Congratulations to the new Cup holders

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Bajoro, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Cup Bitch Session [R]

Two things:

1) Congratulations to the new champs. They earned it. We'll just reload and try to take the Cup back next year.

2) That was the worst played MLS Cup match ever. A horrible display of soccer. At least it was close and exciting in the overtime periods. But either team could have played without a goalie throughout 90 minutes and still not have been scored upon.

That being said, it was New England that stunk the joint up. While I wanted the Galaxy to lose, I've always had respect for LA's ability to possess the ball and play attractive soccer. But how New England got to final is beyond me. They blew.

The game was a black eye to the league. Thanks a lot, Kraft.

2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. It was indeed unfortunate that the two best teams in MLS were unable to compete for the cup (again). :)

3. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Congratulations should always go to the winners....

BUT..they are the worst "footballing" team that I've seen win a championship since the "bad" old (boring) days of Arsenal. However, they developed a style to win and it worked so I guess well done them, but, it ain't gonna win many fans for the league if they keep playing that way.!!

-Richard

4. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bollocks to that. _f_ the new cup holders. the league has been bending over backward to hand them the cup since inception (hermosillo, hernandez, campos, lalas's unretirement: don't misunderstand, those ARE all crap players, and l.a.'s welcome to them. it's just the underhanded way the league ignored rules to strap on the kneepads for l.a. that rankles. s.j. didn't get anything resembling "due consideration" until landon...and yes, i thank them for it!). so now they've won it, in typically bull**** fashion. hot dog. screw 'em.
    admittedly petulantly,
    rfsp
    still the northernmost documented quakes nut

"the whole _point_ about death, metaphorically speaking, is that it is almost bound to occur before the major trophies have been awarded."
    - nick hornby, "fever pitch"

5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Well said Ross and all quite true. The league has been propping up the galaxy since the beginning so this result should make them happy.

6. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh great! Here comes the typical Quake fan whining. I can just see the comments from fans of other teams.

Kinda makes me embarrassed to be a Quake fan. :(

7. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    did you not see Bruce Arena's comments about how the success of the New York and LA franchises are crucial to the league? He said that in the context of gee, it's great that LA is back in the final, let's cross our fingers and hope they win it this time. Let's face it, the only thing that will make the league even happier is if the Metrostars win next year.

I'd say the league bent over backwards for LA.

Fuxor LA. Weren't they supposed to secede or something?

8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > I'd say the league bent over backwards for LA.

If the league was bending over backwards for LA, they would have gotten a certain Southern California native that really wanted to play for them when he got tired of fourth-division German soccer. If the league was bending over backwards for LA, their second best forward would not be Chris Albright.

9. ross from st paul

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shouldn't you already be embarrassed, being a liverpool fan? any rhodesian army keepers in the side this season?

if i'm whining, what, exactly, did i say that was conspiratorial or incorrect? hermosillo, campos, and even hernandez are no brainers; the league had it in to get them to l.a. (and again, toss 'em, they suck(ed)). if that's the league's agenda, so be it, but i can't see spending money on it from a thousand miles away in that case. as for lalas, KC got screwed on that deal, period. "discovery" player? what a joke.

10. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's one thing to think it or say it among fans. Like off the boards.

And I'm not saying you're wrong or that I agree or disagree.

But it does make us look like sore losers. When those thoughts are placed here, it just looks like whining.

"LA won cuz the game was fixed... LA won cuz the ref handed them the game.... LA won cuz the league set them up for the win.... Blah, blah, blah."

I'm just sick of hearing it. It looks like whining to me. And I can only imagine that it looks that way to fans of every other team on these boards.

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's whining to point out that the two biggest financial fiascoes engineered by the league were Mattheus to NY/NJ and Luis El Flopador Hernandez to LA. Both of which were done to prop up the LA and NY markets. LA had to get rid of three of its best players (One of them, your intended, sjqf. Of course, they gave him to NY/NJ.) to clear the cap for Hernandez. Timing was on the Quakes side in getting Donovan. You know, spejic, that LA was really lobbying on that one and if SJ hadn't been holding the right hand, we wouldn't have got him.

12. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's very little on this thread I disagree with.

But the main point is, our arch-rivals proved to be the best team in the league this year and so they get the props.

It'll just make beating them next year so much sweeter.

Aside: As usual, Arena is right. A strong NY and LA franchise would be good for the league, because those markets have the potential of bringing in huge dollars for the league. He was wrong in one thing earlier this year -- he said the Metros looked like the team to beat.

13. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was right on that, cause everyone did beat them this year:D

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I look at it, SJ lost cuz they choked. Plain and simple. We had a team that had the potential to be a championship team, but they certainly didn't play that way when it mattered. Joe slipped from first in the league to third. Landon certainly lost his focus. The team just fell apart. It's still a great team, but when it mattered, they didn't produce. There were reasons for this I'm sure - injury, world cup players missing, etc. But the bottom line is, when it mattered the team didn't produce.

Now I can sit here and complain/whine/talk about all the ways the team was screwed at the end of the season. Let's take Ruiz's offside goal. Well, yeah he was offside. And it pisses me off that the goal still stood. But how did he get through in the first place? Joe didn't make the save. And I could give a ************ about anyone saying, he was offside and our guys were distracted by that. PLAY TO THE WHISTLE!!! HE'S ONLY OFFSIDE IF THE REF SAYS HE OFFSIDE. Okay, I don't want to get carried away on one incident. There are others and maybe more important ones.

But the Quakes are a championship level team, and they didn't play like it when it mattered. That's the end of the story.

LA, even if they played like crap in the final and even if the league handed them the cup, made it to the final cuz they were on fire. And they won cuz they scored the goal when it mattered. Something the Quakes couldn't seem to do towards the end of the season.

I don't want to dwell on the fact that my team fell apart though. I want to relish in the fact that we have a championship. We had the championship before LA. We had the championship on our first visit to the final. That's all that matters to me.

15. ross from st paul

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i apologize for flying off the handle. bit difficult for me to do any talking off-board from minnesota. and if a fan from another team wants to accuse me of claiming things are fixed, etc., etc., they're free to call me on it. i claim responsibility for what i write. and if they further want to lump all fans together based on the comments of one, it's more an indication of their own stupidity than anything else. i gave congratulatory handshakes to quite a few galacto fans after the game...but i still rooted like hell against 'em!
    =====
    "Even though you know that anything - Mickey Rourke or Brussels sprouts or Warren Street underground station or toothache, the associations that people might have for you are endless and private - can set somebody off on a train of thought which will end up with you sitting in one of its carriages, you have no idea when this might happen. It is unpredictable and haphazard. With football, there is none of this randomness...and I love that... Nobody else gets that, only us."
    -- nick hornby, "fever pitch"

16. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > I don't think it's whining to point out that the
    > two biggest financial fiascoes engineered by the
    > league were Mattheus to NY/NJ and Luis El
    > Flopador Hernandez to LA.

There is a difference between pulling strings to get good players and pulling strings to bring in audience draws. Hernandez was a request from the owner, not the coach.

> LA had to get rid of three of its best players
    > to clear the cap for Hernandez.

So LA didn't even get an immediate benefit, let alone any possible long term one.

> You know, spejic, that LA was really lobbying on
    > that one

And they still didn't get Landon. LA earned what they got and deserve more than they got. The did it with a solid core of players, a reasonably good front office, and good coaching that kept them winning even when Adam Frye was their starting forward.

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that was a little bit heady for you. Those are only two examples of where LA and NY/NJ were given special favors. The fact that in neither case did they work as they were hoped to, points more to poor planning and hoping on the part of those who instigated them than it does to actual benefit. Matteus-Hernandez is an example of where big intentions and big money turn out to be big negatives.

18. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They (Metros) would be better served to create a big-time program, rather than to try to nab big-name players.

It seems to me that LA has done things right, although they've lost so many tight MLS Cup matches and misfired with el Flopador. They at least have a consistantly good team.

Also, it seems to me that LA and SJ have the best programs right now. Really, who else is there? No one else has accomplished much of anything except DC, and they're in the toilet ever since Rongen's Cup.

I hope and have faith that Frank is able to institutionalize his two years of success, and keep the Quakes near the top of the table for the long run.

This is what Sigi has done, and he deserves credit. You knew they would win a Cup sooner or later. This is why right now, LA-SJ is the only rivalry in the MLS that matters.