Conor Doyle at Derby County FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by vtron, Jul 18, 2010.

1. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012

I don't watch. And neither do 90% of the soccer fans in this country.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    lulz :rolleyes:

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went down to RFK and saw DCU lose to Vancouver a couple of weeks ago, he can't be much worse...

6. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, we suck, but the ref ********ed us over in that game! We really have nobody willing to score on this team, I'm hoping Conor will do well. Ruiz has yet to hit the net, Pajoy is just god awful, DeRo has been injured, Deleon got as fat as the Brazilian Ronaldo, and Pontius can't do it all himself.

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a referee and I won't comment on that call, we actually discussed it with the referee crew after the match. I will say that DCU could have played for another 90 minutes and still wouldn't have scored.

8. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012
    So Colorado puts time and money into training the player but DCU gets him because of a lottery. :rolleyes:

we're never going to get it in this country are we.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Not anytime soon.

10. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/rapids/...in-mls-red-tape-with-two-complications/25162/
    According to MLS rules, Doyle must first be made available to teams via a lottery process.If he’s not claimed, then he also must enter a waiver draft. Colorado is not eligible for the lottery because they already used their position in an attempt to add Charles Eloundou from Cameroon. The Rapids, though, are eligible in the waiver draft.
    Other MLS teams could use the opportunity to gain leverage against Colorado. In 2011, Houston wanted Brian Ching. But Montreal sneaked in and took Ching in the MLS expansion draft, knowing full well he would never agree to play for the Impact. But Houston (where Ching wanted to go) was forced to trade a draft pick to Montreal, since they had his rights.
    Doyle and the Rapids want each other. Rapids president Tim Hinchey was a VP with Derby County before returning to America. And Doyle is a product of the Dallas-area youth system, of which Pareja once was an integral piece.
    “The guys have been really accepting of me. It’s been good,” Doyle said. “I’ve watched their games. I can tell what Oscar wants and how they want to play.”
    Doyle said he’s been scouting ways to fit into the Rapids’ system.

Doyle wanted to play for Colorado. Colorado wanted Doyle. But he gets shipped off to DC. Maybe Doyle fits in with DC and makes the loan move worthwhile. But he wanted to play for Colorado. Players have no rights in the MLS.
    Players thrive in situations and environments they are most comfortable in and playing for coaches that they feel comfortable with (whether its because of playing style, familiarly with the coach, or both). When you force players to join teams through drafts and lotteries you are increasing the possibility that they will not develop properly as players. Many players will be able to adapt but on the aggregate we will be losing some players and damaging their potential careers.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    And MLS wonders why so many players put off returning to the league from time abroad.

12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I was wrong. Conor Doyle finished the MLS season with 14 appearances, 8 starts, 2 goals and 1 assist.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played for one of the worst teams in MLS history.

soccersubjectively and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    He nevertheless looked worth a longer-term commitment from an MLS team; I'd guess he could be somewhere in the second or third striker range next season and, perhaps, also a first or second option on the wing. Assuming the money works, I'd pick him up if I were DC. With that said, now that there is some first-team film on him maybe he sees an opportunity to get more money overseas.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I wonder what his contract status is like with Derby. One more year? That's what his wikipedia profile seems to suggest:

At the end of the 2011–12 season, it was announced by the club that Doyle would be retained by the club for the 2012–13 season.[13] Clough said in an interview in July 2012 that he expected Doyle to impress this season, saying "This is the season where if he's going to do it, he's going to have to blossom."[14] He also expected Doyle to feature more in matchday squads.[14] However, Doyle only featured three times for the first team, with his last league appearance being in September.[15] Doyle, though had his contract extended by a further year in May 2013 and he was made available for a loan move.[16]

Looking at Derby County right now, it doesn't look like they have much use for him. They've scored more goals than any team in the Championship and are currently amongst the teams fighting for promotion. They have a group of forwards that are playing well.

So there's no point returning to Derby County. Either DCU signs him, he finds his way to another MLS team in a convoluted way, or perhaps another Championship team has seen enough film to be interested...............?

17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Good signing. I think he has an outside chance to start next season, though my guess is DCU will look pretty hard for more seasoned attackers.