Conte on the job. Tactics, Failures & Success

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Tifoso, May 17, 2011.

1. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    I agree with how you described Marchisio.
    +Gets himself in dangerous positions on offense to receive passes.
    +Good vision and killer pass near the goal area (but not a distributor).
    +Closes passing lanes and presses opponents. Plays box to box.
    +Good at shooting

-Does not seem to enjoy being a distributor when having to come back for the ball.
    -Although he drifts in wide areas, he doesn't have the speed to consistently win 1 v 1s.
    -He isn't a physical force

"If that isn't flexibility then I guess hes just a really skilled inflexible player."

Agreed.

2. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Oh baby this Juve is the sex

3. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    23 Aug 2013 - in: Serie A
    Conte: “The appeal of winning”
    “We must always keep in our minds what we felt after each victory so that we can do our utmost to feel the same emotions once again”

[​IMG]

Since 7 April 2012, Juventus have played forty-five league matches, won two league titles and have never been knocked off their top spot in the table. And it is his players’ desire to carry on in the same way that Antonio Conte believes will spur them on in their first encounter of the season tomorrow evening against Sampdoria at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

Speaking to the media at Vinovo this afternoon, he said: “I'm banking on my players' motivation to stay up there, and the only way to do that it to take all three points. Last year we lost to them both at home and away and I hope things go differently this time around.

“We are facing a very good team made up of young players with an experienced leader in Delio Rossi, a man who keeps a low profile but gets things done. We will run into problems, but we must start in the best way possible.”

It is not realistic to expect the team to have hit peak fitness just yet, but they have already managed to hit their first target of the season, putting four goals past Lazio to claim the Italian Super Cup.

On the topic of his side’s fitness, the 44-year-old commented: “I would be concerned if we were fully fit at this stage. That would mean we hadn't worked so much, concentrating only on starting well.

“No team can be 100% fit now, and playing ten of last year's first eleven against Lazio did the trick, as they knew the tactics inside-out. This, along with the motivation and determination of the players, was a great help and we have placed the first trophy of the season in the trophy cabinet.

“Now we are approaching the first step on a long path. It was nice to win the Super Cup because out of the seven trophies available we have won four in the space of two years. The figures are incredible, if you think that at the beginning of our project we planned to be putting in a challenge for our first Scudetto this season.

“It would make history if we won another title, but I'm aware that's difficult and my experience as a footballer tells me the same. We must all be perfect – club, players, staff, fans – and stick together without taking anything for granted.”

The Bianconeri are widely thought of as favourites to take the Scudetto, something which Conte accepts but with a few necessary clarifications.

He continued: “The starting grid isn't important: many clubs have bought players, spending much more than we have, which is what happened in the past few years. But I hear people saying that the gap between Juve and their rivals has widened. So, I ask myself, what will happen when we do have a bigger budget? Will you just hand us the Intercontinental Cup?

“The truth is that Juve can't get away from being considered favourites because we won the Scudetto. We had the same situation last year for the very same reason and we were able to prove we were the best. Two years ago, however, we were not favourites, but we won all the same, by proving on the pitch that we deserved the title. That's what we'll have to do again this year and we know that it isn't going to be easy.”

He then added that the best way to prove that his side deserve the title is quite simple: “By winning. That’s because, turning around and looking back at the path you’ve just come up on your way to success, you feel unique emotions that compensate for all the sacrifices you’ve had to make.

“Winners always want to keep winning, and we should always have the desire to try to relive the emotions of recent seasons. Let’s remember what we’ve come through and that will give us the motivation we need to try to experience the same feelings again.”

Juve are perfectly equipped to achieve their aims this season and he described how the abundance of world-class players in the squad is the least of his worries. The squad has plenty of cover, but having to do without Marchisio for a while is something that he nonetheless believes is a big blow.

On the subject of the 27-year-old’s injury, he said: “The side will miss him, and so will I. Because he’s an important player who, together with everyone else in the squad, has made me a winning coach.

“I always want to have all my players available all the time: there’ll come a time when I’ll be forced to make a choice, knowing that I’ll have quality players on the bench. But I also see games such as the one between Barcelona and Levante, where Messi starts and Neymar comes on as a substitute 10 minutes from the end of the game. Or Bayern, where Robben isn’t an automatic starter and where Thiago Alcantara comes on 20 minutes before the final whistle. If these were the only problems to worry about…”

Nor does he consider tactics a problem, despite people often talking about a possible change in formation: “I’m starting to think that it’s our opponents or the press who want the change. Sometimes I ask myself, ‘What are they talking about?’ I win playing the tactics I’ve chosen to play – yet they expect me to change. Why? I swear, I can’t think of a good answer, but as soon as I have one, I’ll let you know!” the coach beamed at the gathered journalists.

But the smiles disappeared when questions turned to the subject of racism at football grounds: “Everyone has to unite and stand up against every single violent act or moment of unacceptable behaviour on the part of the fans.

“For a start, the press shouldn’t give so much prominence to the vile and violent incidents. There are racism chants during games? OK, shut the Curva down. No matter which Curva it is. And then nothing more should be said about the matter. After one, two or three such incidents, they’ll think twice before repeating certain behaviour.”

4. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Conte: Europe, Serie A, tactics and Italy…
    By Football Italia staff

Juventus boss Antonio Conte has discussed the Champions League, theScudetto race, his 3-5-2 system and the Italy job with the Italian media on Thursday.

Having attended a UEFA coaching forum in Nyon, the tactician was cornered by journalists at the Hotel Bellevue where he was asked about a variety of subjects.

Starting with the European Cup, he was hopeful that his side could fight for the title after reaching the last eight in 2012-13.

“I’m optimistic even if I know it will be tough,” the 44-year-old commented.

“We have an extra year of experience and that is not to be belittled, as last season we had a lot of players who had never played in the competition and they didn’t know what to expect.

“After Inter won in 2010, I said that it would take some time for another Italian team to lift the Champions League. Now I’m more hopeful because I am seeing change.

“The economical difficulties should not scare us. We need to compensate for that with tactical organisation, technique, mentality and the desire to surprise.

“When you don’t have money you have to use ingenuity and we are good at doing that in Italy.”

Juventus have reigned supreme in Italy over the last 24 months, but Contehas played down suggestions that his side will easily claim a hat-trick ofScudetti.

“The Scudetto will be harder this year because the quality has risen, so whoever wins the title will deserve even more credit.

“There are at least five or six teams battling for the championship. Juventus, Napoli, Milan, Inter, Roma, Lazio and Fiorentina.

“Our next opponents Inter? They are a side who mirror their Coach. They are to be feared because they are strong defensively and can hit you on the break.”

Conte arrived in Turin two years ago with a 4-2-4 system, but the Bianconeriare now recognised as a 3-5-2 outfit.

“The three man defence is ideal for the characteristics of my squad. A lot of people in Europe are curious about it and here at the forum I’ve been asked a lot of questions on it.

“I’ve also got the chance to see [Real boss Carlo] Ancelotti again at the forum, a man who coached me at Juventus for two years. I spoke to him about the upcoming Real games, but we also remembered the past.

“I hugged him because I have great respect for him. I never thought that I would become a coaching colleague of his – that is satisfying.”

Conte was also questioned on the possibility that he could be a contender to replace Cesare Prandelli as Italy boss after World Cup 2014.

“It is too soon to talk about Prandelli’s successor. He is a great Coach, the most suitable to continue his work with the national side where he has constructed an excellent squad who play excellent football.

“Anyway, he hasn’t said officially that he is leaving. As far as I’m concerned, I have a contract at Juventus and I’m very happy in Turin.”

5. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    What is an almost universal indicator of coaching quality?
    Set pieces.
    A team that concedes a lot on set pieces, and fails to score and create good scoring opps from its set pieces, is usually a team that has not been properly prepared.
    I find it concerning that Juve is having so much trouble with set pieces. That's a bad sign.

Daei_10 repped this.
  6. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Except that is the trademark of Conte, team preparation. The bad sign is that we have players who are ball watching instead of sticking with their marks. I think Isla was guilty today. Asamoah has his share.

7. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ogbonna was on the field for both goals.

8. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    It WAS the trademark of Conte. I'm wondering why there is a noticeable falloff in the prepredness of the squad.

9. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    First thing he brought up in an interview.

10. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thats been my worry for a while. we are usually bad at set pieces on both sides of the field. we hardly score on them or it takes alot of them til we get one in. but most of the goals we concede are pretty stupid.

11. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    It also doesn't help that this is the third game in a row where they conceded first. Hard to go on a winning run that way.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #662 Dante, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    Agreed, Isla was just standing there and watching, I thought Ogbonna had a better day but he still needs to learn his role in the lineup and maybe give him a few more games against some of the smaller teams to help him.

13. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A lot of shit was said about Bonucci. Ogbonna needs some time. So does Isla.

14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much time should Isla realistically get?

15. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Enough time so that you get off his back! :p

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, a couple more years?

17. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He's improved. The last 2 matches he did well. His movement is excellent. Link up play has got better, once the understanding between him and others improves he will be class.

18. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sooooooooo apparently Conte confirmed he will play 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-1-2 for the madrid game....

my question is why in the hell is he announcing this to the world ??
    we're already being looked down upon for our shit defense this year and how this formation is not working...conte is showing his weaknesses way too much. Just the fact that he's revealed this, it shows the urgency and scaredness of the team. I think he shoulda kept it secret and let media find out through practice or right before the game. it woulda threw ancelloti and madrid off thinking we're gonna play 3-5-2

anyway i think this formation would be good...i just wished we tried it at least a few times this season or even in pre season. luckily our italy NT players are used to it but i hope we can come out successful with this.

19. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Where did you read that?

20. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was on Sky and several sources on twitter

21. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    About time.

22. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stick to that stupid 3-5-2 Conte....

a vulnerable formation that requires world class wingers, yet we play with average ones....which are really converted midfielder (asa) and fullback (lich)

not only that but keep relying on long balls and stupid flick every freakin game....3 years and he thinks no ones gonna figure it out

icing on the cake is he lost to Mancini which is a failure of a coach in Europe

good job Antonio!

juventino13 repped this.
  23. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  24. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    we're not seeing progress in the CL, and that's the crux of the matter. We had a similarly rocky group stage campaign last season, before managing to pull things together in the last few games. This season, we had an arguably easier group and did worse. So we are regressing, and this is why i come to the conclusion to sack him: we have to ditch Conte after this season, because we are moving backwards.

I could have been more forgiving, if the reason we didn't qualify was because of one bad or unfortunate result. It can happen, and given everything positive he has achieved until now, i would at least give him the benefit of the doubt.

But look at our CL season, it's been one big disastrous debacle. One measly win in 6 games, what a shame for a team which is defending Italian champions in the competition.

He continues to persist with the 3-5-2, even though it's been clear for 2 seasons in a row that we struggle against European teams with it.
    He has not learnt from his mistakes, that is what i find unforgivable. The signs were there last season as well, and the signs were there early this season when we drew away to Copenhagen. What did he do? Adapted for Real, but then continued as usual against the rest, and now we're out of the CL.

And we never seemed prepared for games in the CL, i knew we had thrown it away when we drew against Galatasaray in Turin. And the performance we put in was just symptomatic of everything which has been wrong with the team throughout this season.

And the defense.....my God, the defense. What a disgrace for a Juventus team to have a defense which is completely incapable of defending when we need to defend well the most. Conte has to take the blame for that, a team can't keep a clean sheet for 6 games, you can't tell me the coach cannot heed the warnings, and sort this out. A better coach would have.

And that's what it comes down to, Conte is a good coach. But we need a better coach to get the best out of this team in the CL, plain and simple

25. 1251alex

1251alex Member+

Oct 3, 2010
    La Mirada, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The man makes us rise from the ashes and some of you would love to see him sacked. This match should have been postponed until conditions were optimal. He even admitted we shouldn't have left it til the final game, but those turkish groundskeepers really ********ed us. The half that we attacked on was a corn field. While theirs was clear. Explain that.

OldLady repped this.