Conor Doyle at Derby County FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by vtron, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, if you want to be pedantic.

I could also say that the Texans produced Doyle and not Derby County and since Clint Dempsey came from the Texans, we can all breath a sigh of relief.

That's not unique to you lot ;)

2. Pridepark

Pridepark New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Telford, Shropshire
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We didn't produce either Paulo (what a fantastic goal againsthe Man U) or Conor but we certainly gave them the firm basis to draw upon that inner confidence. Paulo should've gone onto better teams in England but sadly didn't seem to grow into the role which he was more than capable of. Hopefully Conor will grasp bull by both horns and run with it. Good luck to him.

3. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    Mike Grella? I think Conor has already started more games than the career third division benchwarmer.

4. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. No, he hasn't you goon.

Mike's "career" isn't even two years old -- there's plenty of kids from the 2009 Superdraft who aren't starting regularly in MLS either. On top of that, Mike's been behind a former Barcelona youth product (whose been linked to the likes of Celtic) and a club legend who scored 72 goals in 126 appearances. Please take your failed shit elsewhere.

5. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    You must not know anything about Grella's career because if you did you'd know you are wrong.

In terms of championship minutes (league) then I believe Conor has the edge but overall career Mike wins easily.

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Welcome to BigSoccer, and please feel free to contribute as much input, articles, match reports, etc. as you like regarding Conor. It would all be much appreciated here.

7. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    The game starts at 7:15 am ET for those who don't know. Streams should be available, its going to be a good game. I've liked what I've seen from a few other Championship games I've watched.

Edit: The game will be shown on Fox Soccer Plus.

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can our friend "yanksabroad" himself, or somebody else, if possible, record and upload the game tomorrow morning? It's first priority among many here I'm sure for their YA weekend, but I, and many others can't justify waking at 6:15 centrale on a Saturday. I'd DVR it, but Fox Soccer Plus isn't part of my TV package, only FSC.

On another note, I think it'd be a valuable service here if someone compiled a simple schedule in advance with the American times, exact days, and opponents of each relevant (subjective) YA game that particular weekend. I like YA's site, but with the article format it's just a little too spread out to serve the purpose of a schedule. Other alternatives are checking individual threads here for times, hoping something pops up on the gameday forum far enough in advance, or checking select American player's club pages. I just want to see a comprehensive schedule that's one click away so I'm not surprised and/or scouring for games of interest is a chore. Maybe have each moderator on the board contribute to a master list because you edit posts?

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The key is to figure out league patterns. The SPL sometimes has 7 EST kickoffs, while the PL and Championship have a couple 7-7:45 EST kickoffs as well. Denmark sometimes has 9 EST kickoffs. The Bundesliga usually is the earliest with their full schedule with 9:30 EST though and that's when I normally wake up unless there is a specific early match I want to watch.

Tomorrow Derby plays at 7:15 and Leeds at 7:30, but I don't plan on waking up until Moechengladbach at 9:30. This website actually might be really useful to you, the schedules for a ridiculously large number of leagues are kept updated day to day:

http://www.flashscore.com/

10. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the time I believe those early kickoffs are TV-driven but Leeds is playing early tomorrow because its Millwall and sometimes things get "propah nawty" when Millwall visits. (The early kickoffs are done to minimize the time spent drinking etc...)

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky Sports News did a short little blurb on Conor this morning during their preview of Derby's match. Essentially they just mentioned his rise from Texas to Derby. Conor definitely has that Texan twang. Conor mentioned Saturday could be his 1st start after injury woes. Interestly enough not a word of his father and his Irish background. That's good we want that a secret so they keep their hands off! But there have been rumors the Irish FA are interested from what I read. Nonetheless it is good Conor is getting some press. Whether he starts today or not he is sure to get minute against Coventry. I'll be on the lookout to see how he does.

12. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Doyle gets the start!

13. mdent

mdent New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As much as I wish a fellow Texan and soccer player the best I can't help but say I'm a bit jealous....really jealous. I used to play against this kid in club, follow his high school team, and I was offered to play with Creighton before I decided to go to Europe....:rolleyes:

Oh well, sometimes it doesn't go our way. Good luck to Conor Doyle and keep the reputation of us Texas boys real strong.

14. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One less guy for Conor to worry about, even if I worry about how quality he really is. I mean, there's a reason why he was a mid-to-high level prospect for college soccer.

15. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the more meteoric rises I can remember for a young Yank.

16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there were no WP rules a lot of US collegians could play in the League and Conference.

17. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
  18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel free to create one

19. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
  20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    So piss off, Ireland!

21. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging Mr. Rongen. Mr. Rongen you have a telephone call at the front desk...

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rongen should call but there probably won't be a time until next May when Derby would let him go.

Also, I am not sure he would make the team with the current forwards we have at the u20s (which may include Mwanga by next year)

still, Doyle a has earned a shot

24. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree, derby probably wouldnt let him go, but that doesnt mean that Rongen cant express interest :D

the interest alone would tell Doyle that he's on his radar