Conor Doyle at Derby County FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by vtron, Jul 18, 2010.

1. CreightonMCFCjoey

Jan 30, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Connor Doyle

sounds like Doyle officially signed with Derby today.

2. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE

Haven't seen anything on the Derby site yet, but Doyle's name no longer appears on the roster on the Creighton website--and it was there yesterday. I was looking forward to seeing him play for the Jays this year, esp. after seeing him in the spring games. Still, I wish him the best of luck with Derby or wherever he ends up.

3. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Done deal.

4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

Excellent news. An 18 year old playing in the Championship is a pretty big deal.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Not that size makes a good player, but out of curiosity, how tall is Doyle?

6. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

very big deal. it's pretty great.

7. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I think he's 6'1

8. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    FYI the game will be shown on Fox Soccer Plus so there should be streams available. Potentially two YA's on tv.

9. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tall striker from Dallas whose British dad was an old-school indoor soccer figure and manages his career?

This can only turn out well.

10. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irish dad... There is a difference.

11. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, British Isles. Using the geopolitical definition rather than the parochial.

12. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Ireland is part of the British Isles (as an aside, the Irish don't like that term with (I believe) the gov't refusing to use the term), but I have a feeling his father would not want to be described as British...

13. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've gotten into this before. I'm well aware of the history of these countries. But looking at things from a global perspective, Ireland and the British countries are a pretty cohesive region who now speak the same language and have pretty similar cultures.

Just like I would consider Russia/Ukraine, Australia/New Zealand, or India/Sri Lanka as part of a similar region.

14. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a bit of a surprise, as I thought someone with such knowledge would never have called an Irishman born in Dublin "British". Anyhow, that's my last word on this as it appears this issue has been discussed in another thread I haven't seen (to the obvious annoyance of other posters).

15. mccscratch

mccscratch Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC

If you know anything about the Clough family and the major major rivalry against Leeds United (see movie The Damn United)...then this means that Nigel Clough is very very serious about Doyle... Maybe a star in the making... I watched his father a lot growing up as a KC Comets fan so this is really neat news.

16. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
  17. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This kid is a classic product of our Development Academy system that should become more frequent. Derby had a scout at the Spring showcase, along with Chelsea and a few Mexican clubs. Hopefully Conor can set a precedent for a lot of American kids to attract more European scouts to these events. I'm a big fan our best youth being signed by MLS, but there's so much talent in this country that MLS won't be able to cover all of it. The problems arrives when it comes to work permits, luckily Conor was eligible for one, but I'm sure there are others out there that are too. Of course, there are other countries with more lax work permit laws that can be taken advantage of as well. I'm really excited for this kid and his story.

18. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No, we don't.

19. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    No one in the Republic is going to consider themselves British. Some people in Northern Ireland would consider themselves Irish than British, even though NI is under British rule.

Thats all I'm going to say about it as its getting off topic.

David Doyle is not British he is Irish. Last I checked the Republic of Ireland was a free country.

Conor's dad says he is eligible to play tomorrow.

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=6601

20. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way cool. Good luck to the kid- hope he makes it big. Wonder if he is on Rongen's radar. Anyone know if he's played for a US youth team in the past?

21. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Today and the next game may reveal how serious the gaffer is with CD. If he makes it on the pitch, it would be a phenomenal accomplishment.