CONCACAF Referee Assignments [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some post match thoughts on Campbell.

He should have called a tighter match. He allowed much too much physical play. In cases with two Central American teams it is best to call it tighter. They will complain and become agitated if the small holding fouls are not called. These are not physical teams and they don't want the referee to allow lots of contact.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rodriguez it is for US-Jamaica. Lopez of Guatemala is his 4th.

Interestingly, Aguilar and Marrufo were the 4th officials yesterday in the Meadowlands. It's not that far of a journey, but it might preclude them from getting the whistle on the second game today. If so, we could be in for a surprise like Brizan. Still think Marrufo makes the most logical sense, though.

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. What a dive by Jones.

4. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Thats what I thought when I saw it live. He took a couple of steps before he went down. Since the foul was called, it was an obvious red, but it wasn't even a foul.

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, that should have been Jones' 2nd yellow.

AR1 made two very impressive offside calls though.

6. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, when Rodriguez gets to review the tape he will be upset he was fooled.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding the red card... I obviously initially thought what everyone else thinks so far, namely that it was a dive. That said, folks on the US boards and Twitter are claiming the knee clipped the heel and there was contact--something I really didn't notice when I saw. Anyone have it DVRed? Very interesting that there was almost no protest. That's a massive call and for a player to walk off the field with a red card on an incident where he made zero contact would be odd, to say the least.

---------

Back on the assignments, Game 2 at RFK has Queseda (CRC) in the middle, with Gantar as the 4th. So, in sum for the QFs we have:

Whistles - Queseda, Rodriguez, Campbell, Moreno
    4ths - Marrufo, Gantar, Lopez, Aguilar
    Unused - Wijngaarde, Brizan, Toledo, Chacon, Mejia, Taylor

I'd be shocked if Aguilar didn't get one of the semis. Wijngaarde or Brizan is probably the other guy, based on past appointments. Aguilar for the Mexico match and Wijngaarde for the US game?

Final is really anyone's guess, as there are probably 6 guys who could get it and a lot will depend upon results. Remember that CONCACAF has no problem giving the same ref a semi and a final (unlike every other body I've ever seen), so the semifinal referees will remain very much in the mix.

I tend to think Toledo, Chacon, Mejia, Taylor, Lopez, and Gantar are definitely done, though I've heard Chacon gets very high praise within CONCACAF, so maybe he has an outside shot for the US semi. Marrufo and Rodriguez likely done as well, since you'd need a match where both the US and Mexico are eliminated for either to work the Final now.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something worth noting...

At the moment, Mexico has 3 FIFA ARs at the Gold Cup and 4 FIFA ARs at the U17 World Cup. There was a small stroke of luck involved in getting 2 of the ARs on the field at the U17s, but nonetheless, Mexico has 70% of it's FIFA ARs working a major international tournament in June.

The US has 1 FIFA AR involved in the same two tournaments.

We've got to get better at playing the political game.

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More nonsense in the match between El Salvador and Panama. Small pushes that result in lengthy delays. Goalkeeper injured by his own man. The Panamanian player goes down and rolls as if he was on fire.

10. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re RC to JAM:

I did not see the def object in any manner when he was shown the red.

11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More play acting from El Salvador.

12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panama equalize in 90th minute on a very close goal/no goal call. No camera angle on the line so its too close to call.

13. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid color commentator on Univision states he has his doubts the ball went fully over the line. There is no goal line camera to tell definitely. Based on the positions if the players the senior AR had to be at the corner flag or arc.

14. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    well, their hi-tech animation showed it was a lot closer to a goal than it looked like from the camera angles.

any explanation for the send offs?

15. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF site says they got in a scuffle.

16. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Univision digital technology proves it was a goal. Now will the color commentator admit he was wrong. Yes an apology is offered by the play by play announcer. The color commentator thanks the technology but offers no apology to Quesada then states he's made bad decisions regarding fouls and misconduct. He's a tool. Be a man.

17. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Haven't seen this digital technology you mention, but from the replays shown on Eurosport, it didn't even look close to being over the line, so I'd be interested to see that.

This game has to be one of the worst for play acting, cheating, harrassing the referee and general bad sportsmanship I've seen for a long time. Poor showcase for CONCACAF football this :rolleyes:. Some sympathy with Quesada but he doesn't exactly exude authority, nor seems very proactive.

Having heard the name mentioned on here so many times, I finally saw Brizan referee the other day (his first of the tournament, whoever that was) and can see why none of you like him. He looked awful. Bizarre decisions, positioning, and again, had no authority. Worrying if he's supposedly one of CONCACAF's best...

18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to CONCACAF Englishref. The theatrics are pretty standard for all the Central American teams.

19. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday's Honduras Costa Rica match was an even worse display of theatrical behavior and the referee took less crap and sanctioned for simulation.

20. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK about 2 yards off the line on the first saved KFTM.

21. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both keepers came off the line prior to the kicks from the mark.

22. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 1 made a save off of it though, and it should have been called. El Salvador got pretty shafted on that one.

23. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    On the 3rd or 4th time watching the slow-mo replay, I saw what looked to be that contact between the knee of the defender's back leg and Jones' rear heel. Still not convinced that it explains the way Jones went to ground.

Am I the only referee who thought it was NOT a slam-dunk DOGSO situation? Heavy touch from a defensive midfielder who may or may not have gotten cut off by the defender who was even with him and maybe 5 yards to the side? This all happened a LONG way from goal.

24. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    I wasn't happy to see the US have Rodriguez again. Fortunately, it would be a long shot for the guys to have to deal with him again in their semi or the final.
    Marrufo is back to where he belongs--on the touchline without a whistle. I can't believe that people think that he will make the WC in 2014. He can't even get a knock-out stage game from CONCACAF. Sorry, but the WC isn't going to happen for him and the US is wasting our nomination if we put him forward as our candidate.

Actually, we have to stop playing the political game and promote our deserving referees who can actually handle a match and cease having these bootlickers at the top of the pyramid of the US referee corps. They have no chance of receiving quality assignments on the international scene or producing another representative for us at the WC.
    The behind the scenes politics within our own association has hamstrung our referee development.

BRING BACK BOB EVANS!!!

25. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i noticed something re Rodriguez's positioning upon further review of this play.

When JAM turned over the ball inside the US PA he was actually positioned goal side of our last field player. When the US broke out rapidly on a counter he was never ever going to be in a position IMO to get closer to this play.

Perhaps someone on YouTube will put up an angle from behind one of the goals to verify my opinion. Of course he could have gotten/accepted input from his ARs on this but I'm puzzeled as to why he was positioned sooo damn deep from the git-go??