Copa Libertadores 2012 - Cuartos de Final [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by chaski, May 11, 2012.

1. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Nem returns next week.. I still hear that Deco e Fred are questionable.

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Every team has its injuries at this time of the year, and it's hit Boca as hard as Flu. Boca was missing three starters yesterday -Somoza, Ledesma and Silva- and several others in the roster are out, like Colazo, Viatri, Battaglia, Gaona Lugo. I don't know if Battaglia will ever return, his injury is really stubborn, I could see him retiring. But Somoza and Silva have a chance to be back for the return leg next Wednesday. Viatri they say will be on the bench this Sunday. At least Riquelme is healthy and playing, that's a huge plus.

As far as the return leg, I think it could go either way. Of course a key for Fluminense will be to keep Boca from scoring. As long as Boca doesn't score, they have a good chance to turn it around, but just one goal will make it really tough. Boca thrives when the other team has to attack, and struggles more when they stay back and counter. After the red, Flu was smart to stay back and limit the damage to one goal, but unless they get some fortune early, at some point they are going to have to take risks and go for it. That's when the fun will start.

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Boca's players hounded the referee, who showed he needs a spine transplant. He gave in to several of their complaints. In addition, the first yellow card on Carlinhos was questionable, although Carlinhos should have shown better self-control. A very "caseiro" referee indeed.

Credit to Diego Cavalieri for several pivotal saves. If Fluminense ultimately advances, it will be in huge part thanks to his heroics. The team itself did well until the Carlinhos ejection.

In the end, Boca used every artifice it could to secure a crucial home win. The play when Schiavi stomped on a fallen Fluminense player's hand would've made all followers of Bilardismo proud.

RiverGaucho and Catracho_Azul repped this.
  4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It was unfortunate about Carlinhos. The first yellow was a judgement call, but that handball had to be a second yellow, the ref had no choice at that point.

Carlinhos seems to be an important player, and will be missed on the return leg. Do they have a good replacement at left back?

As far as Schiavi stepping on a hand, watching the game I thought that was incidental. Did you get a chance to see some tape that makes it look like it was deliberate?

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The stream I was watching, the narrators were going on and on about a supposed handball in Boca's area that, according to them, should have been a penalty in favour of Flu. The stream was quite bad, so the replays showed as slide shows, and it was hard to see. Was there anything at all?

6. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yes. Clear handball.

Terrible Terrible ref. I was questioning whether he had on a blue jersey underneath. Localista, por favor.

RiverGaucho repped this.
  7. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    my question to Pele is, does Messi lay an egg like that performance against Velez?

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It was a bad ref, but his calls went against both teams. There was a yellow to a Boca player which wasn't even a foul. There was no stomping motion made by Schiavi on that play by the side-line so that was a good call. Pure accident. Although the biggest/worst call was the non-penalty. It could've even been a red card since the ball was headed to an open net. I would feel bad for Flu but their constant diving and feigning injury only left me with a smirk on my face when they lost.

To illustrate how bad the ref was, he couldn't even measure 10 yards for free-kicks. Like not even close. Getting basic shit like that wrong shouldn't happen at this level.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think a red would have been harsh. Roncaglia had his back to the ball, there's no way he could have seen it coming let alone get out of the way. A penalty should have been called, because he interfered with the ball, but the play was unintentional. He jumped, the ball passed over him and then it was headed back towards him from behind, and it bounced off the back of his upper arm. He didn't extend his arm, either. It was a normal jumping motion.

Plus it happened very fast and in a crowded area, I can understand the ref not seeing it. I didn't see it the first time either. It's easy to complain after seeing things several times on replays from different angles, but it was a tough call and if the ref is not sure where the ball hit the player he cannot call a penalty.

10. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Morante is a really great defender. I've seen him miss 2 months due to injury, return for a month, then be out for 4, and return again. Everytime he returns he comes back in good shape and makes it seem like he wasn't out of competition at all. He did that last year. He's awesome to have when he's healthy. Unfortunately for him and for U de Chile, you haven't seen the best of him.

11. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I really hope you are right dude... I haven't seen anything of him! I missed his first match against San Felipe when he got injured. :(

I trust Sampaoli's judgement 100% though, since he coached him. Also, any guy who plays for the Ecuador NT defence can't be crap. You guys have a better defence than our NT anyway.

12. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    He recovered from his first injury to start playing...and get hurt again. Per your post, I get the impression he's very injury-prone: is that the case? If so, it will be tough for him to make an impact for a while.

13. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    he was injury prone last year. And apparently this year as well. But durting his first year playing as a regular in Emelec (2010 season), he wasn't ever out for more than 2 weeks or so. Last year he was out for the first half of the year (the majority of it), but he played most of the campeonato games really well during the second half of the year.

I'm not too sure how Chile's campeonatos work. From what i'm seeing it's a bit similar to mexico with play offs, am i correct? I watch U de Chile play here and there on Tv Chile, but in the last 3 weeks or so. I'm assuming you guys are almost done with your campeonato.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Brazilians up to their usual antics:

http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/...o-para-que-los-jugadores-de-boca-no-durmieran

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
  16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Absolutely not! As I was saying in rivalries, in Buenos Aires we treated their players so well. We allowed them to sleep like babies. In fact, we even mixed sleeping pills in their water to help them sleep. :D

locoxriver repped this.
  17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    And yet with that poisoned water the desired trophy was won by the Germans... ;)

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Only because we ran out of sleeping pills.

19. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Do what the Independente fan says happens in your country as well.

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. Comes with the territory.

21. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Wasn't asking you if they do it - I was "suggesting" you do as they do since the sleeping pills failed. :D

As exciting as the Libertadores is, too bad it's winding down. A 2-week break due to international friendlies, then the semifinals & finals... and that's it till 2013.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If we get past Flu maybe we can do it against Corinthians or Santos. :D

And whoever wins it this year, they better beat Chelsea. It's one thing to lose to Barca, but we can't lose to an English team.

23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Vasco, Corinthians, and Santos fans will take note... ;)

4 starters against Bayern Munich were Englishmen - Lampard, Cahill, Cole, and Bertrand. There were two Ivorians, a Brazilian, a Portuguese, a Nigerian, a Spaniard, and a Czech as well. Bayern in contrast had 8 Germans in the starting lineup. I'd say that Chelsea isn't much of a representative of English soccer - as I said here recently, the better UEFA teams have South Americans (and Africans) in their teams. They need us far more than we need them.

Moishe repped this.
  24. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    jotted. :)

25. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Flu dominating the first-half. Boca look like a shadow of their former selves right now.