Correlation between Population, GDP and other stats and the Ranking of World Cup Teams

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Iranian Monitor, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Okay, I guess we have now covered the entire spectrum of possible influences: from history and tradition, to population, GDP, organization, to athletic attributes in the pool of players, to street football and now even the water in the Uruguay river and some spa in Belgium!

2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #27 Iranian Monitor, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    Okay, lets now imagine we are ranking the teams in 10-20 years from now?

Internationally, which sides will see the greatest improvement in how they rank in this period? Which new sides will be among the elite teams say for the 2026 World cup? Which traditional powers will no longer be among the ranks of the elite? Within the various confederations, what will be the most significant and noteworthy changes in how different teams rank?

Here is my stab at these question, looking into my crystal ball using the various criteria that I think are most relevant.

Internationally, Brazil and Germany should be able to still rank among the elite in football. By 2026, the Americans will, however, very likely have worked themselves up among the top 10 teams in the world as well. They may even rank among the top 5. Spain, Argentina, Italy, France, and England will still be either in the top 10 or thereabouts. But unless things are really messed up politically in Nigeria, they should by then comfortably rank among the top 10 as well. They have all the ingredients, from population, to the atheletic talent base, to history and tradition, and even economic resources, to do much better than they have. While I hope this is not the World Cup that will begin their climb up the ladder, they will be climbing up that ladder pretty soon.

Among Asian teams, Japan and South Korea will solidify their place in football among the top 20 teams in the world, doing better occasionally and worse at other times. But I don't think they have quite the talent base to comfortably join the top 10, although they might. Unless politics intrudes more than it has already, Iran will definitely see itself propelled into a position at least similar to Mexico, carving out a clear place among the top 20 teams in the world for itself. Iran has the ingredients to do much better than it has and its relative success in other team sports it has begun to invest in (basketball, volleyball, etc), along with all the demographic, economic and other factors I have mentioned in this thread, indicate that Iran should rank among the top 20 teams in the world in the near future. In the meantime, however, China should be able to rise enough to join the top teams in Asia and rank among the top 20 in teams in the world as well. In fact, given their population, and the investment they are making into the sport, it is not entirely inconceviable that China might even rise higher and find itself among the top 10 teams, although for whatever reason, the Chinese have never shown that talented in football. India will definitely improve its position within Asian football and rank among the top 10 in Asia, but I don't see them rising above that or making much a mark internationally.

All in all, while football will always reserve a few spots for surprise teams that might occasionally rise and then quickly fall above the rank they would earn on a consistent basis, by 2026, the top 20 internationally to me will include 4 teams from Asia (China, Japan, South Korea, Iran); it will continue to have 2 teams from CONCACAF (USA, Mexico); a few teams (2-3) from Africa, in particular Nigeria. That means that perhaps 10-12 teams will still come from UEFA and CONMEBOL, but I am sure not more than that, while I see Turkey becoming an established power within UEFA by then (top 5-10).

3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Except for Brazil, Italy, Germany and Argentina, such potency goes in cycles. France was on top of the football world from 98 to 06, and look at them the last three international tournaments (since Euro08). Pathetic doesn't even do justice to describe them.

Similarly, Spain, while not as bad as France has been lately, always plateaued at the round of 16 or quarterfinals stage, and there were even some embarrasing first round exits during the 90s and 00s (WC98, Euro04). Since WC06, they had turned it up and reaped the fruits of the determination to stick to their guns. They now rule, although something wicked their way comes :D

I don't think any NT will be on par with the four I mentioned above, perhaps Spain if they continue to go far in tournaments and win some more could join them, but no one else. It takes more than 20 years to build this kind of tradition.

4. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    The thing with Japan and Korea is that the football culture in these two countries is not as strong as the South American countries. Football is not even the most popular sport in these two countries. Hence, them becoming a powerhouse is tough to say. Then again, Germany is not as football-crazy as the South American countries and they have 3 World cup wins with two other finals appearance, which is 1 more than football-crazy Argentina.

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Germany is as football-crazy as any South American nation, and they have two times the population of Argentina on top of that. Argentines, and the rest of South Americans, know how to show more passion than the ice-cold Germans, but that's something different.

Sandinista repped this.
  6. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, they have one more cup caused they robbed us in the 90's final... :thumbsdown:

Nah, don't worry, I don't want to start a discussion about it.

Anyway, what are South Korea and Japan main sports over football? Baseball, Sumo?

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The cycles will begin to show differently in 10-20 years time, although not entirely different. The 4 you mentioned might still be considered among the elite, although its quite conceivable that one or 2 of them will find themselves slowly at a lower position (among the top 10-15 still, but not higher).

In my mind, however, UEFA will see its share of top 50 teams drop dramatically. This is clear to me. Similarly, I think CONMEBOL's 2nd tier will find themselves rank somewhat lower than they rank now. Perhaps as many as half of the teams in the top 20 will NOT be from UEFA and CONMEBOL, whereas today if you look at FIFA's rankings there are only 2 teams from outside of UEFA and CONMEBOL in the list of the top 20 teams in the world. (The same is true with ELO and SPI as well).

8. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Then what are your thoughts on 1986? I remembered Maradona saying that Argentina should win over England as they were the better team despite the hand of god, in 1990, Germany were by far the better team. It was an extremely one-sided final, don"t you think Germany should have won? And also, from what I saw, there was actually contact between Klinnsman and that Argentinian defender.
    Anyway, both countries' main sport are baseball. Club football does not enjoy much popularity over there, the NT is very popular though.

9. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah dude, maybe Germany played better (i don't know about by far better, in any case i think Argentina played worse, it wasn't like the match against Brazil when they had like 3 shots on the posts) but it's just that having Goycochea as goalkeeper we were almost sure to have won it would it came to penalties, so it sucked. Anyway, it's known that that Argentina team played awful football (to the eye), but so have so many other WC winners...

On the other subject, I don't understand how the land of Captain Tsubasa prefers baseball over football...

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I see us quickly descend into the past, while I was hoping we can look at the future in this thread!

For me, the so-called "modern era" in football which began with say the 1994 or 1998 World Cup, is entering its final stages. This World Cup, in Brazil, may very well be the last one in this stage, and a fitting one at that, which saw a continuation of the dominance of the traditional powers and CONMEBOL/UEFA in football while the lesser confederations where merely planting the seeds for their future emergence as serious powers in football to be reckoned with. Thus, while the "modern era" coincided with the emergence, economically, of various regions to positions of parity or near parity with Europe, and also saw the inauguration of professional football leagues around the world (MLS, J-League, Chinese super league, Iran's pro league etc), the new era will see these developments translate to more lasting results on the football field.

For me, this new era will begin with the 2018 World Cup as a transitional one but by 2022 and 2026, there will be a new order in world football.

11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    To add to what I had posted, I wouldn't be suprised if the list of top 20 teams before World Cup 2026 looked a lot more like the one below than the one now:

1- Brazil
    2- Nigeria
    3- USA
    4- Germany
    5- France
    6- Argentina
    7- England
    8- Mexico
    9- Italy
    10-Spain
    11- Japan
    12- Turkey
    13- South Korea
    14- Russia
    15- Iran
    16- China
    17- South Africa
    18-Colombia
    19-Australia
    20-Egypt

12. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #37 Rickdog, Feb 12, 2014
    You wish it will.

Very likely that if whomever catches up with the top teams, by 2026 which is only next 12 years from now, it will be precisely these other Conmebol teams, whom already achieved lots of progress lately (last 15 years), beating more frequently top tier teams than before. Maybe we might see some more african teams among the top ranked, but Asian teams will continue being at the back of the ranks, although a bit closer than now.

Progress and development in world football, as always, sees the continuity of a tendency, and deep changes in it may only happen after 2 or 3 generations, which means maybe 30 or 40 years in time. In this regard, 12 years in football, is almost as much as nothing.

Btw, where did you put Ghana in your 12 years from now ranking, whom maybe has been the team that most progress has achieved in the whole world the last 10 years ?
    And China !!!!, among them, what have they done till now, to be there ?

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    As I have said, I consider we are at the latter stages of an era in football and after a short transition, we will enter a new era soon. By 2026 I think the new era will take shape and a new order will emerge that will see an African team like Nigeria propel itself among the top teams in the world, while there will be nearly half a dozen teams from the AFC in the top 20 and I see both the US and Mexico move up a full grade and join the top 10.

You are entitled, of course, to both predict and wish otherwise, but my prognosis is based mostly on the factors I have discussed in this thread: the confluence of population, GDP, development of football leagues, and in the case of African teams, sheer athletic talent, catching up with the historical advantages enjoyed by CONMEBOL and UEFA.

14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well, sorry to say, but your stats refered to GDP, development, population and all that stuff has been discused thoroughly not only by you, but many others before during the last 50 years or maybe more, and since then nothing related to any of these things have showed anything to back up those theories.

Till now, the only teams that have made any real progress, have been those who have achieved to insert football deep within their traditions and culture, where size or money hasn't have anything to do with nothing.

The rest is just your wishfull thinking and nothing more than that.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The future hasn't arrived and you are entitled to think as you wish. But when you say there hasn't been any correlation in the past between these factors and success in the game, lets take the issue step by step and see if you can follow.

First, it is obvious that you can have a large population and the biggest GDP and, yet, if very few people pay attention to football in your country, you aren't going to excel in the sport. Just because the US had a large population and a huge GDP didn't mean it would be really any good in football until it began to take more interest in it. Once they start taking such interest, they won't catch up immediately either. It will take its time, with various things marking their progress. What applies to the US applies to others, with the scales adjusted based on the totality of factors at issue.

Second, one of the main instruments that will help emphasize the differences in population and GDP into building both a better organization and developing a wider base of talent, is having a strong professional league. Of course, the latter requires that their be a population who is interested in the sport but the two can sometimes work hand in hand. There is also a frame which is required to pass before the fruits of a professional league begin to have a noticeable impact internationally. Until very recently (the 1990s), however, outside of Europe, there were few countries with established professional leagues. That began changing only recently, and the impact of that change will not be immediate but will take some time. The MLS, the J-League, the K-League, the Chinese Super League, as well as many others which were established only over the past 20 years or thereabouts, will have their ups and downs and but overtime they will produce a plethora of good players and coaches who will add a lot to the football abilities of these countries. How long will that take? We are seeing the benefits already, but its a process and what is already evident will clearly be even more evident in 10-15 years. The records from a past that was based on how countries with no professional football leagues and without the other structures that had developed in countries with some tradition in the game, is not going to repeat itself quite the same way.

Finally, while S.America enjoys 2-3 comparative advantages, specifically as it relates to history, tradition, passion for the game, and the fact that its members all play one another regularly and improve by playing even the best teams in world regularly in that process, overtime those advantages don't appear sustainable to make as a much of a difference for the smaller S.A countries. What is even more clear to me, however, is that Europe (with its aging population and declining comparative advantage in organizational and financial issues) will no longer have a such dominant position when it comes to the number of countries it can boast among the top 50 in football.

16. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #41 MrOranjeBal, Feb 12, 2014
    @nr 36: Your crystal ball must have an optical flaw causing a blind spot for wavelengths between 590 and 620 nanometer. In other words: where are CIV and the Dutch?

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The Dutch might make the top 20, but they have punched above their weight when you look at the factors I have outlined, and overtime they will probably decline in comparative strength. Teams like CIV might make it up among the top 20 in some periods of time, but they don't have the combined population/GDP and professional league and will have to rely merely on some of the athletic advantages that aren't exclusive to CIV and can very well be found in some other places looking into the future.

18. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    How do Argentinians normally react when someone compares Klinnsman's "dive" to Maradona"s hand of god, assuming Klinnsman really did dive? And do Argentinians have a football rivalry with England, Brazil, Germany, Uruguay and Germany?

For the second part, that is because it was introduced in Japan in the 1800s, Baseball has a long history in Japan. Anway with Japan"s culture, there will never be a dominant sport(huge gap between no.1 sport and the rest) even If it is football in the future. Martial arts(judo, karate,etc. as a whole) is also huge there. Also, was Tsubasa ever popular in Argentina?

19. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    In other words : they are to small to even be considered.

So according to you, pretty likely that Uruguay will be ranked at about 100 or even higher.
    :rolleyes:

(wait till their fans find out what you are saying about them. I certainly don't want to be in your shoes when that happens)
    :p

Sandinista and Pipiolo repped this.
  20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    They can be considered, but I don't think they can reliably be expected to be among the top 20 teams by 2026.

:oops: Seriously, even though I don't like their manners nor their team's reputation for playing dirty, I have to say that they are a remarkable story. In fact, it is precisely their small population which make Uruguay's record so impressive.

21. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You forgot India, by 2026 they will be top 5, oh yah let us not forget the upcoming super power Indonesia, I predict by 2034 they will be top 10.

Rickdog repped this.
  22. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #47 Rickdog, Feb 12, 2014
    Well, up to now, those 2 countries have very embedded football within their traditions and culture. They may not be so big, but comparatively speaking, more of their population practices football at a very high level, than those of China, which may have over 100 times the population and size of both of those countries combined, but their level still remains being very poor. Just for an inmediate future approach you may see what happens in youth level tournaments, to have a clue of what may happen (but still not enough, as it usually happens that European countries most of the time reach their full potential at older ages), but somehow those tournaments can give you a clue of whatever may be coming.
    Nigeria is already there, and not due to its size, but due to its regularity in time, pretty similar to those of CIV and Ghana have done in time, where in Africa they must be the only teams that have achieved that level of development, although other lesser teams have also progressed, they still are behind these 3 giants (figuratively speaking). For the case of Asia the only teams whom have developed something worthy in time has been Japan and South Korea, while others have managed to compete sporadically, most of the times, at the end they keep on placing their teams in last places of each of the few tournaments where they participate in, including among them your mighty "Team melli", so it is unlikely to see any of them (except the 2 mentioned) in the near future (10 years lapse-time), no where near the top 30 teams of the world.

Unfortunately, for everyone it is the same, development of football within nations, comes very slowly in time, and once you reach a good level, you may still need a little bit more, to actually win. But at least you are where things happen, and might have your shot at any given time.
    They don't play dirty (that is just a very lame excuse).

They play very tough, which is completely diferent, an issue that they have excelled over everybody else in the world, despite being a very small country with a very small population. If Uruguay had a size and a population of about 10 times their current numbers, they would probably be the undisputable top 1 team of the world, for decades, as no one is even near to their "garra", an issue admired and reasons why despite their small numbers, they manage to put their players in almost every corner of the world, where they are among the very best players. Now this doesn't happen by accident. They've won their place in history and continue uninterruptedly doing it, since the beginings of professional football till nowdays, where their younger players continue their legacy doing the same. Uruguayan football players, aren't players that anyone should look down at any time, because once you do, they will teach you a lesson or two.
    ;)

guri and Pipiolo repped this.
  23. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Also I think Godzilla will prove to be real by 2050, due to the rise in sea levels he/she will no longer be able to hide.

Such a shame too because Iran will be going into 2050 with back to back WC championships against China and India respectively.

1 last prediction, as this is kinda fun, conmebol and uefa will both fold by 2038, because the overall strength of afc will be too much to handle, they will unit to form confa, the second most powerful confederation next to afc of course.

guri and Pipiolo repped this.
  24. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Actually that will not matter, because no matter how big he may be, in football as he doesn't have no traditions in it, he would still suck
    :D

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Population is obviously important. But GDP? :confused: Not so much. Of course, anyone who lives in extreme poverty won't become a good footballer and won't contribute to football growth in their country in any way. Sad but true. However, beyond that I don't see how GDP is a big factor. (To complicate matters, most of the world's poor people live in middle-income countries).

Anyway, you do know that the exact argument you're making here was made 15-20 years ago, right?