land up for bid in Bronx near a hospital they could have bid on.

20. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    +1

21. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The RFP is closed so the only way they could even get in on the biding is to have the current proposals all rejected and a new RFP open. Even if that happened, what is the point for NYCFC? It would place them outside of NYC proper just as playing in Westechester Co. would and additionally they would just be duplicating bids in Belmont for soccer stadiums. Cosmos already have a near impossible deal (as far as stadiums go) to beat, and they are the organization with the political support from the state and local lawmakers. NYCFC would need to flip those people to even have a snowballs chance of beating Cosmos to a bid award.

The poster who suggested that has no clue how this all works.

22. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The Cosmos also have their own Billion dollar business sponsor Emirates air backing them. I know there was quaestionon how much interest or help Emirates would give the the Cosmos I think the two week pre season campe in the United Emirates all on the Emirates Air $$$ and they look to be pretty involved.

23. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  24. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    State budget is supposed to be due today. If any political favors where needed to get the stadium done in Albany, today is probably the big day for that to happen. Hopefully we will get some news soon.

25. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #325 AmeriSnob, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014