Congrats to Al Gore! / Al Jazeera buys Current TV

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Quayle, Jan 3, 2013.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they are not worst than the Fox News of the Gulf states, I mean they also do spin thing pro Arab (naturally like our news networks spin stuff pro-western), they also do have conflicts of interest like covering the Bahrain protest suppression (not that our networks did anything about it).

But just like Fox news gave a voice to the crazy right, this network will side much more with the Palestinians and give us a more anti-Israel voice, that should level the playing field with all the Pro-Israel media we see.

So I guess they are not as bad as people think but just like all networks (Fox, CNN, France24, etc) we can see the conflict of interest when you look at who are the Paymasters.

BTW I remember reading on the Economist, that their English coverage is pretty neutral (play to their audience), most of the "spin" is done on the Arab language channel.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Apparently they are rebranding the Network, from now on it will simply be called the "You can call me Al" Network:

3. Football Lover NYC

Aug 21, 2008
    My Room
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Al Jazeera is a pretty good news channel, thier international coverage is unmatched and I consider them the least bias channel there is when it comes to thier "hard news".

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    This can only be good news if we can get those Current talking heads off the air. Uygur and Granholm in particular are terrible. I can't even bring myself to give Behar a chance.

Their documentary series Vanguard is pretty top notch though. I'll be sad to see that go.

Anyways good luck to Al Jazeera. I don't see them making a significant break into the US market because of the negative connotations. Not that it would take a lot to beat the Current's ratings. And not like Al Jazeera even needs big ratings to afford funding this

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Al Jazeera offered Gore more money than Beck did, and I have a hard time believing that they couldn't/wouldn't, what would be the big deal?

6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    IIUC-- and "understand" is used loosely here-- there are three allegedly reprehensible elements here:

1. "Al- Jazeera" sounds Arabic and thus is probably the U.S.' enemy.

2. "Al-Jazeera" sounds Arabic and Arabs sell oil and Al Gore talks about global warming so for him to do business with an Arab is hypocritical.

3. The sale closed--maybe?-- just before it might have produced higher tax revenues and Al Gore is a Democrat, and Democrats favor higher taxes, so for him to not wait till the taxes would have been higher is hypocritical.

These apparently add up to something that it is hypocritical of BS' liberals to not start a thread about because BS' liberals would have if it had been a Bush doing it.

You know, like Dick Cheyney being one of the architects of the war in Iraq, which would have kept Haliburton profitable even if they had wound up with 11 digit liability in the asbesos case...

The equivalency is obvious, you see, and makes everything and anything acceptable because both sides do it...

Or perhaps I am so cynical at this point that I misunderstood the OP?

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This feels like Al is trolling the wingnuts.

And for that, I applaud him.

Crimen y Castigo and Barbara repped this.
  8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because terrorists. Duh.

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It's interesting but unlike Europe, the Saudis/Gulf States haven't bought a name football or baseball club in the US. I wonder who will go first? (being a Yankee hater I'd say they would've sold, but Fox just got a big chunk of them)

10. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I think they tried to buy a port and it got torpedoed (if you'll excuse the pun) on suspicion that letting Arab companies run ports would somehow increase the risk of terrorism. Which is pretty hilarious, given that the reason the elites in some Arab states are attacked by their own people is because they are too tight with the US.

11. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I remember in Thailand a few years back, a bar owner I was chatting to said that Al-Jazeera was the best news channel going, and I thought he was nuts.

Then I saw it, and I realised he was right. It is really good, although I would suspect the Arabic version to have a slightly different editorial policy.

It's always odd seeing the BBC abroad, as it's nothing like the BBC in output we are used to in the UK.

12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The rebranding effort continues.... now I hear the Arabs are thinking of calling their new network "Al Gorezeera".

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What are the main differences? I've never seen BBC except for BBC America, which when we got rid of cable TV about 7 years ago, seemed to have A LOT of home improvement shows. I listen to the BBC radio quite a bit, mostly world service and sometimes the music channels.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I'm starting to wonder if:

1. Vfish actually writes "Mallard Fillmore" in real life and
    2. He's worried Gore might run again...

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    1. I've done a few guest stints.
    2. Worried? I'd welcome an Al Gore run for the comedic relief alone.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Al Gore Green Party 2016!

I would vote for him, unless he puts me to sleep with some speech on Election Day

17. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    I wonder if Al Jazeera will criticize Qatar's tyrannical, dictatorial, corrupt, plutocratic leaders or their exploitation of foreign workers, who have neither the status nor rights of Qatari nationals.

Al Gore selling out to a big petro state. Too damn funny. All you libs can do is make pithy comments. So lame.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You really need to edit this post. Having just made a pithy comment yourself, it kinda makes you look like a shithead.

19. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Dude it's just business. If Al Jazeera really wanted to enter the US market they would of done it with or without Gore. It's not like Gore opened a locked door or anything

It just so happened that Gore was selling when the Qataris were buying.

Man City fans got over it. PSG fans got over it. And results and attendance are up at both clubs. US cable will get over it too, and life will go on. In the end I'm sure Al Jazeera will be an improvement over that crappy Current channel

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why yes, Sarge, your tears DO taste delicious.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  21. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

so the post is like a mirror?

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    "Come on and watch some torture vids with me, Sheik dude"

[​IMG]

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The response from Current TV employees was priceless.

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The sad part was that pic was from 2005. I know pre-presidency he might've blown the Prince in the limo, but after 9/11 did we still need the public handholding?

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Actually I was refering to Current TV employees that felt like Al gave them a good one up the poop shoot circa 2013.... err circa 2012 for tax purposes.