Cosmos Name Nike As Team's Official Kit Supplier

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by raymondleone, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    The attached jersey designs have been created by Nike in conjunction with the Cosmos
    “Nike Soccer is proud and honored to partner with the New York Cosmos to provide innovative performance and training products to the coaches and players of the Club,” Nike Soccer’s General Manager for North America, Mark Seneker said.
    “Es un honor y un orgullo para Nike Soccer el poder colaborar y brindar a Los Cosmos de Nueva York productos innovadores para los entrenadores y jugadores del equipo.” Dijo el Director de Marketing de Soccer en Nike, Mark Seneker.
    [​IMG]

eclipse02 repped this.
  2. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Pretty basic. With all the ragging I do on the Cosmos, the Umbro shirts were a modern classic and well done. Too bad, they won't wear those in an actual league. If you are trying to recreate the mythos of the old club, that Umbro shirt was a good costume for them to wear. This Nike effort is pretty pedestrian, but then again, they don't have pictures, just drawings.

3. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    Nike owns Umbro and they have been phasing out Umbro for most of their soccer properties, so it wasn't a Cosmos decision to leave Umbro. Most of us rather be Umbro but with Nike in charge that is how it goes. That said Nike being involved in NASL is a big deal, i think that makes 2 teams now, with San Antonio.

4. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any speculation of if they will have a sponsor or not?

5. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    Told its an announcement coming up in the coming couple weeks or so, but yes they have lined up a sponsor.

6. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm cool, Im going to go out on a limb and say its probably a local sponsor.

7. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Incorrect. Nike sold off Umbro to Iconix last year http://www.iconixbrand.com/
    Since you just make stuff up, regardless of facts, who knows whose decision it was to move from Umbro to Nike.
    Once again, Nike is not in charge of Umbro.
    Nike being involved with the NASL isn't a big deal really. There are teams in my beer league who wear Nike, does that mean that it is a big deal for Nike to be involved in my six a side league? Of course not.

If Nike was designing custom merchandise (which we don't know if that is the case, since we only have drawings at this point) or were paying the mighty Cosmos for the privilege of providing gear to them, THAT would be a big deal.

kenntomasch repped this.
  8. modernfootball

Apr 15, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    --other--
  9. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, does Emirates fly to New York or any other part of the this country for that matter? Don't recall ever seeing any at the airports I've been at.

10. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    There is this thing called the internet.......

They serve eight North American cities. New York is one of them.

11. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
  12. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used it by asking here since I didn't feel like looking it up. :D Lol. Thanks though. :thumbsup:

13. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    If they are paying more than four million a year to be on the Cosmos shirt, then Emirates is dumber than well,

quite a few regular posters in this forum.:p

15. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    like Real Madrid ;)

[​IMG]

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One discussion I've seen on this was debating if Emirates was paying the Cosmos or if the Cosmos were paying Emirates to have Fly Emirates on the jerseys. Has anyone heard that?

MuzzaFC repped this.
  17. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    What would be the point of a team paying someone to be on their shirt? Makes zero sense..

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The argument line went something along the lines of Cosmos trying buy credibility and prestige. I didn't say it was true, just an interesting spin.

Its not that crazy. Arsenal, Real Madrid, Hamburg, PSG, AC Milan, D2 NASL NY Cosmos. One of these things is not like the other.

Good for Cosmos if its a big spending sponsor, legitimacy.

19. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It just doesn't pass the common sense test. The only people crazy enough to do something like that are the very dolts who think that the world is going to beat a path to the Cosmos' bank account to compensate them for tv rights, sponsorships, etc.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I think the people who wrote that are Cosmos unbelievers. They don't believe Emirates would spend good money on the Cosmos.

21. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it doesn't make sense to pay big $$$$ for a jersey sponsorship deal for a minor league soccer team in the US.

22. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    True enough. The Rochester Rhinos have Bimbo Bakeries as a jersey sponsor, who also sponsor seven other clubs (among them; Chivas de Guadalajara, Monterrey, and the Philadelphia Union). I think it's safe to say Bimbo didn't exactly back up the Brinks truck to get the Rhinos on board.

Bluesfan repped this.
  23. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. It doesn't mean that the Cosmos won't get paid, I'd just be surprised if it's big money.

24. MuzzaFC

MuzzaFC Member

Nov 6, 2011
    The MLS is littered with pyramid schemes and local recycling companies as jersey sponsors, I doubt they are getting much.

25. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:

That's ridiculous...whoever started that should be kicked in the nuts, these are guys savvy enough to know the MLS deal was a fool's bargain...as if they would pay someone else to sponsor their kit. I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn if you believe that/