Copa Libertadores 2013

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by JAIME CHILE, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Breno is confirmed to be registered by São Paulo with CBF. Now they have to find a way to allow him to leave Germany. I believe he is under house arrest for his arson conviction.

2. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    F***ing animals...it was sad seeing Luis Montoya in that wheelchair like that.

3. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Group of Death
    Group A
    Barcelona
    Nacional
    Boca Juniors
    Toluca

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh boy, Tigre will return to SP, this time to face Palmeiras.

Group of death for me could be the Fluminense group.

5. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    to me the group of death looks like the one with Corinthians, Tijuana, Millonarios, and San Jose Oruro.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sounds like you're taking "group of death" too literally.

locoxriver repped this.
  7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, for Barcelona, Nacional and Toluca.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    With Carlos Bianchi back there's a good chance that Riquelme will return, and that immediately moves Boca up a notch as a candidate.

They will also look to replace Schiavi, there's talk of Cata Diaz returning, he wants to come back but it's going to be tough financially. Most likely Boca raids another Argentine club to get a decent central defender like possibly Mariano Etcheverria from Tigre or Claudio Perez from Belgrano. Plus Boca added Guillermo Burdisso after the last Libertadores and that's already an improvement over what they had in central defense last time.

There's also talk of repatriating Fernando Gago (maybe a pipe dream) and Burrito Martinez (but every other team wants him too). Bianchi will want to get another top player from somewhere. Plus Boca seems determined not to sell the talented kids, like Sanchez Miño, Colazzo, Paredez and Pol Fernandez, and they should be getting better as they gain experience. And veterans like Ledesma, Erviti, Silva etc also return.

So, overall -if Riquelme returns- Boca should on paper be stronger than last year, except that they'll definitely miss the unpredictability of Mouche up front.

9. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Could group 6 be any weaker? Group 2 makes Palmeiras look like they will even go through lol. Have to say I am a little disappointed in the draw at least it puts brazilian teams in good positions though. I wouldn't say there is even a group of death honestly. Group 1 should be really competitive but no group of death in my opinion.

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  10. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    jajaja well there are some pretty bad groups, thats the only one i found with 3 teams that I can be sure will compete for the two spots.

11. ElMuneco

ElMuneco Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Encinitas, CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    With Huachipato, Caracas, and the winnner of Gremio-LDU?? Not even Flamenguista. To me, there really isn't a so called "Group of Death" in the 2013 Libertadores. But, I think the toughest group could very well be Group 1. Boca, Nacional, Barcelona, and Toluca should be very competitive.

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Here's some visuals:

[​IMG]

13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if Tigres faces Sao Paulo in the 2nd round.. aww mannnn. The laughter.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Why does CONMEBOL insist on putting teams from the same country in the same group? The fact that the 2 biggest clubs in La Paz could wind-up in the same group when Bolivia only has 3 teams in the competition is just absurd!

15. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah it's ridiculous, it can easily be avoided.

LGRod repped this.
  16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nothing will happen cause Sao Paulo picked on an easy target. Tigre's stadium is in a nice suburban town (Victoria) and has rather well behaved fans, at least in relative terms of course. Now if Sao Paulo's aggression had been against some other Argentine team -and I don't mean just the big teams but say for example a tough team like Chacarita, Huracán, Lanus or one of the teams from La Plata, Rosario or Santa Fe, then I can guarantee you there would be hell to pay when they came to Argentina.

locoxriver repped this.
  17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, Nacional has the garra charrua and its history, they'll be tough. Mexican teams are usually complicated plus Toluca has the altitude. Then there's ... hey wait a second, how did Barca get into our group? Yeah with the two best teams in the world, with Messi and possibly Riquelme, you bet it's the group of death. :D

18. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    would never happen, there are rules in place to keep teams from same country in different groups... except for brasil of course because of the numbers of participants

[]__[]

19. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    1a fase (fechas tentativas):

Ida:

24 de enero:
    Defensor Sporting(URU)-Olimpia(PAR)
    Tigre(ARG)-Dep.Anzoátegui(VEN)

25 de enero:
    Sao Paulo(BRA)-Bolívar(BOL)
    Liga Dep.Universitaria de Quito(ECU)-Gremio(BRA)
    León(MÉJ)-Iquique(CHI)

26 de enero:
    Deps.Tolima(COL)-Univ.César Vallejo(PER)

Vuelta:

31 de enero:
    Olimpia(PAR)-Defensor Sporting(URU)
    Dep.Anzoátegui(VEN)-Tigre(ARG)

1 de febrero:
    Gremio(BRA)-Liga Dep.Universitaria de Quito(ECU)
    Bolívar(BOL)-Sao Paulo(BRA)

2 de febrero:
    Iquique(CHI)-León(MÉJ)
    Univ.César Vallejo(PER)-Deps.Tolima(COL)

La fase de grupos va a comenzar el 7 de febrero y va a terminar el 19 de abril.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Tigre wasn't picked on. They attempted to invade São Paulo's locker room, broke off pieces of wood from the wooden lockers in their own locker room, and used them as weapons. They lied through their teeth and chickened out from the second half.

As I posted elsewhere, some of your own countrymen are willing to acknowledge that this crucial narrative has been largely omitted by your country's press. Your own team, CARP, Estudiantes, and Rosario Central have come to Morumbi to face SPFC and they never did what Tigre did.

And while I hope For no such incidents in 2013, if any Brazilian team is maltreated in your country in retaliation for what Tigre got (and deserved), they will do well to remember that there is always the return match.

21. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Tigre and SPFC must first advance from the playoff and get out of the group stages. I would love a rematch as I believe SPFC would advance. Having said that I don't think they will meet.

22. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    What a draw for Grêmio and São Paulo. Grêmio may end up with Fluminense and SPFC with Atlético MG. The top four of the 2012 Brasileirão.

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You miss my point. I'm just saying that Tigre is not known as one of the "tough" teams in terms of barras and it's in a nicer neighborhood so their fans tend to be a bit less "heavy". I'm not arguing about what happened in Sao Paulo. I'm sure that you see the incident one way as a Brazilian, but I can guarantee you that the hinchada of a team like Huracan would see it quite differently.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    There are no such rules in place because if Bolivar get through qualifying they will be placed in the same group as The Strongest.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, I'm pretty sure that there are rules in terms of teams from the same country getting put in the same "pot" so they don't end up in the same group. But the rules don't apply to the teams that play in the first round, and those are the ones that end up getting stuck in the same group with another team from the same country. I agree that it's better to keep that from happening and that's something that Conmebol ought to fix, it shouldn't be too hard to tweak the lottery in order to keep it from happening.