Cosmos GM & Coach News ... Erik Stover is COO & Gio is coach

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by Mr.Smartypants, Oct 1, 2012.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team president, maybe. Depends on what you want your GM to do...is it business guy or technical director/player personnel type guy?

But he's a New York guy. They could very well have been impressed with him and offered him a chance to move back and be in on this. Or he could be legitimately "retiring" as the story said. I don't know exactly how old he is, but he had a 30+ year career in TV and must be in his late 50s at least.

2. MuzzaFC

MuzzaFC Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Downs stepping down has me pretty worried. I always thought he was in it for the long haul.

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Don't like it neither :(

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worried about what? That the league is on shaky ground and so he bailed?

He has only been on the job 556 days, by my count, but the guy who gets the thing up and running doesn't always stick around for the next phase. And he and his wife did move from NY to Miami to do this, perhaps they really did just want to go back to NY. Or perhaps the Cosmos poached him.

But I wouldn't be "pretty worried." Not yet. There would have to be other indications of instability or financial distress before I'd be "pretty worried." If they go hire someone who has a track record and ability and charisma and name recognition, it would tend to lend credence to the idea that they're not under pressure.

5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Or the NASL coach of the year

News

Ricky Hill Named NASL Coach of the Year
    Hill led Rowdies to 2nd Place Regular Season Finish

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh please oh please oh please oh please.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cosmos could probably pay Hill more than the Rowdies do. How long is Ricky's contract with Tampa?

And of course, there is a precedent of Rowdies coaches going to Cosmos. LOL

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking Ricky Hill isn't exactly the level of coach Cosmos country is thinking of.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cosmos Country?

They want Sir Alex Ferguson. Or maybe settle for Jose Mourinho.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even the most rational ones (if there is such a thing) would probably not deem Ricky Hill - who was nowhere two years ago - to be up to their standards. It's not like this is some emerging managerial talent who's going to be on the scene for the next 20 years.

11. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hire him in twenty years. He is like a comet who shines every couple decades.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll be 73 in 20 years!

13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    [​IMG]
    According to some reports, Bruno Giordano has been interviewed for the Head Coach position of the New York Cosmos​
    http://www.ilmattino.it/articolo.php?id=225013&sez (Italian)
    http://www.cittaceleste.it/notizie/lasquadra/notizia/item/2222-giordano-cosmos-aspetto-una-chiamata (Italian)
    “Just got back from the United States two days ago, where I spoke with the president, already coming to an agreement in principle. The project convinced me, now I’m waiting for their call. I’ll leave with my family, happy to have a new football experience in the USA. I feel a strong desire to return to coaching, I think I can give anything in this world.”

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "In 1980 he was arrested for participating in a betting scandal and banned from the Italian championship until 1982."

Is that true?

15. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Totonero 1980 or Totonero was a scandal of match fixing in Italy in 1980 in Italian Serie A and Serie B. It was uncovered on 23 March 1980 by the Guardia di Finanza, after the spalling of two Roman shopkeepers, Alvaro Trinca and Massimo Cruciani, who declared that some Italian football players sold the football-matches for money.
    The principal protagonists in this scandal were Milan, Lazio, Perugia, Bologna, Avellino (Serie A), Taranto and Palermo (Serie B).

16. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hiring someone with no knowledge of American lower division soccer has proven to be a questionable decision at best. Just ask Edmonton. But I am sure the Cosmos fans won't be deterred.

Quite a few foreign coaches have also struggled in MLS.

17. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Colin Clark would be a good coach for the Cosmos, Bruno Giordano ? I don't think so

18. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Eddie Firmani (even at 80) would be a better selection I am afraid than someone like Giordano. I feel bad for Bruno if he is in fact in touch with the Cosmos team. They must have blown so much smoke that he thinks this is a real, can't miss, opportunity. Bet they didn't show him the stadium out on Long Island, just a glitzy tour of Manhattan and their plans to control their player and media rights along with future global soccer domination.

19. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key is to have a manager who has experience with any soccer level in the US, whether that be at the college, youth, national team, or professional level. The new Cosmos are unlikely to spend just as recklessly as Warner was with the old Cosmos. This point is really important and there are only a few foreign coaches who have the understanding of the american game to be successful. One of the few foreign coaches that would be a good fit would be Carlos Queiroz. Even though he didn't last in New York, he also worked with US Soccer for a while. Even though it was a while ago, he probably has what it takes to succeed with the Cosmos in NASL. He would also have the name recognition that they would be looking for, having managed Real Madrid and Portugal. He is currently managing Iran.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given it would make no sense at the D2 level and given it's impossible at the D1 level, you're really going out on a limb there.

21. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Which makes hiring an expensive foreign coach an even more baffling thing to waste your money on. Maybe my assumption that he is expensive is wrong, but I doubt it.

22. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    given his participation in the toto nero match fixing scandal, we know he's not afraid to make an extra buck ;)

23. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i can't believe no one is calling for Eric Cantona to stay on as coach. o_O
    what is he up to these days anyways?

24. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+