CONCACAF Champions League 2009-10

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by El Naranja, Nov 14, 2008.

1. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Toronto fans are wankers...

2. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    my bad I ment should'nt

3. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I like PR too, partly cause other USL fans don't seem to like them, partly cause I like some of their players, partly cause I like their ORANGE, and partly cause every time I see them play it rains, and the rain looks soooooo good right about now....

4. freshpow21

freshpow21 Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So the CCL is all the Red Bulls have to focus on this year and they are still pathetic. Sheesh.

5. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    Red Bulls, Crap...call them what you will, still F*&$ing Metro

6. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    please no more 'the MLS has caught up to FMF talk'. a league that pretends to reach those heights should NOT be losing home and away series to caribbean teams and barely getting past Salvadorean teams.

has MLS improved since 1996? yes, most definitely!
    has it caught up to FMF level? definitely not!

7. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who has said the mls is equal to fmf.....?

8. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nobody in here, but lots of people in other places

9. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    some dummies....:D

seriously, i believe in the MLS and i was willing to overlook the disaster that was the 2008-2009 CCL (Panama & Joe Public?!?!?!), but this year the league adjusted calendars and didn't allow teams to play in CCL and Superliga. yet the result is the same? not good.

i was frustrated with DC last night that couldn't put away a Firpo team that were no where near to be being world-beaters. for g-sakes, Firpo was at home and stopped attacking in the 2nd half relying on fouls to set-up FKs. that's a team that's asking for an ass-whipping and it wasn't given.

10. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been a slow day, Rey is trying to bait someone into any kind of conversation.

11. freshpow21

freshpow21 Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    hahah...that's why I was near tears when we drew with Pumas 4-4. That was big for us.

12. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then we lost the cred we won by losing at home against their 2nd division team, I remember that night and will never forget it because I almost got pneumonia, I had my whole face covered with orange paint, by the end of the game was face was completely clean from the thunderstorm.

13. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because of some weird qualification system that CONCACAF has, the MLS had the chance to have 3 extra teams with Toronto also having a chance, imagine, the chance of having 5 teams, the league that has won the last couple of years had only a chance of having 2 extra teams, and what happens?, Toronto gets kick out by a 2nd division team (and don´t get me started on how the CONCACAF lets a 2nd division league to qualify, but at least they try to win), Red Bulls lost 2-1 in theor own field against a team from T&T, no disrespect to their league, but the league is closer to being a semipro league than one of the respectable leagues in CONCACAF, and DC United barely qualifies in PKs against another weak team, pathetic, just pathetic, come on, they didn´t play against Saprissa or Olimpia or Pachuca, come on MLS WAKE UP.

14. freshpow21

freshpow21 Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    LOL....Sounders wake up. Just goes to show...home field only counts for so much. :) Barcelona rolls.

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Results from Wednesday, August 5:

New York Red Bulls (USA) 1-2 W Connection (TRI)
    W Connection advances 4-3 on aggregate

Cruz Azul (MEX) 0-0 Herdiano (CRC)
    Cruz Azul advances 6-2 on aggregate

Three more games on Thursday night including Arabe Unido v. Olimpia with the winner joining Group A with the Dynamo.

16. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I was thinking Firpo decided to be defensive in the second half because they could not afford to give up another away goal -- absorb pressure -- then open it up against a tired opponent late in the second half and into AET -- since away goals are off in AET.

17. freshpow21

freshpow21 Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Hey remember that flick near the goal by Pumas??? It was right in front of me and I jumped up and started clapping. I couldn't help it...the goal was incredible! :)

18. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    That was a pretty sweet goal :)

19. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact of the matter is, I don't think MLS is in danger of losing their 4 spots anytime soon no matter how badly they do.

But I do wish MLS would put more emphasis on the CCL.

20. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see after the 2010-11 edition when CONCACAF makes their changes...but even if the US keeps its 4 spots, CONCACAF could always "devalue" one of them. For instance: in the qualifying round draw, they could move CFU1 up to Pot A, and USA4 (Open Cup winner, right?) down to Pot B, leaving that team in danger of facing one of the Mexican teams before the group stage.

21. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    interesting.

but i'm saying a home team that's giving 2/3 of the field up to an away opponent isn't a very good/confident team. WWDD (What Would the Dynamo Do?) in that scenario. put them away me thinks. but i think i buy what you're saying, especially since Firpo was in preseason form.

22. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we sat very near from you, we had tickets (that night I took my grandma, her husband, 2 uncles, one aunt and her boyfriend, the cousin of the boyfriend and my wife, props to my grandma for not wanting to go before the end of the game) behind the goal, originally we had tickets on the high side, but Pumas fans kept standing on that platform on the stairs, after 5 times that Dynamo people and 5 star guards moved the fans from there, they just told us to go to the lower seats, compliemts of the Dynamo.

23. freshpow21

freshpow21 Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yep...North side right? Wow...what an experience. I was trash talking to Pumas fans and they were trash talking back. In the end we were shaking hands and smiles. Most of them were great fans. :)

24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys,

Arabe Unido won their game 1-0 against Olimpia, and took the series 2-2 (1-0 away goals), so your group is set:

Houston Dynamo (USA)
    Isidro Metapan (SLV)
    Pachuca (MEX)
    Arabe Unido (PAN)

25. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true but really, who has proven in the short history to deserve an automatic spot at the expense of MLS? Last year's final 8 consisted of 4 Mexican teams, 2 USL teams, 1 Honduran team and 1 MLS team. Unless USL teams get it (and I think it's a little early to suggest they should...even on merit), the only logical choice would be a Mexican team. And at that point, it basically becomes a tournament to see which Mexican team goes to the CWC...even moreso than it already is.

Good to hear Olimpia lost. Although it Arabe beat them, surely they are no slouch.