Cosmos GM & Coach News ... Erik Stover is COO & Gio is coach

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by Mr.Smartypants, Oct 1, 2012.

1. IAMAMNOTPELE

IAMAMNOTPELE Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Sorry, but what real coaching experience has he had?

I know he coahed the U23's for the Man U game (but lets not talk about that!)

I know he was a great player.............but that does not make him a great coach

What coaching experience does he have in the UK, Europe or more importantly, the US

(Other than the manager of the French Beach soccer team :eek:)

EC was a great player, but honestly, slightly "nuts" in my opinion and not what you would want for a new start D2 Cosmos

Just my opinion :)

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't serious.

He was jokingly asking why no one had advocated for Cantona.

3. IAMAMNOTPELE

IAMAMNOTPELE Member

Nov 5, 2011
    PHEW!!!!!! :D

I will calm down then :)

4. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio is still involved - I am not sure what he is doing at this point but he is still there.

5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they can't say it was because he has no coaching experience.

7. modernfootball

Apr 15, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    --other--
    Thought Wynalda was the perfect man for the job and it's frustrating to them turn him down. I hope they're in talks with someone special.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, what?

9. modernfootball

Apr 15, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    --other--
    He loves the Cosmos and New York, he's had playing experience in both America and Europe and understands both cultures very well, he took an amateur team to the fourth round of the Open Cup beating a PDL, USL and MLS team. Imagine what he could do with a pro team with some money. On top of that he had a very successful coaching experience in NASL.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link?

We know the former...link on the latter?

Yes, he did. That seems to be what a lot of fans have emphasized. But that, in and of itself, isn't enough.

Yes, imagine.

No, go ahead, imagine.

Then imagine what actual soccer coaches with experience could do with a pro team with some money. Or what they've actually done. There's no guarantee either way. If winning with amateur teams was an indicator of success with pro teams, Schellas Hyndman wouldn't be watching the MLS Cup Playoffs on TV.

Things you've mentioned put Wynalda in the initial conversation. They don't make him "the perfect candidate." The perfect candidate has a hell of a lot more experience than that. You're thinking on a very superficial level.

If by "very successful," you mean "3-3-1," sure.

11. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
  12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because HE'S THE PERFECT CANDIDATE! There are no other candidates who are AS PERFECT AS HIM!

13. modernfootball

Apr 15, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    --other--
    He wore a cosmos shirt on the last episode of FFF and called them something along the lines of"greatest team in this history of US". All while red bulls fans made chants about his wife and harkes. He also said on twitter that being the Cosmos coach would be a dream come true. On his podcast he mentioned a few times about how much he loved new york when he lived here.
    Very well. The perfect candidate is none other than Jose Mourhino! However, I don't belive this is a perfect world.
    Yes, considering he was an interim coach that showed up late in the season to a team that was 1-8-5

SoccerPrime repped this.
  14. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    Its true, he's been spotted here in NY wearin Cosmos gear and once told a crowd of folks in Nevada Smith a couple years back in between a break on a live broadcast that he supports the Cosmos and the efforts to bring them back. I was there so i can vouch for at least his stated beliefs.

He wouldn't be my first choice of REALISTIC coaches for the job, but i wouldn't have been upset if it was him. Certainly can do much much worse...like that stupid Italian former Lazio coach rumor from a few weeks ago.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Wynald’s reply was, “not over yet.”
    Not over yet… what does this mean?
    Are talks between Wynalda and the New York Cosmos still going on? Did the other candidates fail miserably that Wynalda’s been granted a second interview? Who knows? In today’s TMZesque style of journalism, I have no idea what I’m covering because I don’t have confirmation from either side. All I’m writing about is three little words, “Not Over Yet.”

17. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it could be said that he has about 2-3 years of MLS exec club experience, so thats a plus. The article mentions him helping to recruit Henry. If true, that can be a big help. I also think his experience getting RB Arena built should help the Cosmos with their stadium future plans.

Overall probably a good sign, I think. Now, who is the head coach...

20. blueballs69

blueballs69 Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Gio S.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if Cosmos are following a script, it's either Gio or Hans Backe after tonight.

22. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I don't see how much he helps since MLS is handling the stadium plans.