Conte on the job. Tactics, Failures & Success

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Tifoso, May 17, 2011.

1. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Conte officially new coach

I disagree with the first year's objective, but not the latter two. If you are fine with earning an EL spot next year, then that's not much of an improvement from this year and is no progress from two years ago. Juventus must do every fucking thing possible to try to get one of the three CL spots. We've been out of the CL two years in a row now, a third would be disastrous.

2. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i agree. Everything starts fresh every year so you should ALWAYS go for the scudetto or CL spot as minimum, since we are juventus for god's sake. You aim for europa league then thats just setting low expectations. Even this year we coulda made CL if we didnt give away stupid games to ties and losses. Literally 2-3 games could've changed everything and we are "SUPPOSED" to get better players this summer right????? :rolleyes: so technically we should be doin better than this year, not the same.

3. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

^While I agree we shouldn't set low expectations like EL qualification, I think the Scudetto is too unrealistic. Every ounce of energy should be put into obtaining 3rd place.

4. cattivo20

cattivo20 Member

Dec 21, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Hi Davey,

I agree with what you are saying. However, I am trying to not place all my eggs in a basket like last time.

I look at it this way, let's say we play well and are in every game next season, but injuries and a little unluck causes us to miss CL by 1 point or 2, I will be upset, but at least I can keep my head up high that we fought all season rather then look like we gave up in each game like this past year.

However, if the same season happens next year just like this past in the sense where the team under preforms, losses to low seeded teams, then I will be just as upset as this year and say this is unsatisfactory.

In the end, as long as we see improvements and consistency, we can be real competitors in Serie A and Europe. Think about it, we were always had a consistent and great defense, which always helped us be in the running even when our attack was sub-par.

5. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC

i agreed with cattivo, well i guess both of you. obviously we need to aim for first, but i wouldn't consider conte reaching the EL his first year a failure, as long as he has shown promise. with only 3 spots, it will be very tough to get to CL, so obviously thats the goal but if we show signs of knowing what we're doing and get EL , thats fine to me. although assuming he stays CL must be a priority year 2

6. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz

There's no reason not to set the bar high, at least. Trying to just obtain third place is like competing for a Scudetto anyway since there will only be 3 spots next year. Napoli finished third, and they were in it for the Scudetto up until about the 33rd week.

7. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

What I am trying to say is... the goal should be CL qualification. Whether that is close to being a Scudetto or not is a matter of a lot of things. Sometimes, the difference between 3rd and 1st place is a few points, other years it could be as many as 10 points. 3rd place, at a minimum, should be the goal. Anything else will be a disappointing year. Why, you say? Because Juve not in the CL is a disappointment. A disappointment that will be too difficult to bear, three years in a row.

8. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz

The goal this season should be to finish top 3. If we somehow fall ass-backwards into a Scudetto, that would just be the icing on the cake. The league isn't that strong, so the goal should be a Scudetto every year going forward with getting into Champions League as great consolation. You need to set the bar high, especially in a league like Serie A (now with match-fixing goodness!).

9. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

to me theres no difference, if ur in the top 5 teams all year, u basically have a chance at scudetto so its not out of the question.

10. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

If Conte does not win the scudetto next season, then he failed and should be shipped out.

11. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I don't think it will be possible unless they sign an army of world class players in the summer.

12. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggXmKPMaHMo"]Do I detect a note of sarcasm?[/ame]

13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Anyone can win the scudetto in that fashion. He has to make the players better, the team better and exciting. I will not accept anything less. Scudetto or get his culo out of here.

14. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Forza - You are going to need a bigger detector than that!

15. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC

im saying depending how the team looks, just because we don't make a CL we can't automatically consider failure. you look at the name juventus and you think no CL is failure yes this is true, but then you look at the situation been out the past 2 years, no stability, carousel of players coming and going, and young inexperienced coach and you have to adjust, also with only 3 cl spots. if we hold him to CL or go, will be switching coaches every year let him put in his system get his players get experience and then we can aim high. trying for the quick fix is how we're so messed up, not willing to let anyone grow if you can't do it right now you're gone. we must give conte time just like any young player

16. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I would be happy with a fight for the Scudetto and a top 3 finish.

17. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz

Here's what I believe: If we miss Champions League this year, it will be a failure. Any way you slice it, not making Champions League is a failure because of the money you spend on your players. However, I don't believe Conte should lose his job unless this team finishes below 12th place. I would consider that to not only be failure, but a complete breakdown of the team and its system. I think Conte needs the time to build this team into what he envisions is a champion. Making Europa League is a failure, unfortunately, because the money that will be put into this team is built for making Champions League.

I believe that if we add just three more pieces that we will make the Champions League. Those three pieces are a LW, LB, and RB. Each one has to have success or a great potential of success at their position. Bring those three in, and I guarantee as I stand here today, that we will make Champions League next year.

18. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I don't think we have a CL team. We will benefit from not being in EL/CL and Conte will be able to concentrate on the league. If he can keep us in the top 3 and we invest in next summers transfer window and increase our quality and dept we will have a chance at the Scudetto and compete in the CL.

We need those 3 positions covered but we also need lots of dept and competition between the players for a starting spot. That will put us in a better situation for next summer.

19. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC

i don't know if we are a CL team in the usual definition of the word, but serie A is weak right now so with a few additions i think we do.
    @forza okay i see where your coming from i agree with that

20. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

And this is the precise reason why I was against a coach with limited experience like Conte. No offense to him, but we can't afford a season for him to get it right. CL or bust.

21. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ya this is such bs, we've been downhill for over 5 years and after all these crap seasons we appoint a coach with limited experience and expect him to build our team into a CL team?? :rolleyes: is this realistic?? even if he was a guardiola type coach, he doesnt have the players to do that. I dont think we have time, we need to rebuild this team asap before it loses its brand name, as it already has. We give a mediocre coach lets say 3 years and he gets us nowhere then we've wasted our time and we have to pick up another coach. If we wanted to give someone time del neri was the man but after a bad season no one can bare any coach these days.

so i agree also, CL or you're gone, im tired of this mediocre shit we've been on, i dont wanna end up like napoli after the maradona era. If we want to bring in good players next winter or summer, we NEED to get CL spot next year.

22. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  23. Bianconeri13

Bianconeri13 Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC

@davey i agree with that i would have gone veteran. but considering we went this route we must recognize he is not a veteran..if that makes sense..
    @phat if that is true that makes absolutely zero sense :(

24. cattivo20

cattivo20 Member

Dec 21, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Here is a thought..

Seeing the Prandelli used a 3 man midfield with a pushed up attacking midfield, would it be a wise idea to add Montolivo to the team and have him pair up with Pirlo and Marchiso as we can see how well they played on the National level and could make their partnership even stronger. Look at 2006 with Chellini, Cannavaro and Buffon in the back..formed a nice chemistry and our defense was unbeatable.

Maybe we can sell Melo (don't really want to0) but he can bring in some nice cash that we can use towards a CAM or if we get Aquilani on the cheap, use the Melo money to bring in a better Striker or LB/RB

25. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz

Conte will be using an attacking 4-4-2/4-2-4. There is no CAM. There is no 3 man midfield. Signing Montolivo makes no sense since he doesn't fit the mold of midfielder that Conte needs.

Also, let's try to keep this Italy/Estonia match in perspective. They played Estonia. It's not like they whipped up on a European power.