CONCACAF U20 Other teams thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Feb 19, 2013.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A couple of their guys are on books with New York (academy?) and a few with the French U-teams.

But, of course, a French/Belgian club can snap the US based players without a transfer cost and the Haitian clubs are not in the position to say no to a baguette and a bottle of cognac. Style-wise, the prospects are pretty similar to the African players that populate France and Belgium also.

Most of them won't pan out but there's a lot of raw talent to work with. They dominated both CR and the US with their speed.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well, we can kind of think of them like the Nyassi's and a couple of other young Africans that came into the league.

Cheap, raw materials. Some will stick. Some won't. But there's some things you can't teach, and that's raw athleticism.

Boyd Okwuono is a good NCAA caliber defender. He'll play in MLS some day soon (or at least be on FCD's roster)...............and they roasted him.

3. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Funny thing is that Curacao had a lot of players from dutch youth academies

4. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious on yall's power rankings so far, if you'd oblige.

5. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said Haiti was bad ? Not me.

They were very athletic and, as I pointed, had a better game plan going in that we did. If they could have finished better, they could have won 5-2. Its not so much that they were bad, its alot more that we were.

AutoPenalti repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    This evening we have ...

Panama v Puerto Rico (in Jamaica's group); and

El Salvador v Curacao (in Mexico's group)

7. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Can't wait! :thumbsup:

8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Panama up 1-0 at HT

9. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panama wins 4-0 and El Salvador beats Curacao 2-1.

TimB4Last repped this.
  10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That leaves Panama and Mexico well-positioned to finish first (with respective draws in their group matches tomorrow).

Panama v Jamaica should be a real battle (to avoid Mexico in the KO quarterfinal). Doubt El Salvador will surprise a rested Mexico, with both teams looking ahead to the QF match.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Do we have a Canada v Nicaragua update?

12. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    3-1 Canada at HT with some "odd refereeing" going on.

13. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?

14. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    CAN v USA is gonna be veeeeery interesting indeed.

yaboy repped this.
  15. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If canada can become better this could become a great rivalry.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If I could become handsome I'd be better looking.

Winoman and futgod repped this.
  17. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the rest of us, it'd be a step down.

:D <= we have beautiful teeth, too

derek750 repped this.
  18. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How many NASL and USL clubs does canada have? Canada should be improving by just having 3 MLS teams and I know Ottowa is joining NASL sometime soon. Isnt Edmonton also in USL I think. 5 clubs isn't too shabby.

19. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    3 MLS clubs, 2 NASL clubs by 2014 with Ottawa joining. FC Edmonton just signed 5 Canadian kids aged 20 and under to the first team this week. The pro clubs are starting to have a big effect.

20. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's great. This should have an impact on the quality of the National team.

21. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Panama is showing a lot of depth even with several players suspended they win their group easily.

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  22. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    n NASL may even be better than MLS teams in terms of grooming young players. Young players in MLS just tend to rot on the bench. With NASL, the hope is, due to the lower level of play, the young players will get playing time and improve.

23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Lets not go overboard. Just because NASL is of lower quality it doesn't mean quality young players can just take the field and get good quality youth training and coaching. It seems we really don't have knowledge about the step laddered approach to development. There is a process to the growth of a quality player and its not just games against anybody who'll play them.

24. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    How well has it gone for homegrown signings over the last few years? Have young players improved after signing with the league?

I'm not saying NASL is going to mean automatic playing time, but one would have to imagine younger players would have a better chance of making the transition in the right environment, compared to MLS. As a Canadian fan, MLS hasnt given our young players a place to play yet, just fill out domestic requirements.

Is MLS trying to address it? Yes, but it will be a while. As a young player if I sign with Montreal for example, I know I'm not playing, if I sign with FC Edmonton, a club thats proven to be dedicated to young development, as least I know I have a CHANCE to get meaningful playing time.

25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I'm not familiar with Edmonton FC's commitment. My point is that I agree MLS doesn't have a great infrastructure from academy to young professional to reserve team to loan to first team. That doesn't now mean NASL does. I don't think the logic holds. There is a connective thread to the upward development to first team and just by saying NASL doesn't mean they have any integrated growth ladder better than MLS. In fact with MLS gaps they have a better professional development environment than most NASL teams who don't have any budget to build the limited infrastructure MLS does. FC Edmonton excluded.