PBP: Copa del Rey Final | FC Barcelona v Real Madrid | 16 April 2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ***MOD NOTE***

Trolling will be dealt with severely in this thread, especially during the match. You are encouraged to offer your opinions pre- and post- match in a respectful manner, but we ask that during the match you refrain from posting anything that can be construed as a wind-up.

[​IMG]

Wednesday the 16th of April 2014
    | BARCELONA (CEST), 21:30 | LOS ANGELES (PDT), 12:30 | MONTREAL (EDT), 15:30 | LONDON (BST), 20:30 | DUBAI (GST), 23:30 | MELBOURNE (AEST), 05:30 (NEXT DAY)
    [​IMG]

Estadio de Mestalla
    Valencia

[​IMG]

Stadium Guide

[​IMG]

This Season's Meetings in La Liga

Jornada 29 | Real Madrid 3-4 FC Barcelona | 23 March 2014

Match Stats

[​IMG]

Jornada 10 | FC Barcelona 2-1 Real Madrid | 26 October 2013

[​IMG]

REFEREE

Mateu Lahoz

[​IMG]
    General Stats + Scoring Times

[​IMG]

PLAYER STATS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ilovefotball, inswinger, celito and 2 others repped this.
  2. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

You did it.. Bravo ;) Now if Barca lose its your fault :p

puyol and Viscaelbarca repped this.
  3. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Come on now, I have been doing the threads since Guardiola took over! :D

@unclesox is the original thread-making master.

inswinger, jfcule, puyol and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think la liga might be slipping, so this could be the last chance for a trophy..

Plus you guys seem to have the mental edge over Madrid winning out in your series this season.

Should be a great game

puyol repped this.
  5. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

I knew Pep had nothing to do with the success :D

6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    lol My style was nothing like how you do them.
    At the time we had no designated thread starter. Whoever wanted to could do it. Thing is, there were times when the match was about to kick off and no match thread had been made. It happened quite often during the 2006-07 season.
    So for the 2007-08 season I just went ahead and started the match threads. But I did it with the intention of hoping we could get into a trend of starting match threads a few days before kickoff and not wait until the very last minute.
    Following a second consecutive season of watching Barca go trophyless I let it be known that I was 'retiring' from being the thread starter.
    @Viscaelbarca picked up the smoldering torch, fanned the flame back to life and brought us the Triplete in his first season as thread starter. He's been stuck doing it ever since. :p
    The last time I recall starting a match thread was for the 2009 Club World Cup when Viscaelbarca pm'd me saying he couldn't do it and asked if I'd "come out of retirement" just for those two games. The team was on the verge of losing the final and I was about to kick myself for starting the match threads until Pedro equalized in the 88th minute. Messi then (literally) chested home the winner and I breathed a sigh of relief. :D

inswinger, jfcule, Gilmango and 3 others repped this.
  7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We need our fighting spirit back, and this is all I have to say

[​IMG]

ilovefotball, puyol, Dhajj and 4 others repped this.
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We are football fans, which means, what have you done for us yesterday :D

Unfortunately I will miss most of this game, so if we win, you can ban me from the match threads.

9. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports today suggest that Cristiano Ronaldo will not be available.

Meanwhile we barely have a healthy CB but are traveling with 3 CBs amongst 5 altogether who have yet to get medical green lights (guessing that Cuenca and JDS are just there to celebrate with the team should we win):

Squad (vs Real Madrid): Pinto, Oier, Alves, Montoya, Bartra*, Pique*, Mascherano, Puyol*, Adriano, Alba, Busquets, Song, Xavi, Dos Santos*, Sergi Roberto, Afellay, Cesc, Iniesta, Cuenca*, Pedro, Alexis, Messi, Neymar, Tello
    note: players with an * after their name travel to valencia today despite not having the medical green light #fcblive

Bartra (thigh) trained with the group this morning, Puyol (knee) trained apart from the group, Pique (hip) not out on the pitch. So looking most like Bartra and Masch I guess.

Martino: "There's a chance we can count on Bartra, Puyol or Pique tomorrow. We'll see after the last training tomorrow."

Martino: "Bartra is a lot better than he was the day before the game against Granada, but no one will play unless he's totally fit."#fcblive

10. makavelli963

makavelli963 Member

May 4, 2009
    Earth
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is going to be a really tough test mentally. The team seems dead inside, let's hope they show some pride for the club and fans. They blew 2 possible titles in less than a week, so this will be their last effort. Pique out is huge, Mascherano needs to play an excellent game (LOL), Bartra will do well I feel.

Tactically, Tata may keep using his big match preferred formation with 4 midfielders in Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Cesc. I really wish it would revert back to a much more attacking line up with Sanchez or Pedro replacing Cesc. I know that the last time these teams met, the 4 mids may have won us the game but could just as easily have lost it. 4-3 it was, but it could easily have been 4-0 Madrid had things gone a bit differently. That match victory was down to pure individual performances (Messi and Di Maria) not tactics (Tata and Ancelotti). If the players don't show up this time then say adios to the Copa as well. We need players who track back, Neymar and Messi do not often do so. Pedro and Sanchez do. If Barcelona use 4 mids and win I won't complain anyway.

No prediction for the score. I obviously want us to win, but I am still salty about Granada and to a lesser extent Atletico, it boggles the mind as to how performances can drop so rapidly for an entire team. Individual players have off days sure, but for an entire squad to do so is ridiculous.

More penetration and directness please.

Viscaelbarca repped this.
  11. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

I bet Di Maria is looking forward to owning Alves again, Benzema could have a field day too against the weak defence. Questions is if Messi, Neymar, Iniesta can have a better night on the opposite side. I think we could have another crazy game like last time.

12. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Adriano should play as the second CB , we need someone who is fast and fit to deal with Bale.

Umar repped this.
  13. makavelli963

makavelli963 Member

May 4, 2009
    Earth
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Last time Adriano played in the Center Back role in a Copa final against Madrid we lost. Not sure about him.

14. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Busquets in CB and Song in DM is two weaknesses. Rather keep Busi in DM to keep midfield strong but who in CB?! :confused:

15. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts - let's hope Bartra can play and partner with Mascherano. Also hope Puyol is cleared to make the bench but is not needed. Adriano is the next potential CB (if Puyol and/or Bartra) cannot play. I don't have faith in Sergi B or Song playing CB, esp. not against a fast team (and for about the first time all year in a championship game).

Also hope we play Sanchez and/or Pedro and just two attacking midfielders around Busquets.

If Adriano is not needed as an emergency CB I could see him playing a "screw with their heads" role as one of two FBs which could work especially well as he is ambidextrous, so he could double up with either of Alves and Alba both at different times, and similarly alternate playing more attack or more D. That's just speculation though, we've got enough hustling to do just to get two CBs healthy. Also, with their back tracking defensive play I think we get lots from Pedro or Alexis and would not need a double FB gimmick, more just that I'm remembering all the time and space di Maria had for his assists and near assists last game in behind Alves. But some of that space came from CR7 commanding attention.

Wish list formation:
    Pinto
    Alves-Bartra*-Masch-Alba
    Xavi-Busquets-Iniesta
    Pedro-Messi-Neymar

Bench: Oier, Adriano, Puyol*, Song, Cesc, Sanchez, Tello (* meaning need medical clearance still). Montoya next in line if Puyol not cleared.

16. Hecklin Von Dutch

Mar 15, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    We'll Win...This is our last realistic chance at a trophy and the guys know it... They'll leave their heart out there.

Hendrixforpope repped this.
  17. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I wonder where our confidence is right now... :unsure:

A decent consolation prize for likely not winning La Liga would be a three-game season sweep of LPB.

18. Hecklin Von Dutch

Mar 15, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    The season isn't a total failure if we win this one trophy...just have to bounce back next season..especially seeing that RM will go trophyless this season *fingers crossed*

19. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we already won the Super Copa at the start of this season albeit in 2013. Our u19 kids just won the first ever UEFA tourney, even as they sat several notable 1995 year kids who are already with Barca B. Our hoops team is in the Euroleague quarterfinals and up a game in the best of 5 to advance to the semis. So while our season is not what we hoped at the start of the season but things could be much much worse. Basically we've been spoiled for the better part of 12 years as fans. Our down years would make many other clubs envious.

20. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    ^^ Most of the things you listed are results of good work the club has been doing for many years now though. I think the problem we have faced this season and last season to an extent is a result of bad management from the top. Too many off field problems, which has definetly affected the players. If we don't try to change things now, the good thing our club has been doing for several years can be ruined very easily. It's time for change.

I say, bring Laporta back. No matter what people think he was quick to respond to the demand of the team. He changed the club from crisis to a succesful one in 2004/05 and then when things again started to go bad, he changed this pretty quickly by making a bold move to hire Pep. Basically, he did more than just kissing Qatari's and Nike's a**. The board should have tried to refresh things up the moment Pep left. If Pep though that he couldn't motivate the team anymore, who the heck can then motivate that team without refreshing?

The team we have now is once in a generation one, and we should always ask for best from them . Remember we are currently living in a Golden era as Barcelona fans, no matter what we do, these types of players and era don't come often so we should look to take advantage of this.

Dhajj, Forzabarca and unclesox repped this.
  21. makavelli963

makavelli963 Member

May 4, 2009
    Earth
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #21 makavelli963, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    They need a refresh as you say, and the way to do it is to inject the squad with new blood. (players, in case someone is confused) And I do not mean 50million dollar signings but players who are able to do their job and give great competition to their team mates during training.

Remember playing football with the same people for a long period of time can sometimes lead to a drop in quality in regards to competitiveness and edge. Now, if you always strive to compete with the best, your own level increases in that sense if you catch my drift. We signed Sanchez, Neymar, Song, Adriano, Cesc, Alba in recent seasons. While on paper this may look like a decent investment, it really is debatable.

Song while he has improved is not up to the task in my eyes. I like him though, he is a decent footballer but a bad signing.

Sanchez, here is a player who the club seems to have screwed over I feel. He was one of the best Seria A players when at Udinese, we signed him. He made an impact against Madrid, then got injured quite a bit then was shunned for Pedro (I like Pedro), then not given a consistent run in matches when he should have. When Messi was injured toward the end of last season he performed greatly. Again this season we signed Neymar who moved him even further down the pecking order, yet Sanchez still scored the Golazo against Madrid when he came on (Neymar scored too :)). It is always up and down and out with him. He deserves more I feel. Great signing overall for his quality alone but his impact has been stifled.

Adriano - Utility player who let's be honest is actually quite decent. Scores goals, like to attack a lot. But defensively he leaves a lot to be desired. Ok signing as a squad player.

Cesc - Great debut games for us, then tactically he was shuffled around a lot and the style we play hurt his ability to impact proceedings. Like Sanchez in a sense he has been up and down for the majority of the time. But I give props to him for sticking with it. Xavi is detrimental to his development at this stage. Ok signing for now but depending on what happens with Xavi he may take over the leadership role in this squad.

Alba - His speed, stamina and adventurous nature is a massive plus in a team like Barcelona who leave so much space behind the back 4. Good Signing.

Neymar - I think he has done very well considering all the drama surrounding him and his transfer. I mean he definitely needs to make more of the opportunities he is presented with in front of goal, but other than that he has been a bright spot this season. Good signing, needs to bulk up a bit and learn to take hits like Messi.

Sorry for the rant and off-topic reply.

If you notice there are no centre backs mentioned. And that is the area that required the most attention.

inswinger, evil_allan and ilovefotball repped this.
  22. RaDiuM

RaDiuM Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Everyone can agree that a large part of your problem comes from up top. The depth of the squad is also an issue in terms of strikers and defenders. I do however think you'd pose more of a threat to our team playing Neymar - Messi - Sanchez than to employ Cesc as a fourth midfielder. Games like this go beyond management and form issues.

It'll be an open game, and none of us will be able to predict it, as has been the case for the last two clasicos.

23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes but remember there are tons of team competing for the thropies. Barcelona isnt the only team that has $$ + talented players but still, they won 20+ thropies from 2004-2014 which includes 6 league + 3 CL. Its not easy to stay on the top a a decade. The only reason why last season look bad was because the way we lost to Bayern but we're without coach for months and still reached semifinal and secured the league with 100 points. Yet, Im sure many people will remember that 7-0 defeat instead of the League victory. That said, one season without major thropy isnt the end of everything. We only have a single Champions league thropy before 2004 and now we have 4 but off course the problem is., this generation of fans probably expecting 7 or 8!

24. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    ^^ I agree with you on that we have been very successful recently and the season last year was a successful one if you look at the trophies we won. However, it is also important to look at the management and analyse if they should have done more. The thing which most of the posters here are saying is not hindsight only. Most of the Barca fans has been crying for changes for couple of seasons already and everyone agrees that the changes they have been crying for were legetimate, not only now but at the time the fans wanted. But the management failed to adress those issues hence the team was much weaker than it should have been.

Who can honestly say that if we have bought the defenders we should have last year and the year before, we wouldn't have won more? That is why there is no denying that we have underachived and didn't make the most of our golden generation and the blame is entirely on the management.

You might see this differently, but I see this as a golden opportunity gone begging to catch up LPB and Milan in Europe and LPB in La Liga.

evil_allan repped this.
  25. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona