CONCACAF TV thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by huhe888, Jul 29, 2012.

1. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Big change for this season south of the border: FOX Sports Latin America replaces ESPN Latin America as the rightsholder of the CONCACAF Champions League in Latin America.

As for the U.S., CONCACAF continues to place matches involving MLS clubs on FOX Soccer, and matches involving Spanish-speaking clubs with Univision Networks (TeleFutura, Univision Deportes Network, Univision Deportes Dos.)

During the group phase, UDN and UD2 will have matches.

2. Canadasoccertv

Jul 10, 2012
    Ontario,Canada
    Off topic : I am disappointed no one here is carrying any CONCACAF Champions League games especially Toronto FC's when they are usually on. I guess Olympics takes everything over but they still have Sportsnet World & could at least sub-license some matches to Gol TV Canada.

3. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I thought that Fox and Univision bought rights to air any of these games in their language, and they just choose which ones to air out of all of them. You make it sound as if it's CONCACAF's decision.

This is a step backard. In 2008, Univ would air many games on free TV. Now all group stage games on obscure cable? Ouch.

Plus, FOXLA will probably get lesser ratings than ESPN. And what will they do when CCL games conflict with South American games?

4. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    FOX Sports Latin America North Cone will prioritize CONCACAF CCL matches involving Mexican clubs. Having FOX Sports+ available as an overflow channel solves the problem.

FOX Sports Latin America North Cone actually draws more viewers than ESPN Dos, which draws more viewers than ESPN Mexico (which has mostly international products.)

One way for ESPN Dos to lose even more viewers is to do improvised SportsCenter "Ladies Nights" without proper planning so that the resulting product was a complete embarrassment. Having "Goga" at the SportsCenter anchor desk looking like the Muppets character "Miss Piggy" (last Thursday) is one way to chase viewers away to Central FOX with Maria del Valle in her trademark miniskirt anchoring from a transparent plexiglass anchor desk.

5. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Ok, but you haven't addressed your CONCACAF comment. Don't Fox and Univ have rights to air every single CCL game. but they choose only certain ones? And CONCACAF has nothing to do with that decision?

6. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    I believe FOX Soccer is paying very little (if anything i.e. "$1" in rights fee) plus transmission cost for the CCL matches.

FOX Soccer will have CCL matches this season: all matches involving MLS clubs (including Toronto) plus both semifinal series and the final.

Don't know how much Univision is paying for its slate of matches involving Spanish-speaking clubs, plus both semfinal series and the final. The final should be on TeleFutura if it were to involve a Mexican club.

7. bradjmoore48

bradjmoore48 Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF Champions League matches will also be available on FoxSoccer2Go.com. The matches that air on Fox Soccer (involving MLS clubs) will be delayed until the following morning at 8am, but every other match will be shown live on the service (including matches involving Mexican clubs).

8. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does SUM control the US TV rights for CCL, or does Concacaf sell them directly?

9. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Concacaf sells rights directly. SUM is not involved at all.

10. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
  11. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    I'm surprised no one here has mentioned this news, unless I missed it with all the discussion on beIN Sports and the like. I checked the Concacaf board at BS, where someone posted a story on the deal made for Latin America. So this would just be an extension of Fox's effort to control international club events for the entire continent. None of this should be surprising since Fox Soccer is in need of content without rights to regular-season MLS matches. Excerpt below:

http://www.concacaf.com/page/ConfederationDetail/0,,12813~2883128,00.html

Also mentioned is that Fox has the option of putting digital content on their FoxSoccer2Go platform, although I don't know how that effects this season. Concacaf has made streaming CCL matches available at their website and I also see listings for this week's slate of games there as well. I don't know how long that would be the case. However, I see on the FoxSoccer2Go site listings for next-day on demand of RSL-Tauro, Houston-FAS and Galaxy-Metapan. So it may have unfortunately started.

Another thing is that this would be only for English, so Univision may be continuing the Spanish-language coverage on their side.

12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Oh wow. Who needs BeIn when i can watch panama v. Guadalupe or perhaps that Sporting KC v. Joe Public match will quench my thirst for top level football :(

bigtw64 repped this.
  14. NYRBA1

NYRBA1 Member

Feb 4, 2011
    let me guess.... filthy american poser?

15. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    My disappointment with Fox Soccer was/is not stepping up and broadcasting the away qualifiers for the World Cup. I understand it would have cost them money, but they had nothing live when the US vs Guatemala. If beIN Sports can step up and get the Jamaica qualifier - Fox could have as well.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox does not have oil money to throw around. BeIN doesn't care if they lose money, Fox probably does care about losing money.

17. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    It must be good to be beIN then. I don't know what they had on the night of the Guatemala game. Probably a re- run of a Champions League game or EPL. How much money did they make that night?

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BeIN was not airing games back then, they just started their TV station in the USA this month.

19. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

I was talking about Fox Soccer. They were probably showing a replay of the EPL or Champions League up the night of the Guatemala qualifier. How much money was Fox Soccer making on airing either of those that night.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the replay cost them nothing since they already paid for the rights, so what ever they made was all profit, even if that was a net of 5 bucks. To show the USA-Guatemala they would have to pay a few hundred thousand for the rights of the game.

Maybe if we ask Huhue88 he will say all that Fox had to pay was $1 plus Transmission fees, them fees must be high.

21. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well is part of the Ignore feature right.

But that does make it more likely for people to start similar threads.

Maybe mods can Merge that thread into this one, then again if Huehe has the OP on ignore then he won't see this thread.

24. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

My thought was how many people watched it? So you are telling me that every carrier makes money on every program they broadcast?

A P & L is filled out for every event. No one ever televises something and loses money? Ever?

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pay 5 bucks for the rights to the game
    Gets 1 buck from Subscribor fees (allocation of total/2 hour period)
    Gets 3 bucks from advertising for the game

= Company just lost 1 bucks.

Or Show a replay of the Championship
    Pay 1 buck (allocation of total rights/ times you show the games)
    Gets 1 buck from Subscribor fees (allocation of total/2 hour period)
    Gets 1 bucks from advertising for the game

= Conpany made 1 buck.

It all depends on how much the companies are paying for content, and yes companies do lose money when televising something, IBeN sports will lose lots of money the first few years I guarantee it.