Conor Doyle at Derby County FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by vtron, Jul 18, 2010.

1. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    He's complimented the kid in interviews so that is promising. I'm excited this is a great move for such a young player.

2. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
  3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, 18 year old gets 20 minutes in the championship coming in for Robbie Savage. Kinda a big deal...

i guess its time to start paying attention if we werent before

4. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Big deal, deserves a U-20 call-up.

5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rongen knows about everyone

The thing is that he won't get called up to the U20s for a camp that takes place during he season if he is actually playing for Derby.

It's not worth it for him to miss time with his club this fall just to fly over for some U20 camp

The best thing for Doyle is to stay with his club and earn playing time. If he gets regular time, he will get invited a camp as soon as the European season ends. Rongen always has camps in may when the seasons end.

6. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Move over Mike Grella there is a new kid in town. Great for him to come on as a sub AND get 20 minutes! Not bad at all for a kid that signed 1 week or so ago. Derby seem to rate him highly. Very impressive that he is getting pt so soon, they obviously see something bright in him.

7. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is awesome that he is this young and playing in the Championship. This certainly won't be overlooked by the U20s

8. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "With the move to Derby County, young Conor Doyle came into contact with Irish international Paul Green, who has immediately alerted the FAI of the youngster's eligibility.

Doyle's father was born in Ireland before he moved to America to take up a professional soccer career in the now defunct Major Indoor Soccer League.

...The FAI are watching the youth's progress as we speak and with the news that he already has an Irish passport and has so far been overlooked by the USSF's youth set-up it is believed that the FAI may approach the youngster for an U-19 or U-21 international in the near future."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ith-team-ireland-over-18-year-old-conor-doyle

9. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    This kid will be playing in a U.S. jersey don't you fret about that. The FAI have about a less than 5% chance of capping a kid who grew up in "Texas" of all places.

10. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet the USA is already tracking him. Americans don't sign in the Championship at 18 and not get noticed.

11. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
  12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That's pretty outrageous. Is Derby seriously beset by injuries or are they actually putting this much faith in him? We've seen first-impression-overenthusiasm a few times before (Kamani Hill @ Wolfsburg, Bryan Arguez @ Hertha, etc) so I don't want to get too excited yet. Still -- this stuff doesn't happen every day.

13. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he already played more pro games than Kamani Hill at Wolfsburg and Bryan Arguez at Hertha.

14. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    More than Arguez (1) but not Hill (9).

This is great and if Sky is covering it there will be streams.

15. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    no, it's injury. Tomasz Cywka is out and Hulse is still not 100%.
    nevertheless, the 18 year old gets a "Wally Pip" shot. The Whirlwind continues.

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two injuries isn't the kind of epic injury crisis that a lot of 18 year olds would need to find themselves in the starting lineup. It would be great if he could turn in a decent performance.

According to football-lineups, Derby has been playing a 4-2-3-1 and in their three games so far Luke Varney, Rob Hulse, and Chris Porter have started up top once each. Cywka has been playing as the center of the three advanced midfielders. Varney and Porter are healthy, yes? It's not as if the entire Derby team is decimated; it would be impressive if Doyle started.

17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it was two injuries that got Neven Subotic off and running in BL2 a few years back. I agree w/ you- a good showing would be to show that he belongs at this level.

I also seem to recall an article with quotes from Rongen re: Conor, but I can't find it again so maybe I'm making it up. Regardless, I'm sure Tom knows a lot more than we do (scouting is his strength) and I'd wager money that Conor feels a lot more American than Irish.

18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This feels to familiar. 18 years old in the second division of a big league on a team with a good coach. the u-20 world cup approaching. Someone eligible to play for two countries. A bunch of youth players (Ruelas, Salgado, Agudelo, Wood) to compete against to make u-20 team while he is a pro with game experience. Sounds like Jac Mac's situation but in England. But also a situation familiar to one of the highest regarded CB in Europe.

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is talk on the DC boards about Hulse being transferred to Cardiff City within the Npowership, so that's a strong indicator of County's belief in Doyle. It's not like they'd be receiving too much money in return from Cardiff to pass up. Doyle received a good review from fans for his stint off the bench this past weekend. He is skyrocketing up the U.S.' top prospect list. The USSF should incorporate him early so as to not alienate him ala Subotic.

21. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Oh lets just get on with it and call him up for the Poland game :)