Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cpthomas, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, they make big money from sports. And to do that schools make business commitments to each other. Part of that is finacial indebtedness. In the long run, every school does what is ultimately in its own interest.

Remember that the NCAA is classified as an unincorporated business association, nothing more. The idea that the NCAA has anything to do with students is true only in the sense that by calling them student athletes, they don't have to pay for their services.

2. Hammerhead83

Hammerhead83 Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    "Amazing how the conf shuffle that started with a greedy football itch is now affecting 2/3 of DI and thousands of athletes in all sports....."

Pretty certain that the Ivy League will look the same as it ever did going forward... :)

3. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit if one of the Ivy's decided to take the football gamble and join a conference with a TV deal that needs teams - like the Big East. Maybe they didn't answer the call but I bet the phone is ringing at some of those schools.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of all the conference change possibilities I can think of, except for maybe a SWAC team joining the ACC, that is about as unlikely as I can imagine.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Here are the power conferences in the year 2025 (according to my future sports almanac, after all further conference realignment is banned, as of Dec. 31, 2024).

Atlantic Ocean Conference (AOC)
    Duke
    North Carolina
    Wake Forest
    Rutgers
    Arizona State
    Memphis
    Middle Tennessee State
    Western Kentucky
    Notre Dame
    Cal Poly
    BYU
    Marquette

Big East Conference
    Murray State
    Temple
    Rider University
    Loyola Marymount
    Furman
    Boise State
    University of Maine
    Delaware State
    Colgate
    Boston University
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
    University of the United States (as predicted by Eddie Murphy's character in "Coming to America")

*as you can see, the Big East took the biggest hit in loss of attrition to other conferences

Big Ten Conference
    Penn University
    Penn State
    Indiana
    Purdue
    Iowa
    Iowa State
    Chicago State
    Toledo
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Virginia
    Utah

The Great Midwest of Lakes and Plains Conference
    Ohio University (Lakes Division)
    Ohio State (Lakes Division)
    Michigan (Lakes Division)
    Michigan State (Lakes Division)
    Holy Cross (since they couldn't get Notre Dame, they had to settle for Holy Cross)
    Wisconsin (Lakes Division)
    Illinois (Plains)
    Northwestern (Plains)
    Nebraska (Plains)
    Oklahoma (Plains)
    Oklahoma State (Plains)
    Wyoming (Plains)

SEC
    Minnesota
    Florida
    Florida State
    Texas A&M
    Missouri
    UCONN
    Arkansas
    N.C. State
    Georgia
    Valdosta State
    Florida Gulf Coast
    Houston

Gulf of Mexico Conference
    Vanderbilt
    Tennessee
    Kentucky
    South Carolina
    LSU
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Mississippi
    Mississippi State
    UCF
    South Florida
    Key West Community College

Longhorn Conference
    Texas
    Texas Tech
    Baylor
    Rice
    TCU
    UTEP
    SMU
    Tulane
    Norfolk State
    University of Texas San Antonio
    Clemson
    West Virginia
    Portland
    Santa Clara

Pac 18 Conference
    Virginia Tech
    Boston College
    Georgia Tech
    Maryland (Pac-12 raids the old ACC to expand their footprint to the east coast)
    USC
    UCLA
    Arizona
    Stanford
    Alex Morgan University (also referred to as the University formerly known as Cal Berkeley)
    Washington
    Washington State
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Colorado
    Vancouver Whitecaps University
    Pali Blues University
    Hawaii
    Sarah Palin Culinary Arts School of Cookology (located in MooseHead, Alaska)

6. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

bring back the negative rep button!

SiberianThunderT and Morris20 repped this.
  7. footycoach9

footycoach9 Member

Jan 29, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

8. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't reckon the Alaska-Anchorage Seawolves might start a team sometime? I'd like that.

9. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and what would travel costs be like? I assume no conference would have them. would they have to do buy-in games, or would teams like Stanford and Southern Cal and Kansas enjoy going to Alaska in September?

10. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    They're already members of the GNAC. Presumably, they'd play soccer in that league (at the D2 level like all their other sports except hockey).

11. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    I think Francis Marion is the next school into the ACC....

12. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    That did make me smile....why are they even in DI for just soccer as an independent? At least in that D2 conference they have a chance to be competitive. And why did MD take that game? and then allow a goal?

13. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the ongoing events involving conference realignment, one wonders what the NCAA is thinking in relation to the RPI. The RPI already has problems comparing the conferences and regions to each other within a single national system. If there were to be major conference expansions, with the expanded conferences playing full round robins, there will be fewer inter-conference -- much less inter-region -- games and the RPI problems will become worse.

This year, the Women's Soccer Committee changed the adjustments to the RPI so that they now apply only to non-conference games. This means that a strong conference no longer receives bonuses for wins and ties against teams from its own conference. Could this be a preemptive strike by the Committee to push large (and increasingly larger) conferences to not play full round robins?

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    They might have to up the bonuses and penalties to do that, but it is just a keystroke.

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that, if the bonuses are big enough, they might be an incentive that would push the conferences towards less than full round robins. I wouldn't necessarily support it, but the bonuses and penalties seem to me to be something the NCAA could use to push teams in NCAA-desired scheduling directions.

16. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad it can't be like the UWCL...

Finishing top 4 in major conference, winning the NCAA tournament last year, or top 2 in minor conference means an automatic bid to next year's NCAA tournament with the tournament spread out over the course of a season. Fill out the rest with remaining high RPI teams or something.

(And then it'd never happen but double leg elims would be cool.)

17. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So I know the folks in West Virginia may not be the brightest in the country and this just proves it:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...complains-travel-issues-171404871--ncaaf.html

Seriously, this is hilarious. They didn't realize that travel would be a huge concern until NOW?! I saw West Virginia has a pretty good 2013 recruiting class - but only because they have internationals who probably have no clue that they will spend half of their fall season in airports or in flight. Would have to think their realignment has hurt their recruiting significantly. Maryland and Rutgers are probably seeing the effects now too. Hope that extra football TV $ is worth it...

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    it took UP more than a calendar day to get to Penn State last fall. WVA has no complaints. I could walk to Morgantown from Dulles in less time than that.

19. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    UP ought to try flying rather than busing the whole thing. USAir flys non-stop to Philly, bus takes about 4 hrs from there. Total travel time from campus to campus (or local hotel) about 12 hrs (including the 3 hrs. you lose on the way, so actually 9 hrs. of travel time). Flying to Pittsburgh might provide more options and cut time a little more.

The Presidents got together and did a bunch of stupid with conference realignment . . . unfortunately now kids/coaches/taxpayers are going to pay the piper. With all the money these guys promise everyone, why aren't they just chartering flights?

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Ah, cricket, you forget the NCAA did the scheduling, and decided the best way was to go through LA on the way out and through Wilkes Barry and DC on the way back, and since it was a holiday weekend, part of the team went trough Houston. Did I mention the 6 hour layover the ncaa decided was ok to save about 40¢ per flight?

Ok yeah, the genius bus company took about 7 hours for some reason.

Honestly, they could have gotten to Ulan Bator in less time than the NCAA travel folks booked.

21. justdoit

justdoit Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Catholic 7 to add Xavier and Butler and stay the "big east" Creighton will be the 10th

22. ref17

ref17 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    So, with Denver, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, FAU, FIU all leaving the Sunbelt is anyone coming IN to the Sunbelt? For Soccer it will resemble the SWAC now. The best team left is perhaps Western Kentucky and they struggle against OVC teams. Other sports surely have to be worried about revenues as well. There can't be any television interest at all. Will that conference disappear??

23. midwestfan

midwestfan Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It's all getting a little silly. Look at Butler. Playing 1 year in the Atlantic 10 then jumping to the big East. Xavier and St. Louis to follow and Creighton too. The last three may struggle mightily, as might Butler if they can't parlay what they did last season into something more consistent, and I think they may find that a hard act to follow. Talking purely womens soccer here. The MVC is gonna be kinda small now. Any reason for other teams to join that conference?

24. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    The "new" Big East isn't any great shakes for soccer beyond Marquette and Georgetown. If Butler plays their cards right, they could end up as the third or fourth best team in that league.

The MVC would probably be fine if they could convince Bradley, Southern Illinois, and Wichita State to start programs.

25. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I just feel bad for Temple. They spent about a decade rebuilding to get in the Big East, and then they get ditched. Hopefully the A10 will take them back. Otherwise, they've ducked and dodged their way into C-USA-lite.

Depressing to see all this happening with absolutely NO thought about soccer. Totally understand priorities, but soccer's just completely inconsequential here. Not good.